Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 07:54   #1

Route from Norway to the Caribbean in May

I am setting sail for the Caribbean in May, and I am unsure of the route I should take.

I have been thinking that the northern route sailing across and south touching on Bermuda would be good, or south and towards the Azores and then Bermuda and then on to the Lesser Atilles and heading further south.

I am now thinking of an alternate route due to the warnings of bad weather due to huricane season.

Heading south from Norway, going all the way to Cape Verde, then across to Trinidad from there; do I avoid the worst of the bad weather since it is below the hurricane belt?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
cptnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:01   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Route from Norway to the Caribbean in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnorth View Post

Heading south from Norway, going all the way to Cape Verde, then across to Trinidad from there; do I avoid the worst of the bad weather since it is below the hurricane belt?

Hurricane season starts in the beginning of June.

The safe trip is to Canary Islands by September, the leave for the Caribbean second half of November.

Though I am sure folks will say theres no hurricanes early in the season and you are fine to sail direct to th e Caribbean.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hurricane season starts in the beginning of June.

The safe trip is to Canary Islands by September, the leave for the Caribbean second half of November.

Though I am sure folks will say theres no hurricanes early in the season and you are fine to sail direct to th e Caribbean.
Thank you for your reply. I am in a bit of a hurry to get over there. But I dont what to put my family or crew in any danger.

We dont mind bad weather, at the same time we dont want to risk or lives. I am aware of the timings of the hurricane season, but also that my departure is quite early, and that we might avoid the worst.
I have also heard that the worst of it starts in September. With that in mind. Would the southern route be better? Or should I just wait it out Canary’s or Cape Verde?
Or; should I just put it out of my head and file it under not possible and not safe...?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:53   #4

Just out of curiosity, what is the farthest you have you sailed to date?
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I am in a bit of a hurry to get over there. But I dont what to put my family or crew in any danger.

We dont mind bad weather, at the same time we dont want to risk or lives. I am aware of the timings of the hurricane season, but also that my departure is quite early, and that we might avoid the worst.
I have also heard that the worst of it starts in September. With that in mind. Would the southern route be better? Or should I just wait it out Canary’s or Cape Verde?
Or; should I just put it out of my head and file it under not possible and not safe...?

Thanks.
safest route would be to head south to gambia,west africa,then cross to forteleza, brazil,then to tobago and trinidad.

any hurricanes generally form a few hundred miles west of the cape verdes,and north of the lattitude of trinidad.

the only down side is it will be very hot once south of the canary islands.

northen route is prone to head winds,and tropical depressions,though with good weather info a late crossing from the azores is possible.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:59   #6

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

How long do you expect the trip to take?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
depending on which way you go 2-3 months,obviously via the azores to antigua is quicker,could be done in about 5 weeks in a reasonably fast boat.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the farthest you have you sailed to date?
Hi marlinmke,

I have not sailed much on my own and I am very unexperienced. I have ad going on "crew wanted" where I am looking for captain and crew, and I am hoping to learn.

I am curious - why do you ask?

Best,

cptNorth
Old 04-04-2014, 03:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
safest route would be to head south to gambia,west africa,then cross to forteleza, brazil,then to tobago and trinidad.

any hurricanes generally form a few hundred miles west of the cape verdes,and north of the lattitude of trinidad.

the only down side is it will be very hot once south of the canary islands.

northen route is prone to head winds,and tropical depressions,though with good weather info a late crossing from the azores is possible.
atoll - thank you very much for the helpful information! I will discuss it with the guy who might be captaining for me and see what he says. He was a bit unsure, and was definitely not wanting to take the northern route this time of the year.

I have actually spent some time in Fortaleza and sailed as crew on day sails there, so I know that area a bit.

There is obviously also an option to just wait it out in the south until October and do the crossing then, but I was hoping to do it earlier. In any case if it all seems to be a very bad idea, then waiting is what we'll do.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:22   #10

Quote:
depending on which way you go 2-3 months,obviously via the azores to antigua is quicker,could be done in about 5 weeks in a reasonably fast boat.
atoll - that is similar estimates to what I have read before. I have always added on time though. Keep thinking of stories I have heard of people going through crossings that last for months, in 3 knots bad weather, head winds etc.

How long do you think I would use in sailing in one line, from Norway to the Azores, or Norway to the Canary’s?

I have seen estimates of 25 days to Azores, from west coast of Norway, Not to bad I think.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:35   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
atoll - thank you very much for the helpful information! I will discuss it with the guy who might be captaining for me and see what he says. He was a bit unsure, and was definitely not wanting to take the northern route this time of the year.

I have actually spent some time in Fortaleza and sailed as crew on day sails there, so I know that area a bit.

There is obviously also an option to just wait it out in the south until October and do the crossing then, but I was hoping to do it earlier. In any case if it all seems to be a very bad idea, then waiting is what we'll do.
if as you say,you have only just bought the boat and have very little experince,i would reccomend taking the traditional route.

leaving norway in may-june,crossing to the east coast of the uk,hopping along the south coast as far as falmouth,then across the biscay to northen spain,and along the portugese coast.

spend some time in the algarve,morocco and the canary islands,head down to the cape verdes,then gambia,then leave for brazil at the end of november.

time will pass very fast and you will have had time to visit the less visited destinations at your own pace,at the best time of year in the best weather.

though it would be possible to go more or less direct to the azores in may,then head south till the trades are found,and arrive in antigua roughly 6 weeks later.

this puts you in the carribean during the hottest,raineyest time of year,where most yachts dont stray far from a hurricane hole till december.

thats what i would do,the carribean is overrated!,and after all you want to go cruising and get away from the winter in norway,once past the biscay you are into "endless summer!"
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
atoll - that is similar estimates to what I have read before. I have always added on time though. Keep thinking of stories I have heard of people going through crossings that last for months, in 3 knots bad weather, head winds etc.

How long do you think I would use in sailing in one line, from Norway to the Azores, or Norway to the Canary’s?

I have seen estimates of 25 days to Azores, from west coast of Norway, Not to bad I think.
that is what you need to find out,by taking a shakedown cruise along the west coast of europe first!

also knowing wheter you are sailing a 65ft Swan or 30ft Catalac would help me advise!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Greenhand - I dont know yet. It depends what route we take. I am planning to put in plenty of sea time, to not press the boat and crew too much. I was not planning to spend much time in port in Europe, but rather do the fun island-hopping and relaxing bit once we get over.

Right now, I am listening to all the good advice and helpful people on this site. Ultimately, it will be the person that captain my boat to decide where it will be best to cross and when. In the meantime I am trying to read up and get as much info as possible.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51   #14

Quote:
that is what you need to find out,by taking a shakedown cruise along the west coast of europe first!

also knowing wheter you are sailing a 65ft Swan or 30ft Catalac would help me advise!
atoll - thanks for all the info!

I am looking to buy an almost ready rigged Beneteau Oceanis 46.1. The boat have done the crossing before and has a lot of equipment.

Anything you can tell me about the boat?

Also, I am not to eager to cross over from the Azores at this point. Rather stay bellow the hurricanes.

I have sailed the area for quite a few years as a purser, doing clearance in most of these Caribbean ports, so I feel I know the area well. Overrated? Quite possibly !
!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
atoll - thanks for all the info!

I am looking to buy an almost ready rigged Beneteau Oceanis 46.1. The boat have done the crossing before and has a lot of equipment.

Anything you can tell me about the boat?

Also, I am not to eager to cross over from the Azores at this point. Rather stay bellow the hurricanes.

I have sailed the area for quite a few years as a purser, doing clearance in most of these Caribbean ports, so I feel I know the area well. Overrated? Quite possibly !
!

i have delivered a 43 ft oceanis 2000miles before,and they sail well,though i would be wary about heading into the north atlantic with the prospect of 3-4 weeks of pounding to windward in one!

as an experinced sailor,with a proven vessel i would expect to be starting preparations for the voyage now for a departure in may!

since you don't have a vessel yet,the only advice i can give you is buy something you can afford,and expect at least 1-2 months of preperation,there is no such thing as a new to you boat that is "ready to go!"

take baby steps,familiarise yourself with the vessel on your trip south to the canary islands,repair and upgrade as you go with access to good marine supply outlets in europe.

Tags
Caribbean, Norway, rib, route