Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2017, 13:46   #91

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Are liferafts really a rational expenditure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's only because the raft was way out of date, and you let the service station provide all the consumables. All those things have different service periods, none as little as one year. My station charges 110GBP for the service (about $140), and lets me provide the consumables, if they're needed. I don't bother with changing the expensive proprietary canopy light battery provided it works when tested; flares get to go a year or two over, and hydro testing is only required once in 10 years IIRC.

So your next service shouldnt cost you more than $250.

I would not, however, want a raft with one year service interval. What a PITA that would be. Modern rafts are vacuum packed and go three years.
That's interesting that you get this done without meeting all the raft manufacturers inspection criteria. Whenever I've had a raft inspected at a certified inspection station they have supplied an inspection certificate with the process indicating that it met the manufacturers requirements. Of course, it has always cost me a lot more than you are quoting.
I just had my Viking raft done in New Zealand for it's 3 year check. Cost about us$1,100.
Old 22-06-2017, 13:50   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
That's interesting that you get this done without meeting all the raft manufacturers inspection criteria. Whenever I've had a raft inspected at a certified inspection station they have supplied an inspection certificate with the process indicating that it met the manufacturers requirements. Of course, it has always cost me a lot more than you are quoting.
I just had my Viking raft done in New Zealand for it's 3 year check. Cost about us$1,100.
I get a certificate. Much needed in case of inspection by Germans. We are a "required carry" vessel.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 13:57   #93

Quote:
I get a certificate. Much needed in case of inspection by Germans. We are a "required carry" vessel.
So how do you get a manufactures certificate when there are items in the raft that are expired. In your example the light battery. None of the places I've used would give a certificate if they did not ensure all items met the manufacturer's spec. And these specs are a money making thing for the manufacturers - kinda like razor blades.
Old 22-06-2017, 14:00   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So how do you get a manufactures certificate when there are items in the raft that are expired. In your example the light battery. None of the places I've used would give a certificate if they did not ensure all items met the manufacturer's spec. And these specs are a money making thing for the manufacturers - kinda like razor blades.
I dunno. Cooperative service station maybe?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 22-06-2017, 14:10   #95

Quote:
I dunno. Cooperative service station maybe?
Sounds a little underhanded. For most brands of rafts there is very little competition when it comes to service stations. The manufacturers only allow a small number in each geographic area. So their business is a captive audience, hence the high prices. Maybe we could start a website that just sells the certificate without all the bother of actually sending in the raft I
Old 22-06-2017, 21:04   #96
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

[QUOTE=hellosailor;2418538
....On life rafts being too expensive? Damned right. That easy four grand for something that will be condemned in four years, or become just too much of a gamble to keep beyond that time? Is ludicrous. I can't believe that a little technology and effort couldn't do better. And if you've got a buddy at Goodyear, I think I already know some mundane ways to beat what's on the market. Problem is...who would want to make a better one? That just kills the profits.
[/QUOTE]

Here you go...and its fun.... just like guns!

https://youtu.be/nIAaXVNuBYk
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 21:40   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I do ICW and coastal between the Great Lakes and Bahamas and have never felt the need for a raft. In my MED (marine emergency duties) training, eight of us had to get into a raft in rough conditions while wearing flotation suits. it took all of us to get the others in. One or two people getting in successfully in very rough conditions is ..... not a bet I'd take after that experience.
Old 26-06-2017, 18:19   #98

Boat: Pearson 34-II

A life raft is only needed if you think you need one. The pros and cons are really based on one's personality. If you are uncertain about the seaworthiness of your boat in all imaginable conditions and fear death then, by all means, buy a liferaft. However, it is not a guarantee of survival nor despite untold dollars spent on certifications a guarantee that it will function properly at the critical moment. We have never owned a life raft and would never buy one. It was never an issue of money but rather a personal choice. But, I never wore a helmet when I rode my bicycle or motorcycle and I fought wearing seatbelts to the very end when the local gendarmes imposed hefty fines for not wearing them(Oh, how I love how my government protects me!). The bottom line is: do what makes you feel safe. I would rather spend my money ensuring that my integral boat systems, hull, deck and rigging were structurally safe and sound and that my seamanship skills were dependable and strong. That gives me the confidence to sail in all conditions and in all seas. Thankfully, buying a life raft has not been mandated and until it is required, there will never be one on my boat. But then again, I don't fear the dark, dying or the bogeyman. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 27-06-2017, 00:38   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
A life raft is only needed if you think you need one. The pros and cons are really based on one's personality. If you are uncertain about the seaworthiness of your boat in all imaginable conditions and fear death then, by all means, buy a liferaft. . . . .
In many cases, it is not a fear of death, but a preference for life, which is the motivation to be well-prepared for emergencies . . .

These things are not the same!
Old 27-06-2017, 01:21   #100

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
...I never wore a helmet when I rode my bicycle or motorcycle...
As an AFM competitor in my youth, I learned to greatly value my helmet, leathers, and articulated back protector. They are the reason I'm alive and walking today. Later, as an official for regional mountain bike races, I got to see many high-speed head plants that would have made great brain salad were it not for helmets.

Crashing sucks, but man, what a bummer when it happens. A liferaft is a piece of safety equipment akin to a life jacket, a harness or an EPIRB. Advocating not using said equipment casts doubt on concurrent protestations of preparedness in other areas IMHO. Keep one around and hope you'll never need to step up into it.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 02:26   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
A life raft is only needed if you think you need one. The pros and cons are really based on one's personality. If you are uncertain about the seaworthiness of your boat in all imaginable conditions and fear death then, by all means, buy a liferaft. However, it is not a guarantee of survival nor despite untold dollars spent on certifications a guarantee that it will function properly at the critical moment.
Agreed it may not work and could be damaged in the fire or collision that you need if for to escape in the first place, but it is an option. At £600 plus £200 every 3 years for servicing it's an option I want to have.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 07:01   #102

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
In many cases, it is not a fear of death, but a preference for life, which is the motivation to be well-prepared for emergencies . . .

These things are not the same!

Ah, Dockhead . . . spoken like a true attorney! Unless one seeks death for various reasons(health issues, depression, loss of a loved one, etc.) who doesn't prefer life to death? However, this has nothing to do with having a "preference for life" but rather how one deals with the real human emotion of fearing or not fearing one's death and ultimately how one chooses to live life. It is a completely different mindset. Good luck and safe sailing. P.S And for the record, counselor . . . I prefer life over death. Capt. Rognvald . . . immersed in the ontological mist.

Tags
liferaft