Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 19:11   #106

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
One glass bottle of Lye, one glass bottle of Gasoline, tape bottles together and throw hard enough to break bottles. Or dry chlorine in one glass bottle, brake fluid in another--------- do same as above, and don't stick around. If you want a big bang tape a ziplock baggie full of nitrate fertilizer soaked in diesel to a molotov cocktail and toss.Oh yeah duck!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 20:13   #107

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Nothing like good simple easy improvised recipes. More can be found at The Anarchist Cookbook Free Download. All Anarchy Cookbooks available from here for free.

There is only one small problem with all of this stuff. One mistake, a moments carelessness or diverted attention and .................................................. ...
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 22:25   #108

Boat: Bristol 34
Why does a simple question give license to some to spout their political opinions and insults? Some people here can get so boringly santimonious when the subject of self defense is broached.

Is an answer to a simple question without all the vile hype all that hard to give?

Original poster - Don't reinvent the wheel. Buy a big can of foamed Bear (pepper) spray. Take the label off the can and mount in in the companionway like a fire extinguisher. Nobody will give it a second look.

Just don't expect it to be as effective as a 12 bore shotgun.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:50   #109

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
I have been in touch with a police inspector friend of mine in England and gone over this subject to try to get the best advice possible for you all. He said that if you prepair a shotgun or other wepons your then making yourself open to pocucution because you have premeditated the act. His advice is as our friend said prepair tobasco sauce and pepper in water and keep this in one of those plastic lemons you can say that it is used for cooking and came to hand not premeditated. Amonia and bleach can be used in the same way but keep it in a washing up soap bottle same reason. As to being borded you are better to defend yourself from below. A boarder can only come one of two ways down a hatch or the companionway thus only alowing one at a time. As thay have to come down feet first you have their shins and testicals at hand before he can get a hand to you. As I spent 10 years in the British Special Boat Service and was specialy trained to board and retake vessels at sea I can tell you that the most difficult for us was a small entrance. Your Boarder wont have the same training and will want to get in get what he wants and get out as quickly as possible so if you get one or two this method will save you. As to guns NEVER NEVER carry guns it is not in the everyday persons make up to be able to shoot someone believe me if you do it is something that will haunt you for the rest of your life.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:41   #110

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
Outstanding advice.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:49   #111

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
chemicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
One glass bottle of Lye, one glass bottle of Gasoline, tape bottles together and throw hard enough to break bottles. Or dry chlorine in one glass bottle, brake fluid in another--------- do same as above, and don't stick around. If you want a big bang tape a ziplock baggie full of nitrate fertilizer soaked in diesel to a molotov cocktail and toss.Oh yeah duck!
Sounds like we had the same training
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:56   #112

Boat: Bristol 34
I'd be very leary of ANY advice to mix amonia and bleach and you may want to consult a real expert before mixing any caustic chemicals. Many a housewife has ended up in the emergency room for "enhancing" household cleaning chemicals.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:09   #113

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Sounds like we had the same training
Ditto.

You might try:
Technical manual TM 21-210 "Improvised Munitions"
Several available on ebay for cheap. There is also one on boobytraps that is more "landbased" but some might be adapted for marine applications.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:57   #114
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
You need to define the mission. Are you looking to damage another vessel? If so, then by all means look into various chemical combinations. There are explosives, corrosives, solvents. I would assume throwing molotov cocktails means you are looking to damage another boat, or possibly try to prevent bad guys from boarding your boat by setting their boat on fire?
Well, I am assuming you are not going to throw these improvised offensive weapons of crass destruction on your OWN boat....right?

If you set their boat afire, and they are close enough for you to hit them with a thrown Jack Daniels bottle with a burning wick...uh...where ELSE are they going to go but on your boat? Which is what they wanted in the first place....so I suggest maybe concentrating on defense.

Go into any hardware or grocery store of any size anywhere in the world and you can find the jet spray instant wasp killer. A cheap aerosol can that will shoot a stream of instant, knock down wasp killer for something like 15-20 ft. Better than pepper spray.

Squirt that across someone's face and you will immediately change their priorities from whatever they were a second before. Cheap, legal, and effective. Heck, keep a few cans around.

If they have firearms, with rare exceptions, YOU don't want to have any. But wasp spray can beat machete any day.

by the way, you can shave the hair off your arm with my machetes. they don't hold an edge long if you use them, but I never use mine. My experience has been that most people don't keep them very sharp. Mine would take an arm off fairly easily, and any cut at all would be instantly serious.

now that's some shock and awe.

Machetes and wasp spray are legal. If they get confiscated..so what?
twenty bucks at the hardware store and you are re-armed.

Best all around weapon is your brain, with preparation, cool headedness, and the ability to instantly prioritize, and commit.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:20   #115

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Machetes and wasp spray are legal. If they get confiscated..so what?
twenty bucks at the hardware store and you are re-armed.

These are illegal in some countries as well as spear guns. sling shots and anything else that can throw or sling a projectile. Wasp sprays are mostly ammonia with CO2 as a propellant and as quick knockdown agent. Lets face it, if you have to defend yourself you are going to be at a disadvantage because the bad guys don't care if the law says you can't have a gun.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06   #116
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Amonia and bleach can be used in the same way but "
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. DO NOT MIX AMMONIA AND BLEACH. That will, quite literally, generate gas and burn out your eyes, nasal passages, lungs, throat...You are dealing with chemical warfare and a hazmat spill, not something you can put up in a bottle and use against burglars.
If you think you have mixed them and not had this problem, then there were other ingredients or the ammonia was already stale, etc. If you mix this up in a confined space, you may kill yourself.
While your friend the policeman may be well-intended, it would be very unusual for a policeman in any country to actually know the legal ramifications of "premeditation". Cops are quite frequently flat out wrong about the finer points of the law because that isn't their job. Their job is to observe and respond to offenses, not to define them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:02   #117
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
As I spent 10 years in the British Special Boat Service and was specialy trained to board and retake vessels at sea I can tell you that the most difficult for us was a small entrance.
Well, you clearly weren't trained by the UKBA ......according to this months RYA informercial on the UKBA it is SOP (hey, I've seen da movies ) for one of the boarding team to immediately rush down below to prevent any booby traps being detonated..........but they are only accompanied by armed officers if they suspect weapons are onboard........the article didn't say what happens if they find someone down below holding a trigger. Ask nicely?

With balls that big it is a wonder they fit through the hatchway
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02   #118

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Try a little Buteric Acid. Maybe the stench will drive them away.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:26   #119
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
My EasTex chili with double beans...
Old 10-03-2010, 12:50   #120

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Quote:
As to guns NEVER NEVER carry guns it is not in the everyday persons make up to be able to shoot someone believe me if you do it is something that will haunt you for the rest of your life.
As I was once in a situation where someone was breaking into my home, perhaps I'm not an everyday person. I was taking aim when my 7 year old daughter cried out "You're not going to shoot him are you daddy" and the guy beat tracks back out of the house at high speed. She momentarily broke my concentration allowing him to escape, but I have no doubt in my mind had that not happened he would have been dead a second or two later. While I may have had to live with it, I would have much rather lived with the fact that I killed a bad guy than to live with the fact that one of my loved ones came to great harm because I could have done something and didn't. Try living with that one.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote