Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 17:49   #1

Boat: beneteau OC 352
HOW DOES YANMAR INST PANEL STOP BUTTON WORK?

Hello all,
Have 2004 Jeanneau Sun Oddessy Deck Salon w/ yanmar 4JH3-TE with a instrument panel "B".. full disclosure, the boat was completely submerged. I spent a lot of time on the motor and bought a new instrument panel. ready to bench test, so i hooked a battery + strait to the starter and - strait to the ground screw on the motor, turned the key of the new instr panel and vroom, started right up...yeah!! feeling like a million bucks.. let it run for several minutes and decided its time to shut it down, I press the stop button on the panel ...and ...nothing..no stopping...the key is in the off position and pressing the stop button ...and ....nothing...still running..all i could think to do was disconnect the fuel line and run it out..

So.. what am i missing here? what is not hooked up right or broke that the RED stop button didnt work? soleniod? relays? if so, where do I look?

thanks
jason
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 18:02   #2

Boat: Sailboat
Re: HOW DOES YANMAR INST PANEL STOP BUTTON WORK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot smart View Post
Hello all,
Have 2004 Jeanneau Sun Oddessy Deck Salon w/ yanmar 4JH3-TE with a instrument panel "B".. full disclosure, the boat was completely submerged. I spent a lot of time on the motor and bought a new instrument panel. ready to bench test, so i hooked a battery + strait to the starter and - strait to the ground screw on the motor, turned the key of the new instr panel and vroom, started right up...yeah!! feeling like a million bucks.. let it run for several minutes and decided its time to shut it down, I press the stop button on the panel ...and ...nothing..no stopping...the key is in the off position and pressing the stop button ...and ....nothing...still running..all i could think to do was disconnect the fuel line and run it out..

So.. what am i missing here? what is not hooked up right or broke that the RED stop button didnt work? soleniod? relays? if so, where do I look?

thanks
jason
The yanmar has a electric stop solenoid, you can also manually push the linkage to stop the engine with a push of a finger, find it! Either the stop solenoid is bad or the wiring to it.
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 18:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
The yanmar has a electric stop solenoid, you can also manually push the linkage to stop the engine with a push of a finger, find it! Either the stop solenoid is bad or the wiring to it.
a stop solenoid? thats it ..thanks.. is it usually on the motor or in the engine compartment or boat somewhere?? or is it a different location on different boats?

thanks
j
Old 08-05-2017, 18:25   #4

Try pressing the stop button before you turn the key off....

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 18:56   #5

i found it..

thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The key has to be on for the stop solenoid to work.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:55   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Hello all,

thanks
jason
My marinized Kabota is the same. Stop button only works when the key is on. When the key is off no power to operate the solenoid.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:19   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

There are two windings on the solenoid relay. One is to initially operate the solenoid--the other is to hold it in the operating position. Do not get them wired incorrectly--the connections should be of different sizes. The operating solenoid winding draws only a small current--the initializing one draws much more and will burn out after a few minutes if wired the wrong way around and then you will be unable to start the motor again.

Pretty much all of the modern engines use this system. I still like the old pull-to-stop best--but so far mine has been entirely reliable. If your engine starts and runs, there is nothing wrong with the relay. If the stop button is pushed WITH THE KEY ON and the engine will not stop--the stop button wiring is disconnected or broken.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:41   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Hello all,

thanks
jason
As others have now written: the key is the key!

My son some time ago was using our Jeanneau 49DS. He turned the key to OFF and could not stop the engine. He still feels a complete idiot after it was pointed out to him that it was stop button first, then key to OFF.

Actually I have some sympathy. If one starts the Yanmar by turning the key logic dictates that the reverse should apply. What would interest me is were someone to explain why it is necessary to have the stop button at all. Or, if a button is required, why it does not work like the one on my car. Push to start. Push again to stop the engine.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:43   #10

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

When you turn on the key, you do several things. You put a small voltage across the alternator so that it will charge when the engine starts. Once the engine is running it will generate enough current to continue from the alternator output--and when you turn the key to the start position you also bring in the initiator windings on the pump relay. Once the engine starts, and the key returns to the "Run" position, the initiator windings are disconnected but the hold-in wirings remain active and keep the pump engaged. The alternator puts out enough to keep the holding wirings activated, because the initiation windings on the relay drop out when the key returns to the "Run" position, which it does because it is spring loaded.

