Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 12:17   #61

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: How to do a 18 month circumnavigation from San Francisco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
*If* you actually promise to attempt this plan - I'll pitch-in on a SPOT for ya!

/evil grin
+1 I'll pitch in for that too.

A little humility could serve the O.P. well

Hopefully he informs us how he is doing along the way or at the end but somehow I doubt he will
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
You asked a legitimate question. You got some unsolicited advice by people with different goals than you have. You were a bit harsh, but I feel your pain. There's more than one way to circumnavigate and your way is no less valid than theirs.

Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook is fantastic and you should buy it if you haven't already.

She outlines the minimum amount of time to circumnavigate in one of the early chapters and gives the route and timetable. She bases it on hurricane seasons and assumes a Red Sea route (written before the piracy problems got bad). Her answer is 18 months, of which you'll be at sea for about 6 months and at anchor fixing broken stuff for the rest of the time.

I have no knowledge of your experience or whether this is a good idea for you. I would certainly do it in 18 months if I was doing it without a family. Why not?

I'm not sure about the Red Sea yet, might wait another year, but that's your call, not mine.
Thanks for the help. I just ordered the book, so I'll have more perspectives other than Jimmy Cornwell's.

We bought a fairly modern (2003) boat that's already done some extensive bluewater cruising, the idea is to hope that whatever had to break has broken already and we're counting on the redundant systems it has. Hopefully by making the investment up front on a newer vessel will pay off with less time repairing it during out trip.

Regarding the Red Sea, it's certainly risky. It's hard to plan so far in advance, we'll have to see how things are throughout this year and see if we can buddy up with some other boats for that part of the route.
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39   #63
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
+1 I'll pitch in for that too.

A little humility could serve the O.P. well

Hopefully he informs us how he is doing along the way or at the end but somehow I doubt he will
I will. Just like Bumfuzzle did, and proved most of the naysayers wrong.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:52   #64

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
We bought a fairly modern (2003) boat that's already done some extensive bluewater cruising, the idea is to hope that whatever had to break has broken already and we're counting on the redundant systems it has. Hopefully by making the investment up front on a newer vessel will pay off with less time repairing it during out trip.
I don't know if you are just joking with this statement or naive. If you make this trip within 18 months or within 5 years, you will spend a major portion of it fixing your boat in exotic ports -- like all other cruisers, successful ones or not.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:52   #65

Quote:
I will. Just like Bumfuzzle did, and proved most of the naysayers wrong.
I'm glad you have a goal. At least now we know your objective is to just do it. Not see the world in detail. Good great starting point balls to the wall just to do it. Ok next what kind of boat? A 2003 what O'day? Hunter? Oyster? Oh and size would be good too. I hope you make it I really do but being a Delta Bravo right out of the gate isn't helping your cause, hence the skepticism.

You may want to try starting with Hi my name is......, I have been sailing since........, I currently own a.........., I would like to accomplish .........., this is my time frame due to ............... circumstance, Can anyone lend assistance in my quest?

For all we know you have never sailed and don't know port from starboard. Or you could be a racing legend and want to expand your experience. The big help would be telling everyone so They know where to start helping you. Good luck buddy hope you prove to yourself what ever you want to prove.
Old 01-04-2014, 13:08   #66
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I'm glad you have a goal. At least now we know your objective is to just do it. Not see the world in detail. Good great starting point balls to the wall just to do it. Ok next what kind of boat? A 2003 what O'day? Hunter? Oyster? Oh and size would be good too. I hope you make it I really do but being a Delta Bravo right out of the gate isn't helping your cause, hence the skepticism.

You may want to try starting with Hi my name is......, I have been sailing since........, I currently own a.........., I would like to accomplish .........., this is my time frame due to ............... circumstance, Can anyone lend assistance in my quest?

For all we know you have never sailed and don't know port from starboard. Or you could be a racing legend and want to expand your experience. The big help would be telling everyone so They know where to start helping you. Good luck buddy hope you prove to yourself what ever you want to prove.
I requested help not based on my experience, but based on my goal. The goal is to circumnavigate within 2 years starting in SF, going through the Red Sea and omiting stormy seasons.

Thanks for looking out for my safety though!
Old 01-04-2014, 13:16   #67

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Given your reaction to an internet thread that doesn't do exactly what you want it to do, I would just love to see your blog on this trip.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 13:36   #68

Quote:
I requested help not based on my experience, but based on my goal. The goal is to circumnavigate within 2 years starting in SF, going through the Red Sea and omiting stormy seasons.

