Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 13:46   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Panama Canal Agent Recommendation Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hi Jeff,

First off, an agent absolutely can get you through faster, If you're willing to pay for it.

Here's the deal. There are a set number of advisers. The boats queue up, and wait their turn. During the most busy time, when yachts are heading to the S. Pacific, waits can indeed be weeks.

The last time we went through from E-W was in late March, several years ago. Boats were waiting about 4 weeks for their transit.

I hired Tina Mc Bride about a month ahead of time.

We arrived at the flats anchorage at 0400, were measured at 0800, and transited THAT NIGHT. There were a heck of a lot of cruisers wondering what the hell was happening, I can tell you that!

This cost us about $3000 for a 43 footer.

.....TJ
I still stand by my statement that you do not get an earlier transit as a handline when you use an agent and at times it can be later.
Buying a Pilot for a transit instead of using an Advisor and paying for a specific date (which could be done with or without an agent) for much more than most cruisers would sign up for is a way to get an assigned transit. If I remember correctly you can actually get one up to a year in advance.
Old 22-01-2018, 13:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I spent about 4weeks in Shelter Bay.. the problem then was a shortage of commercial pilots available for the trip.. we are a side line for them.. a way to make extra money in quiet times.. several boats were set up to go during that time only to be put back on the day of transit because a pilot was suddenly not available.
Just time your arrival so any possible delay does not affect plans Pacific side.. a few boats killed their waiting time by heading down to the San Blas to cruise around till the call from the agent..
Once through you can always kill time on the hook Panama City side doing your stores etc.. the shopping is much better than Colon.
We were a 54ftr and it was costing $700+/week in Shelter Bay.
Handline transits do not use Pilots. They use Advisors who have various jobs in the Canal and have done training to be an Advisor. They do the Advisor job on their days off to earn extra money and often because they enjoy working with the cruisers.
Before Xmas there can be a lot of Advisors looking to earn some extra cash for the holidays. Afterward it can get tighter while the demand goes up.
Old 22-01-2018, 13:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWISPEL View Post
If we all start to pay the corrupt or exuberant high fees, than is it over a few years not more pleasant for the cruisers after you and will there not more any sympathy by local people!

We past the channel in 7 day's and did all the paperwork’s our self. There was really no problem to do it this way. We did in the meantime chopping in collon (and the bring it all to the boat if you buy a lot), beautiful hikes, ... .

There was no any corruption in Portobello, the only place where we problems had was by the Customs in Panama city to clear out. The Immigration there was no problem and straight forward! We end up with a discussion and had not to pay on the end, but the most people will maybe pay the rip off.

Chelterbay was one of the places on earth what I not will recommend to stay, go to the beautiful Portobello or stay on anchor on the other side in Panama city. You can also cruise in the San Blass wile you are waiting.

There are nice public busses between Portobello, Panama City, Colon and the airport. Public transport is always a good way to see something from the local culture. (travel with a crappy plastic bac, old flip-flops and no visual symbols like watches, …)

Contacts with real local people how you met are always the best memories, be aware from people how approach you! For me is travling in 3 class nicer than first class!
Not sure what corrupt fees you are referring to. All the transit fees are clearly on the Canal website. A lot of times people lump Panama customs, immigration and port captain in with the Canal Authority. They are completely separate. The Canal is run professionally and all your contacts will speak good English. I can't say that about customs, immigration, port captains, Kuna authority, etc.

I really agree with you on contacts with locals. I often find the most interesting contacts occur when I am trying to get something accomplished in someone else's society. It's different than getting in another snorkel or visiting a museum or spending more time with other cruisers.
Old 22-01-2018, 13:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Panama Canal Agent Recommendation Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Handline transits do not use Pilots. They use Advisors who have various jobs in the Canal and have done training to be an Advisor. They do the Advisor job on their days off to earn extra money and often because they enjoy working with the cruisers.
Before Xmas there can be a lot of Advisors looking to earn some extra cash for the holidays. Afterward it can get tighter while the demand goes up.
I stand corrected.. guess it was the uniform blazer ours wore.. can't beat someone in a uniform..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 14:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I stand corrected.. guess it was the uniform blazer ours wore.. can't beat someone in a uniform..
Sounds a little more professional than this advisor we had on one transit
Old 22-01-2018, 15:05   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Not sure what corrupt fees you are referring to. All the transit fees are clearly on the Canal website. A lot of times people lump Panama customs, immigration and port captain in with the Canal Authority. They are completely separate. The Canal is run professionally and all your contacts will speak good English. I can't say that about customs, immigration, port captains, Kuna authority, etc.

I really agree with you on contacts with locals. I often find the most interesting contacts occur when I am trying to get something accomplished in someone else's society. It's different than getting in another snorkel or visiting a museum or spending more time with other cruisers.
+1. There is nothing corrupt about agents charging a published fee. Dont like it, dont pay it, but its not corrupt.

BTW...all agents are locals...as are all Canal Authority workers Ive come into contact with.

Did one transit where agent and his son also came along as line handlers. They spent the night aboard on Lake Gatun. Not corrupt, not exhorbitant, and very local.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 18:31   #22

If anyone is interested, here's an article I wrote about doing the Canal without an agent. It's pretty detailed
We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Agents | Blue Water Sailing

Here's another article on preparing your boat and safely transiting the Canal - with or without an agent
We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Agents, part 2 | Blue Water Sailing
Old 23-01-2018, 02:42   #23

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
I still stand by my statement that you do not get an earlier transit as a handline when you use an agent and at times it can be later.
Buying a Pilot for a transit instead of using an Advisor and paying for a specific date (which could be done with or without an agent) for much more than most cruisers would sign up for is a way to get an assigned transit. If I remember correctly you can actually get one up to a year in advance.
I don't think we're disagreeing about anything. But, the question was whether or not one can get through quicker with an agent. The answer is yes, absolutely, you can. At a hefty price.

