Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 13:06   #1

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
More Tsunami Debris off the PNW Coast

Latitude38 just posted the falling info:

Authorities in Washington are warning mariners of a massive dock that was spotted by a fishing boat on Friday about 16 miles northwest of Grays Harbor. The dock was reported to be about the same size as the 66-ft beast that grounded itself on an Oregon beach in June.
Searches by the Coasties have failed to locate the dock, which is presumed to be debris from the last year's Japanese earthquake and tsunami. If you spot this or any other significant debris, you're asked to contact local authorities and report it to NOAA via email. For more info on tsunami debris, check out the website NOAA has set up.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 15:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: More Tsunami debris off the PNW coast

Up by Cape Flattery- not were I would want to hole a boat....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 16:50   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I wonder if tying up to that dock is less that $2 per night?

Would have to be: no facilities, no close shopping, no marina courtesy car. Id only rate it 2 Stars.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 17:05   #4

another vote for radar..... AIS wont help you with that one!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 18:03   #5

Boat: 29'

Thanks for the link and heads-up. JohnA...I read there that the really nasty corollary are the invasive species that are riding this flotsam.
People smuggled in ships is one thing but a whole foreign eco-system that is possible on such a large object is quite another.
Kinda scary, I'd say.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 18:27   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Nor would radar. Unless the left the amenities block on the dock.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 18:36   #7

Quote:
Concrete doesn't show up on radar worth a damn, nor does a submerged container. This being logging country where logs are still moved and stored via rafts, there is always the possibilty of floating logs far at sea.

I remember being on watch on a sailboat 30 miles off the Washington coast at 2AM when out of the dark I passed a seagull standing on a log not 5 feet from me.
Old 17-12-2012, 19:19   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Concrete doesn't show up on radar worth a damn, nor does a submerged container. This being logging country where logs are still moved and stored via rafts, there is always the possibilty of floating logs far at sea.

I remember being on watch on a sailboat 30 miles off the Washington coast at 2AM when out of the dark I passed a seagull standing on a log not 5 feet from me.
John....Not sure where you get that idea about concrete.
Marne Radar is a passive system where maximum target returns are based on hitting any object at as close to 90° as possible. (Look at radar reflectors on Nav Bouys and sailboats)

Performance of marine radar is largely determined by two factors, power and horizontal beam width.

The third key factor is the operator’s ability to manually adjust automatic filters so as to detect a solitary bird sitting on the water or tsunami debris.

Fourth of course is maintaining a constant radar watch, which the PNW is famous for because of the logs.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 19:57   #9

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Sailing the PNW, better carry a geiger counter. Fukushima is still spilling radioactive **** into the sea. This meltdown is not contained. fyi.
Old 17-12-2012, 21:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
John....Not sure where you get that idea about concrete.
Marne Radar is a passive system where maximum target returns are based on hitting any object at as close to 90° as possible. (Look at radar reflectors on Nav Bouys and sailboats)

Performance of marine radar is largely determined by two factors, power and horizontal beam width.

The third key factor is the operator’s ability to manually adjust automatic filters so as to detect a solitary bird sitting on the water or tsunami debris.

Fourth of course is maintaining a constant radar watch, which the PNW is famous for because of the logs.
I based my statement on the constant use of the Radar on my sailboat for ten years, sailing from SF to Flordia via Panama and Trinidad. The radar was mounted on the mast and interfaced to my GPS and I had it on an arm that swung the monitor out to be viewed from the cockpit while I was underway. Many, many times I would visual spot objects that didn't appear on the radar, no matter how much I fine tuned the unit. The most difficult were objects that were small and close to the water and wouldn't sort out from the sea clutter when a swell was running (almost always).

But I was just a paper chart singlehandler who had learned not to trust my life to electronics.

As for the logs, once they become waterloged they go vertical for a very longtime before they sink. Their tip is barely out of the water.
Old 17-12-2012, 22:02   #11

It is an interesting question of what increase in "ecosystems" hitch along with the flotsam. Yes, I do say increase since the beaches from AK and the PNW are littered with Japanese stuff for decades now. Some of it, like glass fishing balls, can be valuable. I know of one couple who are active sellers on e-bay of glass balls found on the beaches of AK.

Then there is the commercial shipping deposting ballast from one place to another.

The logs along those coasts are notorious such to the point that anyone in those waters best expect those hidden treasures. One notable near miss featured a log longer and wider beam than the 65' sloop. A relatively calm day, I happened to notice something "not right" about 1/2 mile off the bow. The way the bow pitched I shuddered to think what could have been. Still kinda makes my skin crawl when thinking about it. How many did I not see?

Those logs are a woodworkers delight when they wash up on the beach. A friend actually finished out his stern and transom from such a log. Very beautiful too.

I'm not worried about any radiation. My exposure to Sierra Nevada granite at high alt is more than what Fukashima has done on this side of the Pacific.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 22:27   #12

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I once read about a boat that had survived numerous problems, including rudder failure, on a trip back from Hawaii, only to hit a log within sight of the Port Angeles CG station. It quickly sank. Sailing at night off this coast has always been a fatalistic exercise - just a bit more so now.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 23:35   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

That piece of concrete is probably the last piece of a 5 piece floating dock that was washed away by the tsunami. 3 of the sections ended up back on shore in Japan and one in Oregon. The last piece had gone missing till now.

Stuff has been floating in from Asia forever on anything that can float over here. We picked up a float with a small piece of net in the doldrums on our way to the Marquesas. Couldn't believe how much marine life ended up on our deck from that float and net. Crabs, shrimp, barnacles, and a bunch of near microscopic flora and fauna. A little world living on that ball. Doubt that there will be anything new that will drop anchor.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 23:44   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
But I was just a paper chart singlehandler who had learned not to trust my life to electronics.
Says it all John....
There are a number of tricks to enhance low aspect targets in sea clutter, which can even be done on low power radars. I made sure I showed my watch-keepers how to depending on the type and quality of radar on board
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:02   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Are you sure? Have you ever been to Japan? Their toilets are microprocessor controlled and robotic. Why wouldn't their docks have AIS?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote