Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2019, 08:01   #46

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Mac vs. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleeglenn View Post
I am researching platforms to run PredictWind & OCENS Mail plus be a general boat computer.
Can anyone share experience with the efficacy of an iPad vs. PC based hardware like a Surface Pro for these applications.
I imagine just about anything will run those programs without breaking a sweat. I use a Panasonic Toughbook that I got used on ebay for less than $500 with an SSD drive, with another identical one as backup. It's a bit of an energy hog, but splashproof, daylight viewable, backlit keyboard for night watches, touchscreen, magnesium case etc.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 10:49   #47

Found:

WHICH IPAD FOR NAVIGATION

https://blog.francis-fustier.fr/en/quel-ipad-pour-la-navigation/
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 08:11   #48

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

The original poster asked about iPads or PCs like a Surface. I guess it means he is looking at tablets. The most important aspect of navigating on any kind of tablet is the ability to get the GPS signal. That was what made the iPads so amazing when they first arrived on the scene with real GPS inside, but always only if you had bought the GPS+cellular version.

The programs he asked about like Predict Wind and Navionics are available for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. But to really make use of them, the machine has to have access to a GPS signal.

The Surface line doesn't have internal GPS, but there are various ways you can add GPS via a USB GPS receiver, or an Android tablet can add a Bad Elf bluetooth GPS, etc. if it doesn't have built-in GPS. But it is something to think about.

We like the fact that our phones and iPads do serve as back-ups for the ship's navigation system, so that if our GPS goes out in other devices, we still have multiple methods to navigate.

I'm happy that we are building a new boat that will be totally PC-based, with no chart plotters, but sad that our choice of software, TimeZero, is not available for the Mac OS. I've been a Mac user from the beginning. The years that I had to deal with Windows machines at work are not fondly remembered. But the TimeZero navigation software is amazing, and there is an iOS version of sorts.

And while there is no OpenCPm for iOS, there is iNavX. It does get pricey with all the charts, but it also has many features Navionics does not. And if you are headed out to places where the charts are sketchy like the South Pacific, Ovital Maps lets you use downloaded Google Maps satellite charts which can tell you if the charts you have are very accurate and the satellite photos often show the reefs much better.

Good luck!
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 14:42   #49

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
. That was what made the iPads so amazing when they first arrived on the scene with real GPS inside, but always only if you had bought the GPS+cellular version.
GPS in a tablet is hardly amazing.
My no cellular $100 android tablet has it as does my $40 android phone.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 15:03   #50

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleeglenn View Post
Now that all the computer geeks have spoken, can anyone answer the original question about Mac (iPad or laptop) running PredictWind . OCENS Mail &/or Navionics vs. the same applications on. PC laptop.
Navionics, certainly, the other two, if these are browser based apps, and I think they are, then any device capable of getting internet should run them.

As far as efficiency, the biggest power cost is the screen. A bigger screen uses more power. Well, a high end laptop with a big processor running a heavy game, then that would be a power user too, but that's not what the OP is asking to do.

So, a small screen on an ipad would be less power hungry. As for laptops, I think, size for size, there would be little difference between Apple or PC. I have used Dell for years.
Old 16-06-2019, 15:24   #51

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
GPS in a tablet is hardly amazing.
My no cellular $100 android tablet has it as does my $40 android phone.
In 2011 it was. “When they first arrived on the scene” he said...

Also note that if you have wifi instrumentation, such as with an XB8000, you get gps along with everything else so no need for a cellular iPad.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote