Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 03:51   #226
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm0 View Post
One of the relatively few places I've carried a gun is in the US... Because everyone else does. .
absolute ********!
Old 20-02-2013, 04:14   #227

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
One of the relatively few places I've carried a gun is in the US... Because everyone else does. Fortunately they're as easy to buy as hot dogs. Took me an hour after landing to have a gun in my hand, entirely legally, as a tourist. Didn't see any pirates... Outside my own music collection.

Yep. I'm calling BS on that obvious hyperbole too. Quite a coincidence to get off the plane and find a gun show to buy a handgun in an hour with no background check. I may be mistaken but I don't think a legal dealer can sell to a non-resident. Here in NC, the word is that many have a cwp to carry. I know several. But how can you tell? They're concealed.

In big cities, there is a growing trend to carry and who can blame them? That's where the gangs are. And bangers don't apply for permits. I saw an email lately with pictures of "Thugs of Charleston". How about taking their guns first, was the message. Duh.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 04:17   #228
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

People who would laugh at someone crossing the Atlantic without an EPIRB or liferaft, never give a thought to what the would do if someone decided to kill them, other than to hope it doesn't happen.
Epirbs and liferafts work, they help. With are so few incidents and so many variables there is no way to work out if being armed helps or not. For all any of us know hoping for the best might be a more successful way to go, be scared and be more careful. There's no way of knowing.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 05:06   #229

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We just post the guard-pussy on deck.
Somehow, I had an entirely different image in my mind.

I suspect a visit to Patpong 2, Bangkok will re-invigorate the phrase Guard-Pussy.
Old 20-02-2013, 05:18   #230
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Somehow, I had an entirely different image in my mind.

I suspect a visit to Patpong 2, Bangkok will re-invigorate the phrase Guard-Pussy.
Pictures please...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 05:28   #231

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Pictures please...
Were I to be so bold, I'd be banned for life and more than one moderator would have an apoplectic fit, choking on his Weems & Plath Signature Series Ultra Nautical and Seamanlike pipe.

It would however be the only useful post in this thread.
Old 20-02-2013, 05:54   #232
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
One of the relatively few places I've carried a gun is in the US... Because everyone else does. Fortunately they're as easy to buy as hot dogs. Took me an hour after landing to have a gun in my hand, entirely legally, as a tourist. Didn't see any pirates... Outside my own music collection.
The strange thing is that you can't bring your own one... must have to do with supporting the US economy haha
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 05:58   #233

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yep. I'm calling BS on that obvious hyperbole too. Quite a coincidence to get off the plane and find a gun show to buy a handgun in an hour with no background check. I may be mistaken but I don't think a legal dealer can sell to a non-resident. Here in NC, the word is that many have a cwp to carry. I know several. But how can you tell? They're concealed.

In big cities, there is a growing trend to carry and who can blame them? That's where the gangs are. And bangers don't apply for permits. I saw an email lately with pictures of "Thugs of Charleston". How about taking their guns first, was the message. Duh.
Depends on the state. You don't need the gun show in states like Alabama where only concealed carry and children aged 8 and down have restrictions. I mean, an 8yo kid can carry a shotgun but not a handgun
Old 20-02-2013, 07:14   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Epirbs and liferafts work, they help. With are so few incidents and so many variables there is no way to work out if being armed helps or not. For all any of us know hoping for the best might be a more successful way to go, be scared and be more careful. There's no way of knowing.
So, there has never been a case where an EPIRB and/or a liferaft, was deployed in an emergency, and somebody died anyway? Are you sure about that?

Again, I don't mind, or object, to anybody making the decision that they would rather themselves, or a loved one, be hurt, raped, injured or killed, rather than be prepared to stop that from happeining. Just don't expect me to do that, and don't object to my decision.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:08   #235
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
get off the plane and find a gun show to buy a handgun in an hour with no background check. I may be mistaken but I don't think a legal dealer can sell to a non-resident.
Yes. Tourists cant buy guuns in the USA, gun show or guun shop.

We had this discussion while I was there when someone brainless said 'anyone can buy a gun" - he tried to tell me it was MY constitutional right to be armed while in the USA. So to teach the blockhead I said: "OK, lets go buy one with my passport and Australian Divers License." Of course you can't!

Even at gun shows you need a USA drivers license and thats later checked to see if you have permanent residency, a green card, whatever.... but tourists off the plane can't load up and have fun killing all your duckings and Bamby's.

Mark
PS I did go into a gun store - I was a bit gobsmakeck at the range of weapons - when they asked what I wanted to see I said "nothing. This is tourism for me"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:19   #236
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes. Tourists cant buy guuns in the USA, gun show or guun shop.

We had this discussion while I was there when someone brainless said 'anyone can buy a gun" - he tried to tell me it was MY constitutional right to be armed while in the USA. So to teach the blockhead I said: "OK, lets go buy one with my passport and Australian Divers License." Of course you can't!

Even at gun shows you need a USA drivers license and thats later checked to see if you have permanent residency, a green card, whatever.... but tourists off the plane can't load up and have fun killing all your duckings and Bamby's.

Mark
PS I did go into a gun store - I was a bit gobsmakeck at the range of weapons - when they asked what I wanted to see I said "nothing. This is tourism for me"
A person can get off of a plane or boat and purchase any gun that I own in NC and its not against the law in anyway..I dont need any type of paper work to do this ,from my hand to yours all day long(no felons) its when you go to a retail shop(gun show,pawn shop,gun store) that one would need paper and BG check, person to person no problems
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:28   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
A person can get off of a plane or boat and purchase any gun that I own in NC and its not against the law in anyway..I dont need any type of paper work to do this ,from my hand to yours all day long(no felons) its when you go to a retail shop(gun show,pawn shop,gun store) that one would need paper and BG check, person to person no problems
While that may be right, in many states tourists aren't allowed to have guns. Then again, in other states they are.
Old 20-02-2013, 08:50   #238
CLOD

Boat: none

Why have we become focused on USA guns on this thread? Or are we mostly concerned about the US pirates now?

BTW, I'm much more worried about crazy people than I am about guns. A crazy person with a gun isn't a gun problem, it is a crazy person problem.
Old 20-02-2013, 09:02   #239

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Why have we become focused on USA guns on this thread? Or are we mostly concerned about the US pirates now?

BTW, I'm much more worried about crazy people than I am about guns. A crazy person with a gun isn't a gun problem, it is a crazy person problem.
Old 20-02-2013, 09:06   #240

Boat: endeavour 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i will stick with my louisville slugger and eye poking fish counting gaff.....after bubba warns me someone is approaching......and i have the appearance of the boat they dont want to touch.....
Anyone from Louisville knows that we have the best bats, and the biggest one!
yoda slayer is offline   Reply With Quote