Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 04:36   #16

Re: Route from Norway to the Caribbean in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

i have delivered a 43 ft oceanis 2000miles before,and they sail well,though i would be wary about heading into the north atlantic with the prospect of 3-4 weeks of pounding to windward in one!

as an experinced sailor,with a proven vessel i would expect to be starting preparations for the voyage now for a departure in may!

since you don't have a vessel yet,the only advice i can give you is buy something you can afford,and expect at least 1-2 months of preperation,there is no such thing as a new to you boat that is "ready to go!"

take baby steps,familiarise yourself with the vessel on your trip south to the canary islands,repair and upgrade as you go with access to good marine supply outlets in europe.
atolle - sounds like sound advice. It is looking more and more like that is what I will do. By the way, any plans for end May and the summer?
cptnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:37   #17

Boat: Privilege 37

The trade wind routes were created by early sailors because it is faster to sail with the wind than against it, and it is much less damaging to vesel or crew, I would recommend studying the North Atlantic Pilot Charts for wind and currents per month. This can be downloaded month by month from Index of /MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/APC/Pub106

The wind information is an average over a number of years so is a guide only. - There is a newer publication by Jimmy Cornell based on satellite observations

Jimmy Cornell’s Oceans Atlas: New Pilot Charts for All Oceans of the World | Cornell Sailing Publications and Events

You will also find his excellent world cruising routes, and world voyage planner.

Study these three publications as they will help a lot in your preparations

Bill and Laurel Cooper's book "Sell up and Sail" is another good background book for your preparations http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sell-Up-Sail.../dp/0713674032
Old 04-04-2014, 04:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
The trade wind routes were created by early sailors because it is faster to sail with the wind than against it, and it is much less damaging to vesel or crew, I would recommend studying the North Atlantic Pilot Charts for wind and currents per month. This can be downloaded month by month from Index of /MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/APC/Pub106

The wind information is an average over a number of years so is a guide only. - There is a newer publication by Jimmy Cornell based on satellite observations

Jimmy Cornell’s Oceans Atlas: New Pilot Charts for All Oceans of the World | Cornell Sailing Publications and Events

You will also find his excellent world cruising routes, and world voyage planner.

Study these three publications as they will help a lot in your preparations

Bill and Laurel Cooper's book "Sell up and Sail" is another good background book for your preparations http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sell-Up-Sail.../dp/0713674032
Talbot - thank you for your excellent recomandations - very helpful! I look forward check pubications out.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnorth View Post
atolle - sounds like sound advice. It is looking more and more like that is what I will do. By the way, any plans for end May and the summer?

sent you a PM re the summer.

also try here for pilot charts,cornells route planner is also a good book to have in the ships library for future reference.

Atlas of Pilot Charts for the Major Oceans of the World
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
sent you a PM re the summer.

also try here for pilot charts,cornells route planner is also a good book to have in the ships library for future reference.

Atlas of Pilot Charts for the Major Oceans of the World
Thanks - will do!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30   #21

I had a hunch based on your questions, all good by the way, just a word of caution, I think you are getting great advice from the forum, there really isn't any substitute for real open water experience. I would do as atoll suggested and that is baby steps to start because their is no guarantee hiring a captain and crew will solve all the problems, I may even suggest having the family fly over and meet you. All the best with your adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnorth View Post
Hi marlinmke,

I have not sailed much on my own and I am very unexperienced. I have ad going on "crew wanted" where I am looking for captain and crew, and I am hoping to learn.

I am curious - why do you ask?

Best,

cptNorth
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, Norway, rib, route