Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2022, 17:22   #16

Re: Tool available to reset AIS650 MMSI

Hi Jack,
Can you send me the software that will perform the reset on the AIS650? (I'm unable to PR you because I'm a new member on Cruiser Forum.) My email is my name (lower-case, all one word) and it's a hotmail account.

Just as a data point, I was able to get an MMSI reset code from Standard Horizon for my Matrix 2200 because my unit was a 2017 or later. They were very helpful at SH. When I realized that I was still transmitting the old MMSI, i realized I would also need to reset the Raymarine AIS650. Using the proAIS2, I can see, but not edit the MMSI number.

I appreciate your help getting this mystery solved!
Thanks,
lisa osse
Sundog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 04:07   #17

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum. I see you had success with SH and have a reset code for your set. I have a gx1260 and have been unable to get SH to give me options without sending it to California with no guarantee. Any chance you could send me the code? it may not work at resetting but I am willing to try anything. Thx in advance.
Old 15-04-2022, 06:35   #18

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Hello Sundog,

I was also looking for the software and was able to download it for free. Do a web search and you will find it easily.
Old 15-04-2022, 10:54   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Just interested.......

So if you buy a new AIS unit in the US does the seller set the MMSI before delivery to the customer?

Yes.

Just wondering what test must be passed to be "appropriately qualified".
The FCC issues licenses to folks who can pass a test. An FCC license is required to work on anything that transmits a radio signal above a certain (very low) power.
Old 15-04-2022, 19:31   #20

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M

Hi i have sent you a pm
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 19:52   #21

Hi sundog60 Personal Message sent
Old 16-04-2022, 08:25   #22

Regarding reprogramming the MMSI in my Standard Horizon VHF Matrix 2200, I contacted SH through their website: https://www.standardhorizon.com/?cmd...s&DivisionID=3

They replied quickly and told me that my radio needed to be 2107 or newer in order for them to let me enter the MMSI. I provided them with the serial number, current MMSI, and the request code, which I got off the radio. Within a few days, they sent me the reset passcode, specific for resetting my radio.

Regarding the tool to reset the MMSI on my Raymarine AIS 650, I didn't have a computer running an old version of Windows, so I ended up paying for a local Raymarine technician to update the MMSI. I appreciate all of your efforts Jack, but finding a technician became easier than finding an old version of windows!
Old 16-04-2022, 09:02   #23

Hi delcrest, I sent you an email
Old 16-04-2022, 13:44   #24

Hi sundog60
pm sent please
Old 16-04-2022, 14:48   #25

Sorry, I just realized I had a typo in my above message "...the radio needed to be 2017 or later."
Old 17-04-2022, 00:00   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have an Ais650 , the later versions of these cannot be reset by older versions ( ie the ones on the net ) of the reset software. I’ve not come across a newer version that will reset these
Old 17-06-2022, 03:10   #27

Hi Jack.
CAn I have the reseter too?
my email is my user name at gmail dot com
thank you
Yiannis
yiannisamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 03:25   #28

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
After fruitless communication with Raymarine support on how to reprogram the MMSI on my inherited AIS650, I "found" a solution.

Raymarine's answer was

"Unfortunately, and based on the information you provided, the best option is for you to send the unit back to Raymarine. Please book a repair service here: https://www.raymarine.com/service-and-support/warranty-repairs-returns/"

I reset the AIS650 to factory default. This allowed me to enter my MMSI number using proAIS2, which is readily available. (the MMSI was now not greyed out)

The resetter program requires a windows computer and the USB micro-B cable. Nothing special. If you can already communicate with your AIS650 via proAIS2 or a terminal emulator the resetter program should work for you.

If you want the resetter program, please PM me. Happy to help. Of course no charge or commercial interest, just want to help those who have an AIS650 with an incorrect MMSI number.

Now I see many posts and notices from Raymarine that it is illegal for the end user/owner to change the MMSI number, especially in the USA. I cannot find any such official law or regulation.

I did find that Raymarine's policy of not providing a way to reset the MMSI when selling MMSI equipment makes it difficult conform to https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

Using someone else's MMSI is illegal and unsafe.

See below. Anyway if you do change your MMSI its your responsibility.

"How to Update or Change an MMSI Registration
If your MMSI registration information or contact information changes for any reason, you must update your registration. If you sell your DSC-equipped radio or AIS or the boat these devices are mounted on, you must cancel your MMSI registration and should inform the new owner of the need to reregister the MMSI. This is necessary to ensure that the Coast Guard is able to contact the right persons if a distress situation were ever to occur. These registration changes can be accomplished by contacting the organization or agency which originally registered your MMSI. If you do not know which organization registered your MMSI, you can identify that organization by comparing your existing MMSI against those listed in the document MMSI ship station blocks allocated in the US (updated 16 August 2021).
"

I get frequent requests for the resetter tool and am happy to help.

Please note:

1. The tool plus documentation are in a Google driver folder. Send me a gmail email address so that I can simply share the folder with you.
If someone has an easy way to make the tool available to all, please go ahead. It will save my time and you will be helping the community.

2. The tool is an .exe file will not run on modern Windows OSs. If you try you will bet a missing msi message. It was developed before .net became prevalent. I am pleased to say that I have not used Windows since XP. I use Linux or Mac so I cannot help with msi issues.
Maybe someone with windows XP can run the resetter with a sniffer and publicize the commands that are being sent to the AIS. Then the AIS can be reset form any OS.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 10:59   #29

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440

Jack C -
Sent you a PM with my email address requesting the resetter tool, along with an idea for making the tool available to all via Dropbox.
- Matthew C.
Chachere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 13:42   #30

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
The tool is an .exe file will not run on modern Windows OSs. If you try you will bet a missing msi message. It was developed before .net became prevalent. I am pleased to say that I have not used Windows since XP. I use Linux or Mac so I cannot help with msi issues.

I'm a little confused. Did you mean to say it can be run on a Mac OS, or that it has to be run on Windows XP (or earlier) or Linux?
Chachere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais