Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 11:11   #886
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

All it takes is money.

No doubt lots of expensive toys could aid in this search, but where do you stop.

One other question, I keep seeing recent stories referring to the owner as a "professional captain" is this because he has the worthless piece of paper from the USCG or because he made his living as a professional mariner?
Old 21-08-2013, 12:41   #887

I agree with what you say, when do you say the sea has won.

David, though having that useless piece of USCG license was the youngest tug boat capt rated in Ohio, he 's a capt on a 250ft Anchor Boat with Choust out of Brasil, been a Capt since he was 16 yrs. Think it wouldn't be too much on a limb to call him a Professional Captain!

Cherie
Old 21-08-2013, 14:17   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

yes and if it was a boat full of illegal immigrants, nobody would be looking, Your point being....

SAR is expensive and by definition limited, SAR is not there to search endlessly and unlimited costs , Im afraid. I dont beleive this is new to anyone.
Dave
Actually the Aussies are looking for illegals all the time by sea and air if you read the news. They have a big problem in that regard.
For sure both the NZ and the Aussies have the assets to look for any boat in the Taz sea. Somebody just has to persuade them to use them. Easier said than done.
Has the sea taken them, I think so, but I've been wrong before.
Old 21-08-2013, 20:31   #889

Boat: Lyle Hess 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Actually the Aussies are looking for illegals all the time by sea and air if you read the news. They have a big problem in that regard.
[snip]
Whilst OT, I hope that the mods will let me correct an error in your post.

Australia is facing a challenge with asylum seekers arriving by sea. As a signatory to the Refugee Convention Australia has obligations to asylum seekers however they arrive. Around 97% of arrivals to the Australian jurisdiction by sea are assessed as being entitled to refugee status.

Asylum seekers are NOT illegal arrivals.
Old 21-08-2013, 20:44   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelorus32 View Post

Whilst OT, I hope that the mods will let me correct an error in your post.

Australia is facing a challenge with asylum seekers arriving by sea. As a signatory to the Refugee Convention Australia has obligations to asylum seekers however they arrive. Around 97% of arrivals to the Australian jurisdiction by sea are assessed as being entitled to refugee status.

Asylum seekers are NOT illegal arrivals.
Call them what you like, but it doesn't alter the fact that Australia has assets looking at the sea surface to the north, I can't imagine that it would be all that hard to switch the search area for a while. The same is true for the USA, a small change in a spy satellite might just (have) produced a result in the case of Nina and the souls onboard. Or indeed a U2 flight or whatever.
Old 21-08-2013, 21:07   #891

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

The OZ Navy is searching for Illegal Aliens, Asylum Seekers, Call them what ever,

In the waters 80 Klms off the Indonesian Coast line between, Indonesia and Christmas Island,
Christmas Island is about 1000 Klms to the North West of Australia,

Christmas Island to NZ in a straight line is about 7000 Klms, Give or take a thousand,

But Australia just happens to be sitting and diagonally opposed, is sitting bang in the middle,

The navy would have to sail around it, Cupla weeks to get there, to NZ waters,

NZ has a Navy, Where are they stationed, North or South Island,

Surely they would be cruising in that area, as it is Home Base to them,
Old 22-08-2013, 00:28   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
yes and if it was a boat full of illegal immigrants, nobody would be looking, Your point being....

SAR is expensive and by definition limited, SAR is not there to search endlessly and unlimited costs , Im afraid. I dont beleive this is new to anyone.
Dave
exactly my point,illegals/ordinary peeps, SAR will always have a cut off point as they look at it in cost v outcome way,
the reason I mentioned Obama is purely to re-inforce my view that if it was someone 'high up' the us gov would pull out all the stops,
however, there is no need for us to bicker on this
Old 22-08-2013, 03:00   #893
Marine Service Provider

Items recovered in missing yacht search

9:30 PM Thursday Aug 22, 2013

Expand
The crew of the schooner Nina were last heard from on July 4.

Searchers are unsure of the source of two plastic containers, found today in the hunt for the missing yacht Nina.
A Kiwi Air plane based on Norfolk Island spent all of today searching an area to the west of the island.
"Two 20-litre plastic containers have been located in the search area but its not confirmed that they are from the Nina,'' search spokesman John Funnell said.
"They could be from the Nina or they could just as easily be from something else.''
Hope for the missing 85-year-old vessel, whose crew were last heard from on June 4, was renewed when recent satellite images captured an orange object, possibly a liferaft, similar to the one the Nina carried.
The new search started on Monday.
Family and friends of the seven missing crew members have been fundraising to keep the search alive after the official operation ended on July 4.
It was hoped more funding will come through tomorrow.

