Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 15:18   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: How to do a 18 month circumnavigation from San Francisco?

Silver - your reply was refreshing. If you come across the Columbia bank I will take you out to Thai right behind the marina.
Fair winds to all.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:56   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Seriously Yolo; you are out of touch with reality if you don't understand what people are trying to relay to you. Slow down and listen if you want to bother posting. A hunch tells me if you go to sea with this attitude you won't last a month let alone 18.
You can't Cliff note this thing, do the serious research. If you want I could relay a number of stories of aborted attempts in mid-ocean. Because of improper and ill advised prep.
As an aside, the captain on my current ship is about to retire and do the world ARC so that is not all talk.
Wishing you the best in your prep.

Hey Randy,

How long will your friend take to do the world ARC?
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:59   #108

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post

Hey Randy,

How long will your friend take to do the world ARC?
15 months
Old 02-04-2014, 17:07   #109
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
15 months
Woah! As a friend, you might want to consider sharing some of the knowledge and optimism I've received on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
No offence, but you are starting it on the wrong path.
You would be foolish to attempt a circumnavigation on a schedule, specially such a short one. Mother nature is the master, not you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Why 18 months? Way to short, why the rush? So you basically don't want to see anything and are just gonna cracking it out as some sort of personal goal? I know it doesn't seem as romantic to just cruise Mexico and South America for a while but the 18 month circ makes little sense.
Quote:
Why not stretch to 3 years, that's almost a regular time frame and you could actually get a taco and beer in several countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
1. Your timeframe is a very tough one, and considering the goals most of the cruisers have in mind for their trips there are far better alternatives to consider. Clearly you have considered them but have a different set of goals. No way anybody could have made that up from your post.

2. If you had done any research on the matter at all you would have known that doing a circumnavigation in that timeframe is a true race of sorts and that MANY variables are in play. You haven't given us anything to go on. How many crew on board? What type of boat? How hard do you want to push her? What's your experience level? How scared are you of nasty weather? How prepared are you for it? What places do you really want to see and what places wouldn't you mind skipping? You're pretty much saying "I want to cycle around the world, what route do I take", only that would be simpler since you wouldn't have to worry about ocean currents and weather patterns so much...

To conclude, I just want to say that you can have all the adventure and sense of accomplishment you want without circumnavigating. The risk is when starting the trip on that timeframe, there will be a point of no return, and if anything unforseen happens beyond that point you will have no choice but to lengthen the trip or to abandon the whole plan/boat alltogether. A piece of broken gear you have to order in and because of that delay end up in the wrong part of the ocean in the wrong time of year and you're done.
Quote:
Boat travel is slow, for most it's about the destination not the trip. I do 7 months every winter and know first hand that a 18 month circ is not realistic for a safe or fun trip. A race maybe, but you would have to be a very skilled pro to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Just an observation, it seems like you wouldn't have time for main stops. With your other constraints you have already predetermined the route and timing. Not sure what we could add.

Just my two cents based on my circumnavigation of the North Atlantic, why turn a trip of a lifetime into a gymnastics event? What do you want out of this trip? Is it bragging rights? With the information you have provided this is where it seems you are heading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
I am thinking about swimming to the moon in about a week....... Any advice?

Seriously, let's end this here. I went about this the wrong way and wasn't the friendliest, and for that I apologize. But this is a trip I'm really looking forward to, and when you see things like the responses above, it was easy to get discouraged.

I've learned my lesson and apart from my last sarcastic post at Silver to prove my point, I hope to learn from the experience others have had and give back to this forum.

Over and out.

Old 02-04-2014, 17:23   #110

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:

Woah! As a friend, you might want to consider sharing some of the knowledge and optimism I've received on this forum

Seriously, let's end this here. I went about this the wrong way and wasn't the friendliest, and for that I apologize. But this is a trip I'm really looking forward to, and when you see things like the responses above, it was easy to get discouraged.

I've learned my lesson and apart from my last sarcastic post at Silver to prove my point, I hope to learn from the experience others have had and give back to this forum.

Over and out.

That's more like it. You so have to filter out some very conservative viewpoints on this forum, sometimes. But it's worth it for the great knowledge and ideas. Comradeship, even
Old 02-04-2014, 17:32   #111

Quote:

Over and out.
Wish you the best.

You may not be aware that this phrase is like fingernails on a blackboard to communications folk.

If you don't, then you need to do some seriously enhanced reading...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 17:36   #112
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
No offence, but you are starting it on the wrong path.
You would be foolish to attempt a circumnavigation on a schedule, specially such a short one. Mother nature is the master, not you...
Quote:
Why 18 months? Way to short, why the rush? So you basically don't want to see anything and are just gonna cracking it out as some sort of personal goal? I know it doesn't seem as romantic to just cruise Mexico and South America for a while but the 18 month circ makes little sense.
Quote:
Why not stretch to 3 years, that's almost a regular time frame and you could actually get a taco and beer in several countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
People are posting their "opinions" because for a number of reasons:

1. Your timeframe is a very tough one, and considering the goals most of the cruisers have in mind for their trips there are far better alternatives to consider. Clearly you have considered them but have a different set of goals. No way anybody could have made that up from your post.

2. If you had done any research on the matter at all you would have known that doing a circumnavigation in that timeframe is a true race of sorts and that MANY variables are in play. You haven't given us anything to go on. How many crew on board? What type of boat? How hard do you want to push her? What's your experience level? How scared are you of nasty weather? How prepared are you for it? What places do you really want to see and what places wouldn't you mind skipping? You're pretty much saying "I want to cycle around the world, what route do I take", only that would be simpler since you wouldn't have to worry about ocean currents and weather patterns so much...

To conclude, I just want to say that you can have all the adventure and sense of accomplishment you want without circumnavigating. The risk is when starting the trip on that timeframe, there will be a point of no return, and if anything unforseen happens beyond that point you will have no choice but to lengthen the trip or to abandon the whole plan/boat alltogether. A piece of broken gear you have to order in and because of that delay end up in the wrong part of the ocean in the wrong time of year and you're done.
Quote:
Seems like a reoccurring theme that you start a thread and get all pissy about the answers and advice you get. Let me break it to you, "off topic" does not exist. It's a public forum and this thread goes how we make it go, it has little if anything to do with you. You could never sign on again and we might chat about it for 900 more posts. That's cruisers forum, take if or leave it . And we are by no means couch sailing, I'm on board doing a painfully slow 3.8 kts and have been on the water since October 10th. Boat travel is slow, for most it's about the destination not the trip. I do 7 months every winter and know first hand that a 18 month circ is not realistic for a safe or fun trip. A race maybe, but you would have to be a very skilled pro to do it. And from the questions you've asked in the past , you are not that guy. Maybe buy a boat in St. Augustine and in November you could follow Stanly Paris out for his circ effort, just keep him in sight and there's your route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Just an observation, it seems like you wouldn't have time for main stops. With your other constraints you have already predetermined the route and timing. Not sure what we could add.

Just my two cents based on my circumnavigation of the North Atlantic, why turn a trip of a lifetime into a gymnastics event? What do you want out of this trip? Is it bragging rights? With the information you have provided this is where it seems you are heading.

Everyone has different goals and motivations but what you are proposing wants to be appreciated and lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
I am thinking about swimming to the moon in about a week....... Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wish you the best.

You may not be aware that this phrase is like fingernails on a blackboard to communications folk.

If you don't, then you need to do some seriously enhanced reading...
I can't seem to win haha - I definitely recognize I have a lot to learn
Old 02-04-2014, 17:41   #113

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Everyone deserves a second chance... why don't we delete this thread. Then, you can go back and repost the same question and add in some super critical and honest evaluations of you skills, your boat, etc...now that you have some ideas on the route you are interested in, why not include that as well.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 17:42   #114
cruiser

I would get strong crew rather than your friends if they're not skilled sailors. You don't wanna the guy that has to deal with everything. On a leisurely trip maybe, but your gonna be haulin most of the time and not hanging out for the seasons to change. This doesn't sound like the trip to be introducing people to sailing.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 17:44   #115
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I would get strong crew rather than your friends if they're not skilled sailors. You don't wanna the guy that has to deal with everything. On a leisurely trip maybe, but your gonna be haulin most of the time and not hanging out for the seasons to change. This doesn't sound like the trip to be introducing people to sailing.
We bought the boat and delivered it ourselves last week. It's already outfitted for bluewater cruising and needs some minor upgrades, so we'll be able to focus on sailing and doing some longer trips in the next year or so to prep the crew. My friend actually volunteered to crew for someone I introduced him to and arrived just 3 days ago to the Marquesas from San Diego! So we're doing our due dilligence to build up experience before we leave.
Old 02-04-2014, 17:47   #116

Lol, I love you guys. I'll not ask too many questions on this forum cause I like to do my own research. The honesty is awesome. No sugar coating... "Hey dumbass, you need to listen!" My boss used to say "you have two ears and one mouth, talk half as much and listen twice as hard." :-)
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 18:49   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Everyone deserves a second chance... why don't we delete this thread. Then, you can go back and repost the same question and add in some super critical and honest evaluations of you skills, your boat, etc...now that you have some ideas on the route you are interested in, why not include that as well.
Everyone does deserve a second chance, that is correct. No need to delete this thread though, too many folks have contributed to it and there have been some posts with good info in them.

If all take a deep breath and allow that the OP has now admitted that he has made a couple of mistakes in his posts, and that should earn more than a degree of respect, because many that should, don't, then we can all assist somebody to perhaps achieve their dream. It may not be mine, or yours, but it is theirs.

Coops.
Old 02-04-2014, 20:47   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Fair enough Coops. I'll behave (sorta). I like intelligent conversation about sailing.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 21:00   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

"Sorta" is all we can hope for from you.

Coops.
Old 02-04-2014, 21:22   #120

Boat: Outremer 50S

Yolo, you might find either of the following of interest. Different routes and starting points, but the basic concept is similar:

Advice on Quick Circumnavigation — Noonsite

Ginni MacRobert, mother of 6, sets off on her own for an 18-month circumnavigation. « The Women and Cruising Blog

I particularly appreciate Ginni's quote:

Quote:
18 months was much too short, but it was either achieve this or not try at all.
and the transit timings for Oz and the Indian come from the guru himself.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, san francisco