Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2014, 13:10   #13

Re: GPS solution on small boat, often inland waters

I've had a Lowrance Elite 4 Gold plotter/sounder for several years and I find it more than adequate. Gold = 2 gig map chip that covers all Canada and inland waters. I am quite sure the upper Ottawa is mapped since I'm on the upper Gatineau and the contained mapping is suprisingly accurate. We trailered our B25 to the North Channel in 2012 and I could not differentiate electronic maps from the paper we carried. Size was fine. I have it on a companion way swing out so it's always close at hand. Sunlight visibility also fine although a shade out of bit of tape and paper always helps. Much better sunlight vis than, say, my phone. I've used it at night and the display dims down nicely. You can up and down load routes via the micro sd card. Voltmeter, timer, trip etc. All the stuff any plotter has. I guess my the main points are, I like the small size and the included maps are excellent. I like having it hard wired to endless battery power and always ready. And all at a price in keeping with my ride.
amstel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, water