But, we're talking about two separate questions here. The real key to getting through quickly is to pay for a full pilot, rather than wait for an adviser. Maybe you can do that without an agent, I don't know. I prefer to use local expertise in a place like the canal zone. To each their own.

So, there's the answer. Get a pilot and you'll get through fast. It'll cost a couple of grand extra. In my case, that's preferable to sitting around waiting, so I ponied up. I also have a job and all the demands on my time that this involves. It's worth it to me to pay up and get on with life. After I retire, I'll probably get to relax and join the crowds waiting for an adviser.

Others may see it differently. Shelter bay's not that cheap, though. You could blow through the pilot fee while you're waiting for a transit. Honestly, I'd rather pay up and get through. I'm no fan of Colon. Is anyone? Ok, there's some shopping there, but it's really a pretty awful place, imo.

So, I think that clears it up. Or makes it worse, I don't know.
Old 23-01-2018, 02:47   #24

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
I don't think we're disagreeing about anything. But, the question was whether or not one can get through quicker with an agent. The answer is yes, absolutely, you can. At a hefty price.

But, we're talking about two separate questions here. The real key to getting through quickly is to pay for a full pilot, rather than wait for an adviser. Maybe you can do that without an agent, I don't know. I prefer to use local expertise in a place like the canal zone. To each their own.

But, I think that my case is pretty instructive. NOBODY gets to transit the canal on the same day you arrive, unless you have arrangements made well in advance. I think this probably means an agent, but someone resourceful may be able to sort it out on their own. It was worth it to me to use the agent.

So, there's the answer. Get a pilot and you'll get through fast. It'll cost a couple of grand extra. In my case, that's preferable to sitting around for weeks waiting, so I ponied up. I also have a job and all the demands on my time that this involves. It's worth it to me to pay up and get on with life. After I retire, I'll probably get to relax and join the crowd waiting for an adviser.

Others may see it differently. Shelter bay's not that cheap, though. You could blow through the pilot fee while you're waiting for a transit. Honestly, I'd rather pay up and get through. I'm no fan of Colon. Is anyone? Ok, there's some shopping there, but it's really a pretty awful place, imo.

So, I think that clears it up. Or makes it worse, I don't know.
Old 23-01-2018, 06:19   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Jeff,
Planning to take BG from the Keys to Baja beginning in May. First time. Would be greatif we could make it together.
ronbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 12:58   #26

We used Tina back in 2006 going west to east.
She took care of all of our worries, can't recommend her more highly. Even took us downtown Panama city for shopping and had her helper drive us from Colon to the airport in Panama City to fly home for the hollidays. 38 foot Hans Christian we only had an advisor, I drove my own boat through the canal! and since the advisor was a tugboat skipper on the canal we took all the short cuts. Fast passage, trouble free!
schubvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 18:30   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

How not to wrap up your transit:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruisin...-canal-transit
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:44   #28

NZ Yacht CRISTINA

We came through last June, we did not use an agent, the process was relatively straight forward, and we only waited in Shelter Bay a week before transiting through the canal. (Thank God for the swimming pool). Give it a go yourself, you will save a lot of money [emoji41] and have the satisfaction of total independence.
Yes it did entail a couple of trips into Colon...no big deal...just keep your wits about you.
Whichever way you choose...good luck.
Joe Mills
Auckland NZ
Joemillsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 15:56   #29

Hello
I’m going sailing from Miami to China
(Crossing Panama Canal) on a 33 ‘ Watkins
I thought that the only to cross the canal was by an hiring an agent here in Miami
Is it possible to just show up at the canal avoiding the agent??
What is the procedure?
How much is it?
Gus39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 16:54   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchcailloch View Post
Hi from Catamaran Tiger Lily

Canal tolls Usd 800.00 (up to 50 feet)Line handler (Usd 120.00 per man) 120.00 (if needed)Lines hire 120.00 (if needed) Fenders hire (6 big ones) 120.00 (if needed)Canal inspection 55.00Security surcharge 130.00
Tourist visa Usd (105.00 per person) 105.00 (apply if exceed 72 hours in the country)
Clearance/cruising permit 210.00 (apply after 48 hours in the country=
Bank commission 90.00
Transit Agency fee - basic 450.00
Petties & Incidentals 100.00
Total estimate expenses Usd 2,300.00
Its been 5 years so I'm a bit rusty, but the cost of a DIY canal transit is the above estimate, LESS

Agency Fee $450
Petties and Incidentals $100
Bank Commission $90
Fender hire $120
Line Hire $120
Line handler hire $120/person.

The security deposit is higher than that quoted, but you get it all back unless you screw up.
Fenders are tires wrapped in garbage bags, more readily available on the Pacific side
Line handlers are other cruisers or backpackers, for the price of their food.
My lines were my extra anchor rode and a parachute anchor line.

Unless you are really low budget, plan on paying for Shelter Bay marina if you are transiting from the Atlantic side. Colon is really an armpit of the world.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, men, Panama, Panama Canal