Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2017, 13:29   #16

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Is it just me or this is a terrible idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
nope the fuel tanks in vehicles are not normally in the front due to lack of space due to the engine being there. Most tanks are located towards the rear ( where most collisions impact first.)
High speed backing ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 13:37   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
High speed backing ?
nope the idiot in the car behind you hitting you.
On a sailboat you won't hit anything with enough force to cause a rupture of the tanks themselves.
Old 19-11-2017, 13:55   #18

Quote:
nope the idiot in the car behind you hitting you.
On a sailboat you won't hit anything with enough force to cause a rupture of the tanks themselves.
Can't figure out your math ?

Wouldn't at least one vehicle need to be going backwards for "MOST collisions impact (rear) first" to be true ?
Old 19-11-2017, 14:00   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Can't figure out your math ?

Wouldn't at least one vehicle need to be going backwards for "MOST collisions impact (rear) first" to be true ?
you don't drive a car much do you? Most rear enders happen when the front vehicle either has to stop suddenly and the following vehicle makes the contact, or the front vehicle is stopped and the second vehicle isn't paying attention and fails to stop prior to hitting the front vehicle
Old 19-11-2017, 14:02   #20
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
And if you do, you got a much bigger problem anyway.
On my Catalina 36, the winch motor is totally sealed in the interior (behind an access panel) of the boat. I am pretty sure I have a 1/2" drain and I have never experienced the locker lid to fly open. I suppose it might but by that time your chain stack will levitate and again, you might have bigger problems.
I do have a latch on the lid (probably from the previous owner rather than factory) but I never lock it.
I very much appreciate the fact that the chain is accessible from the top - I can easily knock down a chain tower and deal with twists and what have you. The space is completely sealed from the inside of the boat. I have carried a spare cylinder on the top of the chain stack.
The only issue I can see is that when you bring crap up with your anchor, over time the drain can plug. Its easy to notice and correct even if you have only a minuscule sense of what your boat is doing.
For a small boat with limited chain storage, it is essential to be able to knock the chain tower over unless you are the kind of person that only has a few feet of chain at the anchor. I have somewhere around 150 ft with rode after that and if I couldn't knock the tower over it would never fit. I sure as heck don't want to go to the back of the boat, go inside to the front, knock the chain tower over, go back to the back get on top and walk back to the front to bring in another ten feet before repeating the exercise!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 14:03   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

However this has little to do with placing cng tanks in a deck locker.
Old 19-11-2017, 14:07   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
And if you do, you got a much bigger problem anyway.
On my Catalina 36, the winch motor is totally sealed in the interior (behind an access panel) of the boat. I am pretty sure I have a 1/2" drain and I have never experienced the locker lid to fly open. I suppose it might but by that time your chain stack will levitate and again, you might have bigger problems.
I do have a latch on the lid (probably from the previous owner rather than factory) but I never lock it.
I very much appreciate the fact that the chain is accessible from the top - I can easily knock down a chain tower and deal with twists and what have you. The space is completely sealed from the inside of the boat. I have carried a spare cylinder on the top of the chain stack.
The only issue I can see is that when you bring crap up with your anchor, over time the drain can plug. Its easy to notice and correct even if you have only a minuscule sense of what your boat is doing.
For a small boat with limited chain storage, it is essential to be able to knock the chain tower over unless you are the kind of person that only has a few feet of chain at the anchor. I have somewhere around 150 ft with rode after that and if I couldn't knock the tower over it would never fit. I sure as heck don't want to go to the back of the boat, go inside to the front, knock the chain tower over, go back to the back get on top and walk back to the front to bring in another ten feet before repeating the exercise!
as far as Crap being brought up with anchor and chain . It is easy to put in a seawater washdown for the chain.
Old 19-11-2017, 14:34   #23
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
as far as Crap being brought up with anchor and chain . It is easy to put in a seawater washdown for the chain.
While this is true, I find that despite being very careful about crap in general, there is always a bit here and there that gets missed. A few grains of sand, a bit of seeweed etc etc. It clings to the chain until it dries and falls off settling at the bottom of the chain locker.
Sooner or later you decide to rinse the chain with fresh water and, given enough impetus, the crud will migrate to the drain. If there is any semi horizontal run in the drain line, the crap will settle out inside the drain line until it eventually gets plugged. Been there, but luckily I had an air compressor handy as the wire method did not work (and can damage the drain line).
Of course if you have a drain at the side of your locker that feeds directly out without any hose in between, you are likely golden.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 14:45   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
While this is true, I find that despite being very careful about crap in general, there is always a bit here and there that gets missed. A few grains of sand, a bit of seeweed etc etc. It clings to the chain until it dries and falls off settling at the bottom of the chain locker.
Sooner or later you decide to rinse the chain with fresh water and, given enough impetus, the crud will migrate to the drain. If there is any semi horizontal run in the drain line, the crap will settle out inside the drain line until it eventually gets plugged. Been there, but luckily I had an air compressor handy as the wire method did not work (and can damage the drain line).
Of course if you have a drain at the side of your locker that feeds directly out without any hose in between, you are likely golden.
that side drain is exactly what I am installing when I get to that end of the boat with this refit. ( currently the anchor locker drains into the bilge )
Old 19-11-2017, 14:48   #25

Quote:
you don't drive a car much do you? Most rear enders happen when the front vehicle either has to stop suddenly and the following vehicle makes the contact, or the front vehicle is stopped and the second vehicle isn't paying attention and fails to stop prior to hitting the front vehicle
No, I haven't driven in a while.

But your example would seem to end up with one vehicle with front impact and one with rear impact. An equal number. And I imagine the other most common impacts would be vehicle front hitting vehicle side and vehicle front hitting a non vehicle; Therefore I doubt your assertion that "MOST collisions impact (rear) first".

But I hope to continue NOT driving, so I don't really care
Old 19-11-2017, 14:51   #26

Boat: Nonsuch 30

They appear to be painted steel tanks in a location that is often damp. Not a good idea in my humble opinion.
Old 20-11-2017, 00:56   #27

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:

Well, but but but..... if most collisions are of the type you describe, it would mean that at least half of the cars involved crashed on the front...I.e. the second vehicle counts too you know? Ergo, the premise of „most collisions happen on the back“ together with „most collisions are of the rear ending type“ is a logical impossibility ;-)
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 00:58   #28

Oh I see that NahanniV beat me to it.. :-)

Math..is a bitch.
Old 20-11-2017, 02:28   #29

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And rust on the little gas cylinders would be an issue of they are owned rather than swapped... I dunno what practice is in that part of the world.
These are CampingGaz butane cylinders, they are swapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If this is a Najad as stated, I suppose that the gas installation must meet EU standards. Seems odd...
Jim
I doubt Najad did this gas installation, I also doubt the gas installation conform to RCD (CE certification), required when sold new or imported to the EU but I don't know of any EU wide requirements to maintain the boat to these standards in the EU.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 02:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
These are CampingGaz butane cylinders, they are swapped.

I doubt Najad did this gas installation, I also doubt the gas installation conform to RCD (CE certification), required when sold new or imported to the EU but I don't know of any EU wide requirements to maintain the boat to these standards in the EU.

Well, this is the second Najad I have seen so far and they both had this installation. 2 out of 2 doesn’t make a rule but that’s why I wondered if they are really all like this.

These are also boats from early 90s.. that predates the EU at least in its current form, I think.

Tags
rib