Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 17:33   #16

Boat: Beneteau 40.7
Re: Stop button on mechanical watch

The watch you seek is a split action chronometer. They were made by Heuer among others. It has two second hands. They run together until a side button is pushed. Second hand 1 continues to run while hand 2 stops at the hack time. When the side button is pushed hand 2 catches up with hand 1. They can be carefully adjusted and they have a good drift stability (error /day). They are readily available on line for a few hundred dollars. If the rules allow they should be synced with astronomical events every day is possible.
Good luck.
Attached Images

thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 18:38   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Since ssb is allowed, the chronometer does not have to be that bloody accurate. Except ... that ssb must be VERY reliable.

And preferably waterproof too.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 19:17   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

When engaged in a non-stop circumnavigation by the capes, really accurate navigation is not often required. If available, it allows closer margins, but folks managed great voyages with little knowledge of longitude, and latitude is available sans accurate time.

I suppose there is some romantic appeal to this race,but the arbitrary rules kinda put me off and all the bail-out gizmos take some of the romance away. I'll be interested to see how it plays out...

Jim
Old 01-11-2017, 00:11   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
The watch you seek is a split action chronometer. They were made by Heuer among others. It has two second hands. They run together until a side button is pushed. Second hand 1 continues to run while hand 2 stops at the hack time. When the side button is pushed hand 2 catches up with hand 1. They can be carefully adjusted and they have a good drift stability (error /day). They are readily available on line for a few hundred dollars. If the rules allow they should be synced with astronomical events every day is possible.
Good luck.
I have googled it but without much luck...
Are you sure it is a chronometer not a mere chronograph?

Anyway here is a quote from Joshua Slocum's book:

The want of a chronometer for the voyage was all that now worried me. In our newfangled notions of navigation it is supposed that a mariner cannot find his way
without one; and I had myself drifted into this way of thinking. My old chronometer, a good one, had been long in disuse. It would cost fifteen dollars to clean and rate it.
Fifteen dollars! For sufficient reasons I left that timepiece at home....
At Yarmouth, too, I got my famous tin clock, the only timepiece I carried on the whole voyage. The price of it was a dollar and a half, but on account of the face being smashed the merchant let me have it for a dollar.

Tags
mechanic