Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2006, 06:03   #1

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
ICW Chartbook Update?

I have a copy of "The Intracoastal Waterway Chartbook, THIRD EDITION" by John and Leslie Kettlewell, which was published in 1999, with charts updated to 1998, and Bridge listings updated to 1998. The latest edition (Fourth Edition) available (from McGraw-Hill/International Marine) was published in 2003, with charts and Bridge info updated in 2002. Anyone have an opinion whether it's worth buying the latest (2003) edition??

Thanks,

Tom
Kinsale, VA
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 06:53   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Depends on what it costs but for me I'm still using the charts I bought in 1989. Many of the opening bridges have been replaced by hi-rises. Skipper Bob's booklet on anchorages also gives the latest info on bridges. That's the major change. The channel has been altered slightly in other areas. The tricky parts in the inlets are changed nearly every year or so. In some spots, such as New Smyrna, a new channel is available because the old one (still marked) is shoaling badly but overall there aren't too many changes. Of course, you can't rely on any of these charts for depth.
Old 25-09-2006, 07:00   #3

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
tomj;

I have both the Third Edition and Fourth Edition of the Kettlewell's "ICW Chartbook". I like the newer edition because all the charts are the same scale ... makes it easier to estimate distances with out setting and re-setting dividers. Also it has more current Navigational Aid numbers. Probably not "exactly" current ... an impossible task as the ICW is over a thousand miles long and the Coast guard is constantly making changes.

There are little anchor symbols here and there showing suggested anchoring spots on the Fourth Edition.

For bridge schedules, try: http://www.fortpiercecitymarina.com/...dge_sched.html

A schedule obtained over the net can be printed out and is (hopefully) the latest revision. Anything printed and bound is going to be current only to the instant it goes to press and that could be months or even a year old by the time you get it.

There are a few other ICW links with up-to-date info accessible from http://www.snowbirders.net (disclosure: this is my website). Click on "ICW Links" on the mail menu.

Tom and Mel Neale post a great report (from time to time) about ICW conditions including bridge information as available. Follow this link: http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=136

Good luck with your plans.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 10:41   #4

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
Thanks much for your replies - just the info we needed. We'll be heading "south" in late October from the mid Chesapeake area, after the A-37 Owners Assoc. Rendezvous 14-15 Oct.

Tom
Kinsale, VA
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 17:07   #5
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
I recommend Kettlewell's book in my seminars, with one proviso - the anchorage recommendations are not to be trusted without checking first. The anchorage noted at mile 538, St. Augustine's Creek, just past the Savannah River, is travelled by a large gambling cruise ship nightly. Anchoring there puts you right in his path. There are others where you are blocking the exit to villages with shrimping fleets for example.
fyi, it would be appropriate to provide my bona fides - I am a published boating writer and also a Cruising Editor for the Waterway Guides, as well as having travelled the ICW over a dozen times in the past few years.
Use the chartbook, certainly, but don't trust the anchorages.

W. Moran
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 17:45   #6

I have found skipper bobs anchorage guide more complete the the icw guide
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw