Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 11:34   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Health insurance for Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Ok, we get it. You despise the USA and most of her citizens. You think we're all a bunch of stoopit maurens with bad manners and bad hairstyles. Any thread that even mentions the the US, you've got a pithy response at the ready. Did someone from the United States piss on your crumpets? Jeesh, give a rest. If you don't have anything "real" to add, go have a (warm) beer and cheer up!
Dunno where you get the despise from

I threw in a bit of info first*, which even I acknowledged was perhaps not entirely relevant (at least not to OP, but others do read threads).......and then Boatman started it

Sorry about the SOH thing, but am not a Republican (actually I am - but a different sort!) so......[self edit].

*LATE EDIT: ooops no I didn't!, at least not first..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 11:39   #17

If you're on Medicare and overseas or even in Canada, you will not be covered. My wife found a policy for us for our next European trip (for a month next month) for like $78 for full coverage. I'm sorry she's out of tthe house now, but I'll find out what it is and post it later. I had a TIA in Canada last December and it cost us $5K!!!

OTOH, if you're not in a "developed" country, your choice to go uninsured. I wouldn't call Europe and "undeveloped" country.

Your life, your choice. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 11:57   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We've been in Mexico for a year. We've spent $2200.00 on Medical and dental here for the 3 of us. That includes and ER visit and 4 days in the hospital, comprehensive lab tests twice, 10 visits to one doctor, a visit to two others, 3 crowns, a couple of fillings and 3 tooth cleanings. Probably about what your co-pays would be in the US for that many visits.
Our US medical insurance would have been $1100.00 a month with a highish deductible.
Old 20-06-2013, 12:28   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Well, because of Obamacare you are going to be required to have insurance regardless of your location if you are a US citizen. It'll run you about $3k a year with basically no significant benefits. Not sure if having insurance that qualifies you for only overseas coverage counts as having insurance already or not but IF not you will be required to have both insurance plans and pay a stiff penalty if you don't.

Obamacare Requires Americans Supply Health Insurance Info to IRS
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 14:18   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I would also like to see some info on that.

I have thought about getting a catastrophic policy with a high deductible and then use DAN to get back to the states in the case of an emergency(assuming we could travel).
DAN insurance will transport you to the closest place that you can get appropriate care. This does not necessarily mean back to your home country.
Old 20-06-2013, 20:27   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Yea, but I think they do offer repatriation coverage for a little more. ????
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:46   #22

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Well, because of Obamacare you are going to be required to have insurance regardless of your location if you are a US citizen.
Not actually 100% correct. There is an out in the fine print of the ACA... overseas Americans are not exempted; technically speaking they are presumed to have acceptable minimal coverage.

There's more about this topic from ACA at: Affordable Healthcare Act does not apply abroad :: American Citizens Abroad (ACA)

Also see: Frequently asked Questions concerning Medicare and the Affordable Health Care Act :: American Citizens Abroad (ACA)

From their FAQ:

Q: What are the implications of the Affordable Health Care Act for Americans abroad? Will I be penalized for not having American health insurance coverage?

A: Under the Affordable Health Care Act (Public Law 111-148, popularly known as "Obamacare") there is a specific provision that individuals residing outside the United States or residents of territories "shall be treated as having minimum essential coverage" for any month they are qualified under the tax code as "residing abroad."

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 00:17   #23

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

In Canada the Medicare coverage expires if you are out of the country for more than 6 months. We were hooked up with Interglobal which I believe is out of the UK, while working in Qatar for three years. Oddly enough we didn't need the coverage while in Qatar where all medical services are free, but rather for when we visited any other country on leave. However they did not cover any claims for getting treatment in the US. The only country in the world where they refused coverage.l
Old 21-06-2013, 00:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Well, because of Obamacare you are going to be required to have insurance regardless of your location if you are a US citizen. It'll run you about $3k a year with basically no significant benefits. Not sure if having insurance that qualifies you for only overseas coverage counts as having insurance already or not but IF not you will be required to have both insurance plans and pay a stiff penalty if you don't.

Obamacare Requires Americans Supply Health Insurance Info to IRS
That's not true.

ACA – Obamacare’s Effects on American Expats Living Abroad | Surviving Yucatan

If you can prove you are not a "bona fide resident" of the United States than you don't need to have US insurance.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 02:09   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Ok, we get it. You despise the USA and most of her citizens. You think we're all a bunch of stoopit
(spelled stupid)
maurens
(spelled morons)
with bad manners and bad hairstyles (Donald Trump?).
Any thread that even mentions the the US, you've got a pithy response at the ready. Did someone from the United States piss on your crumpets? Jeesh, give a rest. If you don't have anything "real" to add, go have a (warm) beer and cheer up!

To the OP, I've used DAN in the past and it's an excellent insurance for what it is.
Of course perhaps you are being facetious. Bad manners are, unfortunately not only found in the US

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 20:32   #26

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Cigna offers an expat policy. Have not had to use it
Old 26-06-2013, 07:40   #27

Dohenyboy: Thanks for the info. I called SiGNA International in Scotland and they do have policy for us. But there is one catch. We must have an address in the EU to qualify. That will be no problem as we will be in Northern Spain for some time and as long as we maintain that address the insurance will be in force. A couple of problems remain and one is the EU tax. So I will have to investigate how to get around that problem. The other problem is cost. They haven't quoted a price yet but the annual cost vs. self insurance will be an interesting study.
I'll post my findings as soon as I get all the info from SIGNA.

Kingwoodie
s/v "The Lady Margaret Ann"
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 07:52   #28

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Not actually 100% correct. There is an out in the fine print of the ACA... overseas Americans are not exempted; technically speaking they are presumed to have acceptable minimal coverage.
Since the IRS is going to be overseeing Obamacare, if you are a Republican you're screwed. If you're a Democrat, whatever coverage you have is cool.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 08:20   #29

Boat: Cal 2-27

If you don't get obamacare the "penalty" is going to be nominal. I have seen the number 95 dollars mentioned several times.

If I were traveling and not working in the states, it would probably be easier to give them 95 dollars then file the paperwork to show why I don't need to pay the 3k for ins that I don't need. Shute, there is probably a 95 dollar charge to file the paperwork!
Old 26-06-2013, 08:23   #30

Boat: Cal 2-27

95 dollars cited....
Readers ask, we answer! What happens if you don’t pay Obamacare’s tax penalty?

95 from another source
Two-Thirds of Uninsured Not Sure They'll Buy Insurance Under Obamacare

95 or 1%
Will you buy into Obamacare or pay the penalty? | Marketplace.org

Ok, so a few grand if you make a lot, but most americans would pay 95 dollars.

Tags
health, insurance