Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 08:48   #91

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Without modern medicine(since the 1940s), the average lifespan would be shortened by 25 years, infant mortality would increase to 40%, and over half the population would experience debilitating conditions. Nope, modern medicines and medical standards have been almost as important as clean water and sanitary sewers. Unfortunately only about half the world are lucky to have these. If you want to see what the other half live like, go to some of the shanty towns built up around Mexico City.
I think you missed the S in SWAG? About the same as doing R&D. Take the available info. and proceed from there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:41   #92

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You could not stop it if a group of amateur sailors got together and decided to do a RTW...
As a matter of fact I believe one is in the planning.. right down to similar nav gear as in the 'Day'.
Your absolutely right, it couldn't be stopped and I doubt anyone would try. But, when these things start to get big and 'organised', they usually start asking for financial assistance and enterance fees. That's when a 'duty of care' creeps in to the organisers. And they will get away with it for many years, pretending that the organisers have no responsibility to the participants. But all that is needed is a death, followed by a coroners investigation, or even a civil suit and that so called 'friendly and voluntary rally' comes crashing down.

Two of the most famous races, the S2H and The America's Cup, were both friendly, non commercial races when they began.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:57   #93

Quote:
Right ho..
lets just clear some possible misunderstandings here about my story..
Whilst I really appreciate the kind comments I received afterwards.. its seems some here think its was some kind of Cathartic Release for me.. a baring of my soul..
Nope.. Sorry.. nothing bared..just my teeth as I grin at the memory..
Oh..!! and Thunderbird.. its NOT Nature that depressed.. it was the prospect having to leave it soon and return to unnatural 'MAN'...
Sorry guys and gals if this comes as a disillusion to some but.. for me it was just another funny/interesting event in my life.. no more or less dramatic than flipping a m'bike on black ice at 70mph, coming to ones feet after the third roll and seamlessly walking on down to where the bike was lying..
Two pedestrian witnesses were gobsmacked.. even more so when I proceeded to bend the handle bars back into usable shape.. remounted and continued my ride home..
I do find many folk make a big deal out life but seriously.. how brave does one have to be to recount a funny story.. got loadsa similar hilarious near death tale's..
But then.. what can you expect from someone who comes out with expressions like.. "Roll On F**kin Death..!! I could do with a lie in.."
Know for a fact that expression upsets some CF members.. and others..

Well, I didn't really read it as some sort of 'release' for you , a 'carthartic' moment (which I had to google). But I was surprised at the sharing of such an antedote telling. And you were the first to respond to the intent of my OP

The stuff about about Donald Crowhurst is what my OP was about, but that's the extreemity of what I was asking.

In April I'll be doing my first proper solo with a 200 mile first stint. (I'm not yet sure whether my son will be with me going or not, in which case if he is, then my first solo will be on the return leg, as he's only participating one way.)

I'm envisaging extreem tiredness and fatigue because when my son and I first purchased the vessel we had to sail it down the coast from South Australia and into storm conditions in our infamous strait. With two of us on board, it was exhausting enough for us sailing amatures. But, alas, without learning to solo, I'm simply not getting to sail anywhere near what I want to do, yet alone prepare for retirement when I intend to partly live on my boat and fly home from places. So, I'm really interested in the effects on a person of sailing alone. That's my motivation for the OP anyway.

I did do my first solo for three days, sailing only during the day, on a coastal, last September. Two things I got from that. Firstly, my rig was not set up to single sail (currently being modified) and secondly, I missed my other better half, even though it was only for three days and we were skyping each night
Old 25-02-2016, 13:25   #94

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RC, it will be an experiment for you. You are your own unique person, with your own concerns. Other singlehanders' experiences and feelings might have some commonality for you, might not. Jim has told me that it is more fun for him to have someone to share it worth. Others are happier by themselves.

If you are careful about your weather selection, you will have more space for enjoying your voyage. In the old days, to qualify for the singlehanded transpac, the guys had to do a 500 n. mi. singlehanded trip. Your 200 is pretty short to teach you very much about day to day coping at sea. You may find yourself over-extending your strength due to barn fever. Emotionally coping with a series of days at sea will be different for where you're going, it is almost sort of coastal, in terms of many hazards to avoid, where if your first big one were a trip across the Tasman to NZ, now that would teach you more about yourself, and your rest schedule. Boatie has posted that he sleeps 8 hrs. straight at night. One of our single-handed friends used to drink 2 l. of water before his night watch, and another when he woke up to look around. He ate a watermelon before, too, when available. You'll need to experiment to find what works for you, but this area, with all the commercial traffic on the Melbourne side, is going to be challenging. However, fear can help you keep awake, and make you take care of things when they need it. I guess I'm saying you'll find out if you like it.

Try and enjoy it.

Ann
Old 25-02-2016, 13:46   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RC, it will be an experiment for you. You are your own unique person, with your own concerns. Other singlehanders' experiences and feelings might have some commonality for you, might not. Jim has told me that it is more fun for him to have someone to share it worth. Others are happier by themselves.

If you are careful about your weather selection, you will have more space for enjoying your voyage. In the old days, to qualify for the singlehanded transpac, the guys had to do a 500 n. mi. singlehanded trip. Your 200 is pretty short to teach you very much about day to day coping at sea. You may find yourself over-extending your strength due to barn fever. Emotionally coping with a series of days at sea will be different for where you're going, it is almost sort of coastal, in terms of many hazards to avoid, where if your first big one were a trip across the Tasman to NZ, now that would teach you more about yourself, and your rest schedule. Boatie has posted that he sleeps 8 hrs. straight at night. One of our single-handed friends used to drink 2 l. of water before his night watch, and another when he woke up to look around. He ate a watermelon before, too, when available. You'll need to experiment to find what works for you, but this area, with all the commercial traffic on the Melbourne side, is going to be challenging. However, fear can help you keep awake, and make you take care of things when they need it. I guess I'm saying you'll find out if you like it.

Try and enjoy it.

Ann
someone else posted on another post they set an alarm to go off at intervals.

There is a book, free book, well known on CF, but can't put my finger on what it's called that Snowpetral sent a link to, in that he spends an entire chapter to this very thing. I found that very interesting and will read it again soon.
Old 25-02-2016, 13:58   #96

Rustic Charm mentioned tiredness. Yes, its a problem, especially when you are just starting out for the first week. One not quite solution that folks have tried is to start your voyage by going over to a nearby cove and anchoring for a day to get back into the boat's rhythm. Avoid taking sea sick pills if possible since they magnify the tiredness. Otherwise, nap as much as possible. Usually within two weeks you adjust and can sleep several hours throughout the day and when awake, be wide awake. You need 7-8 hours sleep, but does not have to be done in one go. Office of Naval Research years ago found that as long as you get deep sleep for six or more hours a day, regardless whether in one hour snatches or two, or three hour intervals, you will be fine. Its how quickly you can drop off to sleep.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 14:14   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Let me quess, your favorite movie is Logan's Run (1976) - IMDb

Chris

Quote:
Sorry about that, but old folks really should be placed in rest homes and out of the way of those who must get on with life. One can quibble as to the exact age, but certainly somewhere in that range one does become daft and should not be trusted with anything that moves. Exceptions do exist, but they are exceptions to the rule that humans start to rot very quickly after 60. Every military on earth recognizes that.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 14:39   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Let me quess, your favorite movie is Logan's Run (1976) - IMDb

Chris
No,but after 4 decades as a physician, its fairly obvious that the older you get, the less competent you are at physical and mental labors, with exceptions of course. At Mass General, my guesstimate is that 80% of our patients are there due to aging issues. Every performance test possible to give a human affirms the same conclusion: Adventure is best served young.
Old 25-02-2016, 14:51   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well, I didn't really read it as some sort of 'release' for you , a 'carthartic' moment (which I had to google). But I was surprised at the sharing of such an antedote telling. And you were the first to respond to the intent of my OP

The stuff about about Donald Crowhurst is what my OP was about, but that's the extreemity of what I was asking.

In April I'll be doing my first proper solo with a 200 mile first stint. (I'm not yet sure whether my son will be with me going or not, in which case if he is, then my first solo will be on the return leg, as he's only participating one way.)

I'm envisaging extreem tiredness and fatigue because when my son and I first purchased the vessel we had to sail it down the coast from South Australia and into storm conditions in our infamous strait. With two of us on board, it was exhausting enough for us sailing amatures. But, alas, without learning to solo, I'm simply not getting to sail anywhere near what I want to do, yet alone prepare for retirement when I intend to partly live on my boat and fly home from places. So, I'm really interested in the effects on a person of sailing alone. That's my motivation for the OP anyway.

I did do my first solo for three days, sailing only during the day, on a coastal, last September. Two things I got from that. Firstly, my rig was not set up to single sail (currently being modified) and secondly, I missed my other better half, even though it was only for three days and we were skyping each night
I could type paragraphs about how to do it but..
Its down to your personal psychology as to how you will cope.
I leave on a nice day so I have at least 24hrs to settle into the feel of the boat.. bearing in mind a lot of times I've never sailed the boat before..
Tiredness is rarely a problem for me as the AP does the tedious tiring stuff.. all I have to do is laze about tweaking the genny in or out and the main up and down.. that can be tiring if you've a 50+ftr with large main and only arm power..
A 200nm trip will give you 2 nights at sea.. depending on where from and to.. try and time any dodgy bits for during the day.. for example when I solo'd Wotname's boat from Perth to Port Huon I slowed myself down so that I crossed the bank into the Bass Straits at dawn giving me a whole day to get near enough across to the islands and possible shelter from anything roaring up behind..
Don't overthink it.. its just the same as any other trip in reality.. storms are the same.. only difference is there's no one there to turn around to and say..
"Man..!! we are screwed...!!"

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 06:22   #100

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
And there is a tremendous amount of pressure when singlhanders make mistakes like this. They are not only hard on themselves but the community can be very judgmental too.
If by "making mistakes like this", you are referring to him taking his life, that sounds like a moral judgement on your part and that you are also assuming he did it out of mental duress and not any other reason. I know a lot of westerners are brought up believe the Cosmic Bellhop won't let you in heaven if you take your life and thats their gig not others.
You are correct about the community judging them harshly but after all he is not around to have to endure that stuff.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:35   #101

Would it have been better if he died in a nursing home? Better to do a Nelson Rockefeller and die in the arms of an 18 year old. Actually on top of her, took her hours to get his fat carcass off her.
Old 26-02-2016, 09:02   #102
cruiser

Quote:
Would it have been better if he died in a nursing home? Better to do a Nelson Rockefeller and die in the arms of an 18 year old. Actually on top of her, took her hours to get his fat carcass off her.
I laughed when Tom Cruise wrote/said out loud to Michael Cane his dream obituary in the movie Cocktail, I keep hoping I go that way hahaha

You gotta be exaggerating, "hours to get him off her" hahaha, I'm sure the gold digging 18 year old prostitute (she couldn't have been anything but that right?) was heartbroken as she had to find a new old crotchety geezer with deep pockets to support her...
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:11   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

I don't remember Michael Caine being in Cocktail...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:21   #104

Quote:
You could not stop it if a group of amateur sailors got together and decided to do a RTW...
As a matter of fact I believe one is in the planning.. right down to similar nav gear as in the 'Day'.
Yep, Don McIntyre has put together the 2018 Golden Globe solo, non stop around the world race.

The Race | McIntyre Adventure

Quote:
2018 “GOLDEN GLOBE” solo non-stop, around the world yacht race

“Stepping back to the Golden Age of solo sailing”
In celebration of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s historic 1968/9 world first solo non-stop circumnavigation in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Yacht Race, a new Golden Globe Race will be staged to mark the 50th Anniversary of that epic, starting in 2018.
Like the original Sunday Times event, the 2018 Golden Globe Race is very simple. Depart Falmouth, England on June 14th 2018 and sail solo, non-stop around the world, via the five Great Capes and return to Falmouth. Entrants are limited to use the same type of yachts and equipment that were available to Robin in that first race. That means sailing without modern technology or benefit of satellite based navigation aids. Competitors must sail in production boats between 32ft and 36ft overall (9.75 – 10.97m) designed prior to 1988 and having a full-length keel with rudder attached to their trailing edge. These yachts will be heavily built, strong and steady, similar in concept to Robin’s 32ft vessel Suhaili. 

Entrants have to have at least 8,000 miles of sailing experience with 2,000 being solo.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:21   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
There is a book, free book, well known on CF, but can't put my finger on what it's called that Snowpetral sent a link to, in that he spends an entire chapter to this very thing. I found that very interesting and will read it again soon.
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail