Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 08:22   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Using routing software for long offshore passages

tommo, you're a lucky poster. There's years of experience in the posts above; its a good thread.

Sean, I did not realize OpenCPN weather_routing_pi would continue using the last grib data. Will have to try that.

Visual Passage Planner is also a good program, I have tried it several years ago.
Another one is qtVlm which has a "real" component and and "virtual" component. I tried it for the Virtual Volvo Race, to get more skilled... then started using Sean's weather_routing_pi after working on climatology_pi with him. These are "just" tools to help sharpen understanding, based upon collected and average data & predictions. How to use them effectively is described above by some more knowledgeable than me. All of the thoughts are good, but one that jumped out to me was s/v Totem encouraging use of good polar data. You could write a book about more instrument accuracy, connection, calibration, recording, how to record in good & bad conditions for good results, filtering, and the effect of variables like sea state, bottom condition, vessel loading, sails used, sail condition, etc. The available tools for developing polars are navmonpc (paul elliot), polauto (windows), opencpn polar_pi and vdr_p (recording of nmea only), and maxsea and other programs have builtin polar recording too. You can start with less accurate polars for your boat which have been developed from performance programs by the manufacturers (every boat is different even one design). I am at the point of working my into getting good polars. I have some experience with routing in the real world, but it does not match the experience of those above.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:32   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

https://www.windyty.com/?32.795,-116.963,2 - this is my latest new favorite.

First time that I react on cruisers forum, although I have read already so many posts, but this site is completely new and so interesting for me. I can understand it is your favorite. Thanks for sharing your research.
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 14:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

To add to this old thread, I just heard about Adrena, a weather routing and navigation software that the Vendee Globe sailors use.

Navigation software Adrena, editor navigation software for sailboat race - Weather Forecast Data Sources
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, passage, software