Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 17:39   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot 38
Carry a Gun on Board?

I plan to fly down to St Vincent next week, pick up a sailboat, and sail from St Vincent up to Florida. Is it wise to carry a pistol? I have read a few articles about vandels boarding at night, and or stealing, robbing and a few rapes in the southern Caribbean areas. I have not been able to find to much info online about the "laws" in the islands. I was surprised my "Cruising Guides" I bought to read, don't even mention the laws. Seems people are afraid to talk about the issue. What I gather is: You can carry a gun on board, but most countries don't want you to carry it on land. You have to "check it in" with customs when your flight arrives. When departing on sea, get it back. Then keep it onboard ( where you want it, the rest of the trip ). I am not looking for moral pros and cons. I would like to know the laws, and practical "real life" way to be safe. I know how to use a gun, and will not shoot myself in the foot.
Old 09-07-2009, 17:51   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I think you've got a pretty good idea. I wouldn't check anything nice or expensive into customs, since there's often an excellent chance you won't get it back (theft by cop). I'd also question usefulness of something you'll often have to surrender in the place you might want it (at anchor).

I also suggest never ever take a chance and hide a gun aboard. Foreign prisons are not where you want to be.

Personally, I like sturdy doors and locks. A sailboat can make an excellent bunker, so to speak. Just IMHO.
Old 09-07-2009, 17:52   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Google each of the countries you think you might visit and look at their individual laws for visitors. Alternately, Google "Noonesite" and check the individual locations.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-07-2009, 18:12   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mozingo View Post
I plan to fly down to St Vincent next week, . Is it wise to carry a pistol? I
It would be funnier than hell to see you walking through the Texas airport saying "Where do I check this gun it?"

On a more positive note: We just had a screen door custom made for the companionway. (Note the curves at the bottom!) It only cost AU$80 and the boat is secure.

Then when the impoverished kids are looking for food on the boat one can give them the finger instead of blowing their heads off

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03912.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	8895  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 09-07-2009, 18:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I like your approach Mark. They first have to get to you for there to be any violent crime.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 09-07-2009, 18:40   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I plan to fly down to St Vincent next week, pick up a sailboat, and sail from St Vincent up to Florida. Is it wise to carry a pistol?
Usually you don't need a pistol. If you look scary enough they just give you the money. You just don't want to get caught. Once you shoot them they take it personal. I wouldn't think you would have enough time for burglary being in the delivery business.

Just a clue. Don't use your real name on the Internet if you contemplate a criminal side job smuggling weapons between countries. It's kind of on the radar these days. Expect to be searched when you arrive. Most countries take a dim view of weapons smuggling. That really is the issue. You might not get robbed but you might be dumb enough to get caught. It's a risk you would be taking.
Old 09-07-2009, 19:15   #7

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
You should wear a Michael Jackson mask instead. That'sll put em off.
Old 09-07-2009, 19:47   #8

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
gun

Ever get hit in the face at close range by a 12 ga parachute flare?
The Coast Guard insists that you have three on board.
Old 09-07-2009, 19:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Ever get hit in the face at close range by a 12 ga parachute flare?
They work better in the movies.
Old 09-07-2009, 19:59   #10

I've always wondered about using my 12ga flare gun as a weapon in an emergency. I'd think just having one pointed at you would be a discouraging factor.
Old 09-07-2009, 19:59   #11

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
flares

any charge that will loft a flare 3000 ft into the sky is going to mess you up at 5 ft
Old 09-07-2009, 20:13   #12

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
A 25mm flare gun has a much higher muzzle velocity and 4 times the energy of a 12 gauge.
A jar of gasoline followed by a flare I would imagine would have some effect on a vessel attempting to come alongside. At least they would be distracted for a while.
Then there is the usual assortment of spear guns or Bahama slings for close in work if you do not want to torch your own vessel.
If you are travelling through an area filled with pirates it may be an idea to pick up a one of those high pressure water sprayers, 3000 PSI sounds about right. You probably could reach out to 200-300 feet or so with the right nozzle with a stream of gasoline. It would be unfortunate if someone was smoking or fired a gun on the approaching vessel. It would serve double duty for cleaning your bottom.
Old 09-07-2009, 20:40   #13

Boat: Gullfstar 50
I miss my ex...but my aim is getting better. I support, embrace, and suggest gun control. Gun control is hitting what you aim at. There is no better security to someone traveling alone in unfamiliar waters than to have a firearm aboard. I have put a LAWS next to my companionway that will thwart any attempt of piracy. Seriously, if the laws are what decide what you will do, then I suggest alternatives to a firearm. A flare gun and a pickle jar filled with fuel that will break on impact would keep anyone busy until they sink. In other words, improvise and overcome.
Old 09-07-2009, 21:44   #14

Boat: Fountain Pajot 38
Gun on board?

Google "Noonesite" ... great web site with the info on firearms and declaring them. Also other good facts......
Old 09-07-2009, 22:00   #15

Boat: Buizen 48
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
A 25mm flare gun has a much higher muzzle velocity and 4 times the energy of a 12 gauge.
A jar of gasoline followed by a flare I would imagine would have some effect on a vessel attempting to come alongside. At least they would be distracted for a while.
Then there is the usual assortment of spear guns or Bahama slings for close in work if you do not want to torch your own vessel.
If you are travelling through an area filled with pirates it may be an idea to pick up a one of those high pressure water sprayers, 3000 PSI sounds about right. You probably could reach out to 200-300 feet or so with the right nozzle with a stream of gasoline. It would be unfortunate if someone was smoking or fired a gun on the approaching vessel. It would serve double duty for cleaning your bottom.

I like your idea Mesq!
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns