Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 04:24   #1

Health Insurance

Hello everyone, I have been looking at international health insurance for the past two months. I find a lot of sites with nice offers but I find out that a lot of them make it hard on the pay off when it comes down to it. We live parts of the year in Canada and most of the year in Honduras. We will be eventually traveling on our boat with our two youngsters. Does anyone has experience with health insurance providers that could provide quality coverage for worldwide (excluding United States) but including home countries (Canada and France). Any help from personal experience would be very welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance
Pierre
pierreuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 22:07   #2

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft
I have always used BCAA...I am from the west coast of Canada. It's about $40/month for one person.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 00:13   #3

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Health Insurance

Welcome to CF, Pierre. One additional form of insurance you should carry is DAN (Divers Alert Network). Membership is $35/yr for the family, & other medical policies depend on where you're from. For us (US citizens) it was $335/yr for our family of 4. They're non-profit & provide evacuation insurance & some medical for accidents. Incidents do NOT have to be diving related. Our son was helicoptered out of the high Himalaya & we never even saw the bill. When I started getting a torn retina in the Seychelles they flew me AND my wife to Jo'burg, South Africa, & paid for my eye surgery (would have flown in a custom air-ambulance but we told them it wasn't necessary). Highly recommended.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34   #4
Loz

Just read the policy for DAN Asia Pacific, and you need to have a permanent address for at least 3 months which rules out those cruising all year round. We are looking for a family medical insurance policy that will cover world cruising without having a permanent base. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:59   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Just read the policy for DAN Asia Pacific, and you need to have a permanent address for at least 3 months which rules out those cruising all year round. We are looking for a family medical insurance policy that will cover world cruising without having a permanent base. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Cruising does not remove your permanent address status. Just keep one in the same city that you left from. A friends address is fine. Then be a permanent resident of that district. You can use to vote and for other needs.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:00   #6

Boat: Lagoon 560

I am after exactly the same thing so would be interested to see what you find. I am UK based at the moment. Not sure if that matters or not ?
oos_ya_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15   #7
Loz

With DAN you have to prove your residential status... See below

FAQs
18. I'll be travelling for more than three months and won't have a fixed residential address during that time. Can I join DAN and be covered for this trip?

No. To be a DAN Member you need to provide us with an actual residential address where you will be living for most of the annual membership period. Your coverage is based on this address and, in the event of a claim, you could be required to produce evidence of living at this address over the relevant period. However, you can make multiple trips of up to three months away from this residence during the period of insurance.

For those who are travelling extensively without a proper residential address, we recommend that you take out a general annual travel insurance.
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 14:26   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
With DAN you have to prove your residential status... See below

FAQs
18. I'll be travelling for more than three months and won't have a fixed residential address during that time. Can I join DAN and be covered for this trip?

No. To be a DAN Member you need to provide us with an actual residential address where you will be living for most of the annual membership period. Your coverage is based on this address and, in the event of a claim, you could be required to produce evidence of living at this address over the relevant period. However, you can make multiple trips of up to three months away from this residence during the period of insurance.

For those who are travelling extensively without a proper residential address, we recommend that you take out a general annual travel insurance.
Regardless of what a Dan FAQ says, cruising does not need to affect your legsl resdence.
Old 20-12-2012, 05:29   #9

Health insurance or medical insurance is a coverage offered by insurance companies to the policy holders during times of medical crisis. It might happen that a medical emergency strikes and you don’t have enough funds to payback hospital or other related bills. If you own a health insurance that covers hospitalization and related expenses then you can claim that amount from your insurer.

--------------------------------------
Best insurance and finance Deals
manishgrover935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 05:40   #10

Check to see if your Canadian policy (I'm guessing it's nationalized?) covers claims retroactively. From being down here in Mexico (with a pregnant wife who will be delivering and a two year old daughter) I find the bills to be either low enough to not matter or high enough that we put on a credit card then submit a claim after the fact with all our receipts.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, insurance