Thanks for looking out for my safety though!
The fact that you don't think knowing someone's experience level before giving them advice is important speaks volumes. Does someone need to tell you how to raise the main sail or are you an accomplished sailor. Either answer is going to give varying recommendations of routes.

Adding on to that, the fact that you are so resistant to give basic information like boat size, boat brand, what equipment it has, what your experience level is if any makes people wonder should anyone give this person advice. Are you doing this in a dinghy or a mega yacht. All of that info will change what route people suggest.

Get past your own ego of tell me what I want to know, not what you want me to know, have a little humility and be prepared when you ask a basic no info question to get basic no info responses.
Old 01-04-2014, 13:52   #69

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
The fact that you don't think knowing someone's experience level before giving them advice is important speaks volumes. Does someone need to tell you how to raise the main sail or are you an accomplished sailor. Either answer is going to give varying recommendations of routes.

Adding on to that, the fact that you are so resistant to give basic information like boat size, boat brand, what equipment it has, what your experience level is if any makes people wonder should anyone give this person advice. Are you doing this in a dinghy or a mega yacht. All of that info will change what route people suggest.

Get past your own ego of tell me what I want to know, not what you want me to know, have a little humility and be prepared when you ask a basic no info question to get basic no info responses.
I agree his attitude is a bit wanting, but he did indicate boat and number of crew a page ago: "Beneteau 423 with 2-4 variable crew."

Since he's proposing the absolute easiest route around the world, does it matter what his experience is? If he as asking about a Great Capes route, maybe it would be a bit different. The only thing we could tell him would be not to do it at all. But what fun would that be?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 13:53   #70
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

2003 Beneteau 423 (Fischer Panda 4.5kva generator, a/c, Raymarine 120W, autopilot, 80HP Volvo, AIS, 45lb manson anchor, 45lb CQR., close to new main/genova/spinnaker are the main highlights)

- Extensive cruising in Spain for several summers for 2-3 months at a time
- ~200 sailing days in the past 2 years in SF Bay on a J92S
- Several years of racing experience on F18 catamarans

I'm looking forward to the recommendations you can give me based on your lake boating experience! You seem quite confident that you can give me the answers you're looking for!

(I'm sorry if I'm hesitant in responding, but I just know that this opens up another can of worms. I wonder how long until someone tells me Beneteau's are only coastal cruisers and aren't meant for offshore sailing...)
Old 01-04-2014, 13:54   #71

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Scoobert? Is that you?
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 14:00   #72

Quote:
I agree his attitude is a bit wanting, but he did indicate boat and number of crew a page ago: "Beneteau 423 with 2-4 variable crew."
Sorry I missed that post. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
2003 Beneteau 423 (Fischer Panda 4.5kva generator, a/c, Raymarine 120W, autopilot, 80HP Volvo, AIS, 45lb manson anchor, 45lb CQR., close to new main/genova/spinnaker are the main highlights)

(I'm sorry if I'm hesitant in responding, but I just know that this opens up another can of worms. I wonder how long until someone tells me Beneteau's are only coastal cruisers and aren't meant for offshore sailing...)
Thank you for the info. Have a little faith in what people will tell you when they have the whole picture. At least now people know what you will be able to provision for, what your boat is capable of for speed, and how long of legs in between land fall they could recommend.
Old 01-04-2014, 14:05   #73
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Sorry I missed that post. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thank you for the info. Have a little faith in what people will tell you when they have the whole picture. At least now people know what you will be able to provision for, what your boat is capable of for speed, and how long of legs in between land fall they could recommend.
This is not the information I was looking for, but thanks for your wisdom.
Old 01-04-2014, 14:43   #74

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:

I'm looking forward to the recommendations you can give me based on your lake boating experience! You seem quite confident that you can give me the answers you're looking for!

Sounds like your time frame, boat, and experience are adequate to me. The main thing I'm struggling with is your attitude. As another poster mentioned, you aren't coming across as the adaptable laid back type that will enjoy life under sail for 18 months.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 14:45   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Sounds like your time frame, boat, and experience are adequate to me. The main thing I'm struggling with is your attitude. As another poster mentioned, you aren't coming across as the adaptable laid back type that will enjoy life under sail for 18 months.
Thanks for the stamp of approval.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, san francisco