Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 09:30   #106

Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
I laughed when Tom Cruise wrote/said out loud to Michael Cane his dream obituary in the movie Cocktail, I keep hoping I go that way hahaha

You gotta be exaggerating, "hours to get him off her" hahaha, I'm sure the gold digging 18 year old prostitute (she couldn't have been anything but that right?) was heartbroken as she had to find a new old crotchety geezer with deep pockets to support her...
She claimed it took 3 hours to get him off her. She was a college freshman doing work for him(no sniggering) with the family's approval. Debutante even. Obviously Happy was not happy about the whole affair and had the NYT delete any further mention of the event. The crushed girl was most embarrassed by the whole thing and refused to be interviewed by the news reporters once someone got hold of the police report. The paramedics however did not have the same degree of reticent about talking what they saw when they arrived. She called medical emergency thinking he could still be alive. When you got to go, what a way to go. Dont know if he came before he went.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 11:52   #107

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I don't remember Michael Caine being in Cocktail...
It was Bryan Brown the larrikin Aussie.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:05   #108
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yep, Don McIntyre has put together the 2018 Golden Globe solo, non stop around the world race.

The Race | McIntyre Adventure

Entrants have to have at least 8,000 miles of sailing experience with 2,000 being solo.

Later,
Dan
Unfortunately its not an 'Open Race'..
Last I heard was it was invitation only.. so I guess it'll be 'More of the same old names and faces'
A far cry from the original.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:13   #109

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Would it have been better if he died in a nursing home? Better to do a Nelson Rockefeller and die in the arms of an 18 year old. Actually on top of her, took her hours to get his fat carcass off her.
I think you are someone thats likes spreading myths with very little of any fact in what your like to spread. I seen you put this on another thread too.

The young lady was 26, whether they were doing anything intimate has never been known. An autopsy was never completed, so its not known what he died of and its assumed it was a heart attack.

The suggestion it would take three hours for her to remove him is just silly. Nor was he over weight when he died?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:17   #110

Quote:
She claimed it took 3 hours to get him off her. She was a college freshman doing work for him(no sniggering) with the family's approval. Debutante even. Obviously Happy was not happy about the whole affair and had the NYT delete any further mention of the event. The crushed girl was most embarrassed by the whole thing and refused to be interviewed by the news reporters once someone got hold of the police report. The paramedics however did not have the same degree of reticent about talking what they saw when they arrived. She called medical emergency thinking he could still be alive. When you got to go, what a way to go. Dont know if he came before he went.
How about you post a link or anything to this stuff your claiming?

Here's a bit of a sensible summary of all the misinfirmation.

http://theamericanchronicle.blogspot...ckefeller.html
Old 26-02-2016, 12:59   #111

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Who could know this guy's (bloke's) motivation. At 78? He may have been terminally ill and wanted to go out the why he wanted to. Losing his boat may have been losing everything. Sad or not that is a mater of prospective. All of the jest about dying under a young lady is an old joke and uncalled for.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 13:17   #112

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I don't remember Michael Caine being in Cocktail...
No no Boatie...it was a Cocktail in Michael Cain.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:23   #113

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

I submit that no one is deliberately 'romanticizing suicide' here. Instead, comparing the bleak choice of nursing home/life support vs. a 'self directed' course. The thought that a terminal illness is different overlooks the fact that life is, in fact, terminal, just one that has a very slow rate of progression. (and it's considerably slowed by life on the water ... ever seen a 'cube farm' in an office building?)

After all, isn't Sailing is about freedom and self-reliance, making 100% of ones choices, and having 100% responsibility for and consequences of the outcome of those choices? I also think it's no exaggeration to say sailors frequently must make choices with consequences that include [preventing] loss of life or other major calamities. So this appears to be a skipper making a choice, one we have no reason to second guess, but instead allow it to be an opportunity to examine our own circumstances and values.

So to skipper Marshall, I bid a serene passage to your new sailing grounds, may the winds be favorable. Unfortunate your departure was not as serene, and my sympathies go out to those who cared about you. Take solace in the resulting thought provoking discussions that the situation has prompted sailors to chime in on.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:34   #114

Quote:
Which is why no one over 60 should be allowed to sail alone, let alone drive a car. Just too old for that sort of stuff.
Ah, wait a few decades and then one day you wake up 60 and realize you're fine, and still have 20, OK, make that 15 years, of capable sailing left in you. I'm there. But last weekend, when was I single handing, I didn't crash into anything/anyone nor abandon ship (when I screwed up - which happens). And if you're out on the highways, watch out, I'm driving (LOL).
Old 27-02-2016, 12:44   #115

Quote:
Sorry about that, but old folks really should be placed in rest homes and out of the way of those who must get on with life. One can quibble as to the exact age, but certainly somewhere in that range one does become daft and should not be trusted with anything that moves. Exceptions do exist, but they are exceptions to the rule that humans start to rot very quickly after 60. Every military on earth recognizes that.
Assuming your post is not spoof, as some discussion has centered on that: I would point out that the vast majority of military generals are in fact 60+, they 'manage' the deployment of younger solders, who are more disposed toward the 'crash and burn' of combat. You decide which of those groups shows better judgement and be better skippers.
Old 27-02-2016, 12:51   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgoodsint View Post
Assuming your post is not spoof, as some discussion has centered on that: I would point out that the vast majority of military generals are in fact 60+, they 'manage' the deployment of younger solders, who are more disposed toward the 'crash and burn' of combat. You decide which of those groups shows better judgement and be better skippers.
Unfortunately, he was not spoofing. Just a young wet behind the ears whipper snipper, who one day will come to realise the foolishness of youth

The vast majority of medical experts and other fields of significant endeavour are also in their 60's.

Hell, in this country we are moving towards a retirement age of 70
Old 27-02-2016, 13:44   #117

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Unfortunately, he was not spoofing. Just a young wet behind the ears whipper snipper, who one day will come to realise the foolishness of youth

The vast majority of medical experts and other fields of significant endeavour are also in their 60's.

Hell, in this country we are moving towards a retirement age of 70
Wet behind the ears and when he gets to 60 will wonder were the hell the years went. I wonder were they went after 60. I hope he enjoys them, a good life is to short in retrospect. Such is life.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 16:48   #118

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

If you look at message #98 it says "After four decades as a physician..." 4 decades equals 40 years. Average age of medical degree equals mid to late 20's.

40 years + mid 20's equals..... mid 60's.

Someone's either trolling or telling stories.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 22:45   #119
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
If you look at message #98 it says "After four decades as a physician..." 4 decades equals 40 years. Average age of medical degree equals mid to late 20's.

40 years + mid 20's equals..... mid 60's.

Someone's either trolling or telling stories.
Yeah but...

Reed1v also suggests that exceptions do exist and thus I presume he is one of the exceptions...

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 21:14   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yeah, but...Reed1v also suggests that exceptions do exist and thus I presume he is one of the exceptions...
In fact 100% of those surveyed think of themselves as exceptions. Just ask anyone. it's everyone else who's got the problems (is it really?).

Tags
sail