Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 06:19   #106

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
Re: Magnetic Pole Shift causing Armageddon!

Unfortunately you have all missed the point.
There was an article about a year go discussing the reversing or switching of the north and south poles. Historically it goes back and happened on the average every 400,000 years. It has been 700,000 years since the last on. The way it happens is the north pole travels south, the north pole travels south and they merge some where equatorial and then the separate the north continuing to the south and the south continuing north. The article had quite a few charts and one of them projected the path of the moving north pole and how it was accelerating every year and they predicted it would move faster and faster heading south and arrive in the equatorial area, (sorry I don't remember exactly where they said).in about 80 years. But this is not the real problem...the real problem is that when the north and south magnetic poles begin to get closer they will begin to cancel each other out. when they merge fully there will be no magnetic field at all and as the poles complete their change and then separate to their new homes the magnetic field will return. But still this is not the real problem. The real problem is that the magnetic field is what protects the earth and all its everything from cosmic radiation. As the magnetic field approaches zero, protection from cosmic radiation will approach zero. This will cause increased risks of cancer to humans and electronics like gps satellites that are sensitive to cosmic radiation will also suffer.
After reading the article I mulled it over for a week or two and then went back to download the article and it was gone. I read the article on spaceweather.com. I have followed news there and there is a group of university students in California that launch high altitude balloons every year to measure cosmic radiation and it has been increasing some 15% over the last 20+ years. The north pole has been moving rapidly but has not made a significant change in latitude from what the graph showed. The north pole was primarily heading to Siberia it said which may or may not be a precursor to heading south. One article says the south pole is relatively the same.
NOAA was about to publish updated magnetic variances but the shutdown has stalled that.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 08:50   #107

Boat: 79 Bertram 33 Fisherman
Smile Re: Magnetic Pole Shift causing Armageddon!

Well as an aircraft mechanic and now a boat mechanic lol (stopped hiring boat mechanics didn't like their work)

This magnetic pole shift effects them too BIG time. So its just not boats.

shorty

Proud owner of
79 Bertram 33 fisherman being restored after previous owner didn't take care of it and also know as my second wife rofl

Also the survivor of Michael. Took her up river 3 miles and tied her up winks
shortstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:18   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shorty.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 13:22   #109
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Most recently, Magnetic North migrated rapidly into Siberia."
I missed that. That's a kinda huge shift, like the Three Stooges saying "He went that a way" in three entirely different directions. Last I recall it was somewhere under Canada...not a trivial shift, especially if it is going to keep flipping around that way!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 15:00   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“... Earth’s north magnetic pole has been skittering away from Canada and towards Siberia, driven by liquid iron sloshing within the planet’s core. The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world’s geomagnetism experts into a rare move...”
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00007-1

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 16:38   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Hmm! Annual distance moved seems to correlate well with atmospheric CO2!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 17:34   #112

Wonder how the flat Earthers explain this.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 18:39   #113

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Poles don't exist. It is centrifugal force that causes the compass needle to point to the middle, as the ice on the outside of the disc melts unevenly the disc we live on has a changing axis the compass always points at the axis.

Give me a harder one.

Dave_S@frizbie.com
Old 22-01-2019, 19:32   #114

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The flat earth is causing this! There's your proof.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 06:52   #115

Al Gore said the sea levels would rise due to global warming and we'd all die in ten years! So I bought a boat....that was 28 years ago. Then the world was going to end because of Y2K so I bought a generator and a chainsaw. That was 19 years ago. Supposed to be a zombie apocalypse not to long ago but I figured I'd be ok since I live on my boat and we all know zombies can't swim!
George Bush became responsible for everything that is wrong in the world but I survived this to. NOW, because the libs have gone COMPLETELY bat sh%t crazy, Donald Trump is gonna kill us all next week....or is it the Russians???
Keep your sails crisp. Your fuel and water topped off. Learn to hunt/fish if you don't already know how and YOU WILL JUST KEEP ON LIVIN'
Strayed Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 11:52   #116

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

Better to use that "TVMDC" iPhone app. 'Keep's us heading straight! : >
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 14:22   #117
rbk

Boat: T37

I'm just hoping that instead of a 180 degree shift it only shifts 90 degrees give or take. Our boat would then be in the tropics and I wouldn't have to lift a finger
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 05:12   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Bryden View Post
I seriously doubt the creditability of this article. For the magnetic pole to move from northern Canada to Siberia would be a huge change. Government alerts would be published as this would effect much more than just boats using a magnetic compass. It reads like something that would be published in the Onion. Of course, if you buy into this you could always blame it on the Russians or maybe it is President Trump's fault.
The south magnetic pole has moved off the Antartic main land and is in the ocean.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 05:19   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hmm! Annual distance moved seems to correlate well with atmospheric CO2!
Stu, I hope your statement a send up? You seem to me to be knowledgeable normally.
Old 29-01-2019, 05:27   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Easy, I reply to flat earthers that being Australians we live on the under side of the plate and glue our water to the land and I sell the water proof glue by the barrel if the need to buy some. The worst thing though, one replied how much