Turning off the key when the engine is running will not stop the engine, and pushing the stop button will not stop it if the key is turned OFF, because that cuts the power to the "Stop" relay.

The reason this is so is because a running engine delivers its own power via the alternator.

Turn the key ON and push the stop button. This will disconnect via a relay the hold-in relay windings of the pump, which will then drop out and stop the engine immediately. This will sound alarms via the one signal. All of them relate to oil pressure, generator charge, etc. They all stop screaming when you turn off the key.

Simple enough--but Yanmar should put a small notice to that effect on a sticker.

Another trap for young players are hydraulic autopilots which shut off the fluid to the helm pump rendering it impossible to override unless you remember to shut off the autopilot first--but that is another story--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 14:05   #11

Boat: Cape Horn 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
When you turn on the key, you do several things. You put a small voltage across the alternator so that it will charge when the engine starts. Once the engine is running it will generate enough current to continue from the alternator output--and when you turn the key to the start position you also bring in the initiator windings on the pump relay. Once the engine starts, and the key returns to the "Run" position, the initiator windings are disconnected but the hold-in wirings remain active and keep the pump engaged. The alternator puts out enough to keep the holding wirings activated, because the initiation windings on the relay drop out when the key returns to the "Run" position, which it does because it is spring loaded.

Turning off the key when the engine is running will not stop the engine, and pushing the stop button will not stop it if the key is turned OFF, because that cuts the power to the "Stop" relay.

The reason this is so is because a running engine delivers its own power via the alternator.

Turn the key ON and push the stop button. This will disconnect via a relay the hold-in relay windings of the pump, which will then drop out and stop the engine immediately. This will sound alarms via the one signal. All of them relate to oil pressure, generator charge, etc. They all stop screaming when you turn off the key.

Simple enough--but Yanmar should put a small notice to that effect on a sticker.

Another trap for young players are hydraulic autopilots which shut off the fluid to the helm pump rendering it impossible to override unless you remember to shut off the autopilot first--but that is another story--
wooow that was helpful
Pedro -Dawn- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 14:43   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I realise this is an old thread but for anyone who comes across it, please be aware that the information posted by Mike Banks upthread is not entirely correct in relation to the OP's engine (Yanmar 4JH3-TE).

The Yanmar stop solenoid has only one winding, not two as Mike described. Some engines do use a dual coil solenoid but not this engine.

Also the statements - 'and when you turn the key to the start position you also bring in the initiator windings on the pump relay. Once the engine starts, and the key returns to the "Run" position, the initiator windings are disconnected but the hold-in wirings remain active and keep the pump engaged. The alternator puts out enough to keep the holding wirings activated, because the initiation windings on the relay drop out when the key returns to the "Run" position, which it does because it is spring loaded.' do not apply to a Yanmar 4JH3-TE or similar Yanmar engines.

They may apply to other engines though.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 14:53   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

The stop button is wired to the "run" post on the key switch. Turning the key off cuts power to everything so the solenoid won't work. If it was wired to the "battery" post, it would work whether the key was on or off. I don't know why they don't do that, there must be a reason. The stop buttons in my trawler work key on or off so that must be how they're wired.
Yea, just noticed the thread is five years old. Oh well...
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 02:09   #14

I have a Yanmar 2GM20F (V) on a 2005 Hunter 27. Its stop solenoid operates the original stop cable of the 2GM series. I am unable to source a replacement from Yanmar, as I guess it wasn't a Yanmar branded component. Does anyone know an after-market equivalent?
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 07:01   #15

Boat: Norseman 447

I just bought a new Yanmar shutoff solenoid for my 4JH2-TE. I don’t know if it’s the same solenoid as your motor, but it came with a label from "Woodward" solenoids, which has a very nice web site and seems to make all kinds of solenoids. Mine is labeled:
Model. 1504
P/N. SA-3527-T
S/N 7983740-091 VDC 12

Good luck.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar