Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 14:17   #61

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Re: Disqualifying crew based on medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Just GIVE me the suppository and I'll deal with it myself!
Trust me! If you're conscious, you're putting it in yourself. I stock 'em. I don't stick 'em.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 14:25   #62
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail
I stock 'em. I don't stick 'em.
Hysterical +1

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 14:31   #63
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Trust me! If you're conscious, you're putting it in yourself. I stock 'em. I don't stick 'em.

ROTFL!!!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 15:06   #64
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
The Circumnavigators - by Don Holm - Moby Dick and other hazards

book called "Surviving the Savage Sea" about a Scottish family that survived in a life raft for 37 days after their ship was holed and sunk by killer whales.

It's "Survive the Savage Sea" by Dougal Robertson and fam. They did enemas because the only water they had was rainwater caught in the bilge of an overpopulated hard dinghy (8 people in an 8' hard dinghy for 38 days), which was of course quite dirty and contaminated. The wife thought it was safer to ingest that way. There was also an interesting fellow who crossed the Atlantic in the '50s with no supplies whatsoever, including water. He survived in part by giving himself sea water enemas, in the belief that his gut was filtering out some of the salt content (RO water maker in your bowel). Various navies have since done exhaustive testing (don't want to be the sailor conscripted for that test) and debunked this belief. Salt water enemas are actually bad for a dehydrated person, for obvious reasons.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 15:49   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Well, now that we've had that discussion up the butt, I will quietly stock the IV chest with antiemetics and try to stop laughing if I ever have to give them. Just as Gentlemen sailors only sail downwind, some docs end their exam at the naval thank you very much.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 08:32   #66
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet

Can't remember the name of the book. For some reason the name Douglas comes to mind.
I think you mean Maurice and maralyn bailey.

Dave
Old 16-06-2012, 16:51   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I don't laugh at the medical pot thing. If you had had, or knew someone who had, a disease where they truly benefited, you wouldn't be laughing.

That said, it would still be problematic to have it on board no matter how legitimate its use was. I'm really glad we've had this discussion, because on a cruise I will include that in my rules -- NO pot or other illegal drugs.
I don't want to stray too far off topic but I lost count of the pot heads that conjure up a disease or nervous disorder to stay high.
Yes, I know a friend with glaucoma and another one with cancer who find relief that way. But for each of them, I can count 10 that are loaded every hour of everyday. I laugh at them and their lame excuse for a life.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 17:58   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I,experienced a bad situation with a close friend ,He has a condition Atriel Fibulation.After 24 hours I,sensed he was acting strange and tired,The next day he told me hid A fib was acting up,left him tired and almost motion less.The next day I,put into marina en route . With at least 10 days to go I,didn't want any thingg to happen to him,so I,rented a car and drove 800 miles to take him home,perhaps the stress was too much,I,would never have taken him along had I,know his condition was that bad.Hes fine now but took me 2 weeks to get back to the boat plus probably 1500.00 in additional expenses. I,would never ask to crew for some one,because of my own medical conditions I,know I,appear fine and don't takr any meds I,am an Ortopedics physican best customer.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:27   #69

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow

I think you mean Maurice and maralyn bailey.

Dave
No, it was the Dougal Robertson story mentioned above. Good read. I read it and Adrift back to back. Those two books made me want to work on a farm away from the water for a little while.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 04:29   #70

Boat: Skookum 53'

Marijuana is a definitive cure for seasickness, many commercial fishers can attest to that.
Old 17-06-2012, 05:06   #71
Armchair Bucketeer

Thinking a bit more on the topic.....

Would not be many things that would automatically disqualify folks onboard (especially if they compensate in other ways, small bikini, bringing lots of beer......or both ) - but I would like to know of anything that might impact on the boat / me, and if they are on Meds then I would like to also know that (and have half an idea of the consequences of them not staying on them)......would also be a comfort to know whether the condition impacts on their life aboard (if I know I can work around that - for benefit of all concerned ), but odds are that the person doesn't really know, especially for an extended trip - and merely thinks it won't be a problem.

The recreational drug thing only bothers me insofar as (IMO) the legal problems are out of all proportion to the "crime" - and land on my plate, not simply those who are indulging. The basic rule is therefore zero, the Penalty for sneeking anything onboard is simply a shrug of the shoulders. The Penalty for taking the p#ss depends on how deep the water is .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 05:22   #72
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Marijuana is a definitive cure for seasickness, many commercial fishers can attest to that.

That seems quite plausible, and yet for some reason I'm not interested in having my boat confiscated because someone else is prone to seasickness...

just sayin ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 05:52   #73

Boat: Skookum 53'

I wasn't speaking to the legalities, only the practical application.
Old 17-06-2012, 06:08   #74

Boat: Ohlson 38

Yacht Carrying Tiny Amount of Pot Confiscated
May 09, 1988|From Times Wire Services

MIAMI — The Coast Guard seized a 133-foot yacht valued at $2.5 million after finding one-tenth of an ounce of marijuana aboard, claiming the vessel under a "zero tolerance" crackdown on drugs.

The Ark Royal, registered in Delaware with its home port in Philadelphia, was seized Saturday in international waters between Mexico and Cuba after Coast Guard officers found the butt of a marijuana cigarette in a trash can and a small amount of marijuana in a stateroom, Coast Guard officials here said.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 06:38   #75
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i had a potential wanna be crew__reread as PASSENGER--LOL--attempt to try to convince me his ocd and fidgety ways were "normal"---once he exhibited a total lack of any kind of survivability on the sea-i let him go---and i am finding out more about his particular form of ptsd and his bragging about being a drug smuggler and disrespect of the mexican people--totally not acceptable behavior added to his inabilities made total lack of safety-he was left in mazatlan.

i had a pair try to crew--she on a boat only 4 times in life and had a gastric plication for obesity and was medication dependent and self absorbed. he was allegedly a graduate of some asa certification class----they were not able to survive a long passage--i told them i was going to sail 100 miles offshore and they vanished--thank the gods....

special needs are something difficult to address at sea---the wastage of provisions due to lack of desire of someone to eat leftovers--not an option on my boat. i am not able to babysit anyone unable to care for self in a proper and survivable fashion.

if someone is med dependent and hasnt the necessary meds for a passage, i cannot carry them on my boat. i can neither be responsible for their failures nor can i store people on my boat who are not able to function.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, medical