Mr Funnell said it would be confirmed in the morning whether the extra funding had come through, meaning further searching could go ahead.
"It costs about $20,000 a day,'' he said.
Nina left the Bay of Islands on May 29 and was headed for Newcastle, Australia. It is owned by professional captain David Dyche III, 58, and his wife, Rosemary, 60. They were on board with son David Dyche jnr, 17, and fellow Americans Evi Nemeth, 73, Kyle Jackson, 27, and 18-year-old Danielle Wright. Also on board was Briton Matthew Wootton, 35.

NZ HERALD
Old 22-08-2013, 06:48   #894

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelorus32 View Post
(...) Asylum seekers are NOT illegal arrivals.
Drift.

b.
Old 22-08-2013, 16:33   #895
Marine Service Provider

Family convinced Nina crew is alive

9:15 AM Friday Aug 23, 2013

The missing American schooner Nina.

New Zealand could be under political pressure from the US to resume the search for the missing schooner Nina.
The 21-metre yacht left the Bay of Islands on May 29 and was heading for Newcastle, Australia - but the seven-strong crew haven't been seen or heard from since June 4.
Families of the missing crew have held a news conference in Texas, telling media they believe their relatives are still alive after a red dot was spotted on a map thousands of miles from the search area.
They're trying to raise more money to continue a private search after rescue operations here ceased three weeks ago.
Texas congressman Charles Boustany is weighing in, saying: "We're going to stay on top of this.
"The US Government is working in tandem with the New Zealand Government and if we feel they're not following through where there should be follow through then of course we'll apply more pressure."
But Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand spokeswoman Sophie Hazelhurst says that isn't justification to start searching again.
"We've always said if we receive any information that justifies resuming the search in any way then we would, but to date that has not happened unfortunately."

Ms Hazelhurst says they need some firm evidence to resume searching for the Nina.
"In the past we've had searches where after several days someone has had a firm sighting of what they believe is the vessel and we have resumed the search at that stage."
Ricky Wright's 18-year-old daughter Danielle is one of the crew and he's convinced she's alive.
"They'll have some devices to catch rainwater and fishing string and hooks and different things like that for survival."
Danielle's mother Robin is convinced she has survived.
"I'm sure they're feeling pretty hopeless out there.
"They don't see any planes, they don't know if we're looking for them or not so hang in there."
Mrs Wright says every day she has to think about her daughter eating raw fish and trying to keep warm.
The group has enlisted the help of John Glennie who, along with his crew, survived for 119 days after the Rose Noelle came to grief in 1989.
He believes the area the Nina is lost in is very survivable.
- Newstalk ZB

NZ HERALD TODAY
Old 22-08-2013, 17:34   #896

Boat: a sailing boat

Does this imply NZ SAR do not recognise tomnod's find?

b.
Old 23-08-2013, 04:14   #897

Boat: Lagoon 42
I still hold out faint hope for the souls aboard Nina. What a great story if some, or all, could be found safe. The reality is that such an outcome is very, very unlikely. All those who take to the high seas in small boats assume the risk and understand the limited ability and resources that exist for possible rescue should things go bad. Even the very young and inexperienced have constructively assumed the risk as have their family and friends. Each time I have undertaken an offshore passage I have had a brief but succinct discussion with family and friends about the low prospects for rescue should something go wrong. I tell them that there may be a search, but even if there is it would likely be abbreviated and ultimately unsuccessful. My 26 year old daughter thinks it morbid, my wife who has sailed offshore understands, and my parents ask if I've talked to a mental health professional lately. Nonetheless, it is made clear I have assumed the risk and by extension so have they; although, it has perhaps been forced upon them.

Although the recent sightings are a positive development, an orange/red dot in a satellite image and unidentified floating debris is not sufficient evidence to justify the U.S. or the families and friends of Nina expecting NZ SAR undertaking additional, extensive SAR missions. If the authorities in NZ decide to undertake additional SAR, that would be great. The idea that the U.S. "pressure" NZ is offensive to me. NZ's SAR community has been second guessed by many, yet it seems to me they have done and are continuing to do their duty. The U.S. has a duty to help insure the safety of its citizens, even in the Tasman Sea, however that duty and the duty of the SAR community is proportional to the risk assumed. The risk assumed by offshore passage makers is significant.

I have though about and prayed for the Nina everyday since I learned she was missing. I still hold out hope and think there could be a miracle, but if there is it will be of the crew's own making with help from above and not in the form of airplanes or helicopters.
Old 23-08-2013, 04:19   #898
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Wow, what a great post Jim!
I think you have very well expressed what most of us feel.
Old 23-08-2013, 06:03   #899
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post

Although the recent sightings are a positive development, an orange/red dot in a satellite image
What puzzles me is that no reports on the exact position and date of this "possible"......I can understand that perhaps not enuf to launch an SAR, but would seem sensible to let folks who may be travelling in the area know so can keep an eye out.
Old 23-08-2013, 06:40   #900

Boat: Leopard 40
Yes it is difficult to want to assist without any updates as to what is being done with what they have found so far. Communication is key otherwise doubt, suspicion and apathy move in.
Closed Thread