Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 23:28   #121

Re: How to do a 18 month circumnavigation from San Francisco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Everyone deserves a second chance... why don't we delete this thread. Then, you can go back and repost the same question and add in some super critical and honest evaluations of you skills, your boat, etc...now that you have some ideas on the route you are interested in, why not include that as well.
Ill call Charles Manson and tell him the great news right away!!

He'll be delighted!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 00:59   #122

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well Yolo I guess you've seen that around here there are a number of opinions (I've got one too).

I haven't studied an SF departure RTW so I can't help you with the routing. Jimmy Cornells books (and many others, including Beth Leonards) can give you much of the concrete information you're looking for.

I'll venture a comment on your 18 months (even though you don't want to discuss this time frame). As others have noted, an 18 month RTW will mean hauling a** most of the time. You'll see a lot of water and very little land.

It can be done, especially if you have an experienced crew and your boat does not run into serious maintanence issues (spares can very extremely difficult to source in many locations).

Re your going up through the Red Sea. You say that you are aware of the danger and prepared to accept the consequences. As the skipper, you have the responsibility for your crew. You'd better be damned sure they also know the potential consequences.

If you and your boat are taken - who is going to pay the ransom? This is something you should consider. Does your family (no one else will pay) have the means to pony up 2,3,4 million dollars?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the Red Sea idea is a very bad idea. To put it bluntly - only a fool would sail up through there.

So now you've been given my opinion(and advice). It is worth exactly what you have paid for it (nothing).

Assuming you will go through with this plan - good luck and fair winds - you'll need both. Drop us a line occassionally on your way around so we can follow your exploits

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53   #123
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Seriously, let's end this here. I went about this the wrong way and wasn't the friendliest, and for that I apologize. But this is a trip I'm really looking forward to, and when you see things like the responses above, it was easy to get discouraged.

I've learned my lesson and apart from my last sarcastic post at Silver to prove my point, I hope to learn from the experience others have had and give back to this forum.

Over and out.

Good on ya lad! Takes a good man to say that when people are jumping on you. Be patient, if you keep making a sincere request for assistance like above the forum will fall in behind you and offer support.

Just remember, what you are asking for is difficult - especially for someone without prior passagemaking experience.

I think if we can all just get over ourselves and recognize that regardless of what we say you are still going to gp for it and instead of trying to talk you out of it lets think creatively and provide more than one solution.

However an additional set of advice and recommendations should be received regarding prepping your boat as you are gling to want the "skills and spares" to keep moving and not get stuck in a place for months waiting for DHL.

I wouldmalso suggest that you have a logic tree of sorts for route variations in the various weather and geographical bottlenecks so that if your timing or the weather is off you do not throw the whole trip off.

Good luck!

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:07   #124

Boat: Seadog 30

A big thumbs up for World Cruising Routes
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:28   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Yolo, you might find either of the following of interest. Different routes and starting points, but the basic concept is similar:

Advice on Quick Circumnavigation — Noonsite

Ginni MacRobert, mother of 6, sets off on her own for an 18-month circumnavigation. « The Women and Cruising Blog

I particularly appreciate Ginni's quote:

and the transit timings for Oz and the Indian come from the guru himself.
i met ginni in mayotte in the comores islands on her 2006 circumnavigation
,after she had tied up to a tempory mooring i had laid a few days before..............

i did warn her that her anchor on her boat might be better than using my 35 kg anchor in 60 ft ft water with no chain!

the mooring was only supposed to hold a 20 ft sailboat!

lucky the weather was calm

Ginni MacRobert, mother of 6, sets off on her own for an 18-month circumnavigation. « The Women and Cruising Blog
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 17:55   #126

Boat: Able 50

I used to sail an old armchair but the darned thing wouldn't point so I got rid of it.

Sure was comfy though.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 18:51   #127

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Yolo,

Good on you for the apology and change of etiquette. I for one have posted in jest and light hearted humor. No offense intended.

If you sift through the extra comments and a bit of the noise you will find a handful of references (Cornell, OP of the world.....etc). There is your answer. In my opinion you will have to research this and decide for yourself which route and when. Only you can make these decisions as the skipper of your vessel. It is a big undertaking that you have embarked on. Nothing to take lightly. And nothing that a web forum can answer for you.

Good luck!!!
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 19:01   #128

Yolo,

Just occurred to me after these recent posts that Captain Fatty Goodlander has written not only a few great books, but was a recurring contributor to Cruising World magazine. IIRC, he did a long, maybe two or three part article on going up the Red Sea and its approaches in a "convoy" a few years ago.

It might be worth your while to look for it on the cruising world website.

Good luck, but if it was my boat and my life, I wouldn't even think about it. Try seeing Captain Phillips for an idea of why not.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 23:13   #129

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yolo,

Just occurred to me after these recent posts that Captain Fatty Goodlander has written not only a few great books, but was a recurring contributor to Cruising World magazine. IIRC, he did a long, maybe two or three part article on going up the Red Sea and its approaches in a "convoy" a few years ago.

It might be worth your while to look for it on the cruising world website.

Good luck, but if it was my boat and my life, I wouldn't even think about it. Try seeing Captain Phillips for an idea of why not.
I've never understood how a convoy is supposed to help.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:23   #130

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I've never understood how a convoy is supposed to help.
It makes some people feel better that their death will be reported promptly? The pirates know that none of you are armed and all you can do is watch and talk on the radio but why should they care about that? Maybe those in a convoy plan to jump overboard before the pirates get there and hope another convoy boat picks them up and the pirates won' t then target that boat? I guess I don't understand it either. If I was a pirate, I'd love to see a whole bunch of yachts traveling together so I could "shop" around the whole fleet and steal all their stuff without having to make a whole bunch of trips out from shore.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 13:58   #131

Boat: Farrier f27

I spent about 1 1/2 yrs in the Horn of Africa helping out with CTF 150 (the multinational antipiracy coalition). The point of convoys for commercial vessels as well as yachts was and is to facilitate monitoring by the limited defenses forces and it was effective. One warship with its helicopters could easily protect a large number of vessels during their transit through the areas of the Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea and east of Africa.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 14:37   #132

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

I'm up to post 8 ... great reading. Remember we've all been 27 once.
Suggested reading before you set sail:
Dove by Robin Lee Graham ... took him about 5 years
Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi ... took her about 3 years
By Way of the Wind by Jim Moore ... he made many long term stops along the way
Two on a Big Ocean by Hal Roth ... He circumnavigated the Pacific rim ... 18 month
and of course anything by Eric Hiscock

We're all just trying to help you make a very fun, exciting, and successful journey

My favorite by far is Hal Roth books because he sailed Spencer 35 and I have a Spencer 42 ... all his books are great not only for reading but for technical reading. After 50000 miles is a must to keep on the boat.
Old 04-04-2014, 14:45   #133

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
The point of convoys for commercial vessels as well as yachts was and is to facilitate monitoring by the limited defenses forces and it was effective.
As I recall the british couple that were kidnapped a few years had an RN ship within spitting distance when they were taken....
I think it was the same when the americans were shot dead in the not to distant past....

Sorry ... but I would rather take my chances with tsunamis.....
Old 04-04-2014, 15:11   #134

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
As I recall the british couple that were kidnapped a few years had an RN ship within spitting distance when they were taken....

I think it was the same when the americans were shot dead in the not to distant past....

Sorry ... but I would rather take my chances with tsunamis.....

Can't disagree with that decision El. I certainly wouldn't advise transiting that area with a yacht and didn't mean to sound like I was.
Towards the OPs idea of taking that route I don't know of anyone who would.
I don't know about the English couple but the Americans had gone out on their own off of Oman and assistance was at least a day away. Pirates look for soft targets and commercial shipping is easier to defend in a variety of ways. Once hostages are taken, the risks rise exponentially.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:21   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

here is a good account of mahidi,and gandalf travelling in convoy,i was about 18 hours behind them ,this one has a happy ending,for those thinking of travelling in convoy.

Violent Pirate Attack On Two Yachts Off Yemen — Noonsite
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, san francisco