Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 22:07   #1

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Anything Better than Stugeron for Seasickness?

We discovered Stugeron (Google it) for mal de mer. It's an older antihistamine, is used by NASA among others, and has been around for years. It is not available in the US but is available over the counter in many other places (UK, Canada, BVI, Mexico, India). It's effective if taken orally before you go out or before you get sick. It has minimal side effects (as opposed to the patch). What's your experience been with it and what other effective ways do you deal with motion sickness?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
can make you a little sleepy , but its the best that Ive used, BTW I once inadvently use a scopolamine patch with stugeron ( cinnerazine) , Boy did it blow up my balance.

I dont suffer from seasickness after the first 24 hours but I always take one Stugeron before sailing and keep a packet handy.

Ginger helps a lot too.

As to other helps, the usual , no alcohol for 24 hours before first sail and east a light "safe " meal.

The other remedy is sleep,

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:10   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
This is gunna ssound horrible but unless you have chronic sea sickness I sugest no drug. Just learn to get over it. your body will, eventually.
I also think (yes I'm being serious) that alcohol h=can help. Its all an inner ear thing. Just let your body think you're drunk...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:17   #4

Don't fight the boat's motion.
Move with the boat, not against it.
I reckon this is the reason most people settle down after 24 hours at sea.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:45   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Just learn to get over it. your body will, eventually.
I also think (yes I'm being serious) that alcohol h=can help. Its all an inner ear thing. Just let your body think you're drunk...
for gods sake Mark thats nonsense, ever see anyone get really seasick, you "dont get over it", you can actually die ( from the side effects) as to alcohol, well I know Aussies use it for everthing but really

Quote:
Don't fight the boat's motion.
Move with the boat, not against it.
Sea sickness is a motion sickness ( ie the brain is confused) it has nothing to do with moving with or against the boat, some people get sick just lieing down, where they are not moving with or against the boat.

dave
Old 07-10-2010, 03:14   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Those suffering from seasickness who are unaccustomed to the motion of a ship often find relief by:
drinking any substance that is likely to temporarily diminish their senses of sight and touch
using THC (see Medical cannabis) or opiates, which act through neural suppression, thus diminishing all of the senses, and directly reducing the feeling of nausea (unfortunately, judgment may also be influenced).
Seasickness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, at least I'm not advocating Marijuana!

Also see in that Wiki article (with reference!): "Some people are particularly vulnerable to the condition with minor stimulus, while others are relatively immune, or become immune through exposure.[1]"

And I don't think anyone has died of it.... but I have felt like wanting to. Many have said that! But not since I have 'trained' my body and mind.

What works for some may not work for all

Mark
PS I agree with moving with the boat too

Old 07-10-2010, 03:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

As a sufferer for many years and someone who still gets queasy in certain conditions thats the biggest heap of crap going... but then I've found that non-suffers can often be unsympathetic ******** who wave bacon sarnies under your nose or other unhelpful stuff... they think its funny and clever...
Mainly its a case of grin and bear it or if its to bad ... stay on inland waters.... I've never been ill enough to be helpless/non functioning but have had someone on board who was.. they started throwing up one hour out when we got into some cross currents and heaved non-stop for the next 6hrs till we docked... took her a week to recover... poor girl said it felt like everything including her anus was trying to get out of her mouth...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:26   #8
Nearly an old salt

"The train your mind" is the samed as "getting use to it" and it works for thoese of us, incuding my self that find that after time we never get sick. However for some that never works and I have sailed long distances ( and hence long times) with people who needed constant medification. ( nothing wrong with that I mght add)

But its nonsense to say to these people , suck it up and train your brain ( as they projectile vomit at you). This applies especially to women who in general seem to be more susceptible to it.

Sorry Mark , mega BS

dave
Old 07-10-2010, 03:52   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Hey, you two, calm down. I didnt say everyone and the second post has references. So just cut your agro at me down, please

Take it up with the references.

And I am not unsympathetic to people.

Thank you

Old 07-10-2010, 04:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

LMAO....
Stop being so sensitive Mark....
You aint waved a bacon sarnie under my nose or done the phony 'Greasy Rag Projectile...' that ones a killer......
But there are those who do... or might... not having a go just putting the other side... maybe make someone think twice in the future....it seriously hurts... can eventually rupture your guts irreparably... luckily most most suffers find out close to land and get back fast.
In a liferaft where your drifting for days in conditions (and it doesn't take a storm for this) where even the toughest have succumbed... I think people could/do die.... Domino effect...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
So just cut your agro at me down, please
jeepers, theres the pot calling the kettle black. ( see somalia thread) you having a bad hair day.

dave
Old 07-10-2010, 07:06   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
Personally, my vulnerability to seasickness has definietely reduced over the years, and believe that I have a reasonable resistance now. I have taken the approach that it is possible to improve your resistance to getting sea sick, since being inspired by the autobiography of one of the world’s most famous stunt pilots, Bob Hoover. He stated in his book that he could only take flying lessons for 15 minutes at a time, because not only did he have very little money, but he would get seriously air sick each flight, however, he loved flying so much, that he eventually beat the airsickness by shear persistance and determination to fly. I know this won’t work for everybody (Some are more susceptible than others), and you need a lot of time on the water to build up any sort of resistance (so there’s definitely no point in telling your poor sea sick visitor who’s hanging over the side of the boat to just ‘harden up’, that won’t help at all), but using this approach over the long term has sure worked for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:27   #13

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
And I don't think anyone has died of it....
Actuallyseasickness can be much more serious than you think. For those of us who are effected, it can be debilitating. Here's a link from a passage last month where seasickness could have been fatal.
Voyage of Bravo: San Francisco update

This is why God made Stugeron.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've had good luck with Bonine, which has the same ingredient as Non-Drowsy Dramamine. A sea-going doctor recommended that I start taking Bonine a day or two before heading out to sea, and sometimes I remember. In moderate conditions I do just fine with no medication, but if the seas are up I will be sick for 24 hours without the meds.

I recently sailed with a friend who claims to be extremely prone to seasickness. He used Stugeron and said it worked well. Several crewmembers have used the scopalamine patch -- some think it's great, and others were still sick as dogs for three days.

I find it all pretty puzzling. I suspect that, at least in my case, the placebo effect is a big component. Regardless, if I've been off the water for a while and am heading into any kind of sea, I start taking the Bonine. After a few days at sea I stop the meds and am fine.

And yes, seasickness can kill you. Not directly, but through dehydration, torn esophagus, etc. I carry strong meds for the hard cases (suppositories, patches, etc), but so far the worst cases have recovered within three days without extreme measures. If it goes on much longer than that you need to be very concerned for their well-being.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06   #15

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
The worst I ever got was out of the Columbia bar..We were Salmon fishing and the wave height was 20+ ..we were in 70 foot boats and the boat 300 yards from us would disappear from sight...Beautiful bright sunny day too..

I has holding my own until several hours into the trip..I had already caught my 2 fish limit and went to use the head...As soon as I opened the head door the smell of puke that was awash on the floor, walls, seat, just about everywhere hit my nose ant that was all it took....I was in bad shape the rest of the day...lying down was the only relief.

I cant handle carnival rides any more either...I will get sick( just shy of throwing up) in one ride and it takes me 24 hours to get over it...I think Carnival rides would be a thing to keep up with as a possible "harding up" regime from sea sickness.

The second worse I ever got was spotting fish in a supper cub that had a gas leak causing very strong gas fumes to be breathed...I left my signature down the whole side of that plane several times that day.

About the only time here in Puget sound Im bothered is if i have to get upside down working in the bilge...for some reason that position gets me queasy pretty quick...Havent lost it yet here in the Sound yet but I know in the right conditions I could.

Personally there is not much worse feeling then being motion sick...All my sympathy goes out to those that find themselves there...I know I wished I were dead that fishing trip....and I can see where dehydration could become deadly from it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness, stugeron