Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 23:53   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: No-see-um and mosquito repellent (Florida)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Bash! All that matters is that RAID will kill no-see-um. If you want to go for technicalities...oil...natural products...Raid's "death therapy". Mauritz
Yap...I find tar werks well too....You just paint yerself up a cupla coats and yer good ta go.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:30   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAntigone View Post
I live at a marina in Florida, and mosqiutoes and no-see-ums are quite the nuisance. "Off! Deep Woods" seems to work well enough against mosquitoes, but not always, and it does not seem to work at all against no-see-ums. I tried the "OFF! botanicals" as well and it's effectiveness seemed the same - fine for mosquitos (if you apply a ton of it) but nothing for no-see-ums.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some natural herbs and essential oils that are effective against no-see-ums?

I'm experimenting with a few things and read a few things. I'm going to try laying citronella sprouts around, for example, and see if that helps against mosquitos. And I've read a few other things like lavender(?) might be good for mosquitoes, but what about no-see-ums???

The only thing I've found so far is this "No no see um" spray which claims to be good and use essential oils, but it's pricy. It's main ingredient appears be germanium oil, I think, for the no-see-ums in particular. Has anyone used this product or germanium oil? Cedar oil? Lemongrass? Are any of these things effective?

Thanks!
For no-see-ums, try Avon Skin-So-Soft. For mosquitos, chrysanthemum oil will work although it might be a bit tough on sensitive skin. Test a tiny patch first. Alternately, on days when there is little wind, try a ThermaCell Lantern on/near the floor of your cockpit.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: No-see-um and Mosquito Repellent (Florida)?

The Avon "Skin-so-soft" is definitely the best for the biting gnats that people call "no-se-ums". It's good tonotice the time and temperature characteristics that favor the gnats too. Too hot or too cold and they will not be out. They usually have their greatest feeding times shortly after dawn and at dusk. These gnats are also associated with the tidal marshes and there are huge cruising areas in Florida where they are not a pest. The mosquitos are also closer to the land and avoided if you anchor further off the mangroves. On the East Coast of Florida, you will rarely have mosquitos problems with the seabreeze, but they can be out fast with a west wind!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

A doc I know was at Shark River once and they moved off a ways because of the mosquitos. They then went over a mile. He said it didn't help.

We just used stuff with high deet and lots of times, skin-so-soft.

Once, after showers I was being eaten up and my wife not. It is usually the opposite. She had used a walmart brand of shower gel that had "Shea butter". I used it and was amazed.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
A doc I know was at Shark River once and they moved off a ways because of the mosquitos. They then went over a mile. He said it didn't help.
The Little Shark anchorage is exceptional, where the mangroves grow as 50' "trees" and The Everglades runs for a hundred miles into the direction of the prevailing winds. There's a frequent measure of success for anchoring off, but you can't expect to avoid mosquitos anywhere around Cape Sable and up to Cape Romano.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43   #21

Boat: Catalina 30
I second the use of a Therma cell. I stayed a few days in St Mary's Georgia and the knots and no-see-ums from the marshes were bad even at mid day if there was no breeze. The Therma cell clears them out in about 5 minutes.

The morning we pulled out I started the therma cell in the cockpit, then made a pot of coffee. By the time I had my first cup poured I could cast off with the bugs only near the bow, no little swarms near the stern.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44   #22

For the boat,

I burn the Japanese mosquito coils "Katori-senko" and find them effective. I haven't tried local talent for that. Also like to run one of those OFF! personal fans in the bunk cabin, just in case

for me:

I like lavender essential oil against bugs, also have used Skin-So-Soft. Depends on where I'm at. don't know whether it's the oils or the terpenes.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 14:55   #23

Boat: contessa 32

Bill Griffin author of Blue Water ran hard aground in the Red Sea on a remote reef and had to wait a month for spring tides to kedge off. The biting insects were so bad that the crew had to paint themselves daily with diesel fuel to keep from being driven insane.
Don't remember much ,but this man was no ordinary mortal. Worth a read.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 15:31   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Baby oil, yes baby oil keeps the no see ums away. Use it all the time in the islands

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 16:27   #25

Boat: Alberg 37

We found that the Goodbye Sandfly product from New Zealand works well on mosquitoes. I don't have enough data on no-see-ums yet, but seems positive. It's an all natural oil repellent. Not sure if you can get it outside of NZ, but you can try. I have heard about the Amber Romance before; haven't tried it yet though ;-)
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 17:00   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

When all it seems you need is something oily, one might feel like a victim for buying any of these different elixers.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 17:23   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

my old-timer Florida fishing guide uses baby oil dabbed lightly where the no-see-ums bite. It works.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:26   #28

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

We just used stuff with high deet and lots of times, skin-so-soft.

Once, after showers I was being eaten up and my wife not. It is usually the opposite. She had used a walmart brand of shower gel that had "Shea butter". I used it and was amazed.
+1 On the Shea butter, I have found the Body Butter from the Body Shop works well for both mosquitos and noseeums. It comes in many scents, I usually get the coconut.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:21   #29

Tied net screen for hatches,and if you are out OIL any oil works I like almond oil,but you need to put a lot.Remember our skin is a organ that breathes anything you put on it it will be absorb .Raid?please don't kill yourself.
luso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Use a can of "RAID - Ants and Roaches" no scent spray. It will also kill no-see-um on-contact. Take care! Mauritz
RAID is poison and should never be sprayed on your skin. It is a for killing ants, roaches, etc. and not a repellent for when you are outdoors. I live in southwest Florida where the noseeums get to be unbearable in the summer. We use a local product called No Noseeum that works well and is natural. When the bugs are swarming expect to still get some bites, but overall it's effective. Their site is nonoseeum.com
. Definitely worth checking out.
turillseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida