Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 16:50   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
David - I understand where you're coming from on the issue, but is it pragmatic?, or defeatist? So an overwhelming number of recreational boaters don't know what the inverted cone means -- these same boaters don't know most of the Rules. Do we just toss out all the Rules, then? I don't think so - we should demand and expect more of everyone on the water; not just accept the current level of ignorance. The same goes for standing on - the stand-on vessel does not have "right of way" (to keep or surrender) - it has an obligation to maintain its course and speed. If the give-way vessel doesn't take appropriate action, then by all means the stand-on should - this is laid out clearly in the Rules. Giving way, when you are the stand-on vessel, makes you unpredictable. The Rules work best if everyone follows them.

Dan - last time I checked Rule 18, sailing vessels were required to keep out of the way of fishing vessels.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 17:32   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Yes - He wasn't fishing. He was hunting widdle white wabbits like me......
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38   #18

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
ok. Guess I was confused by your description of the vessel as a "fishing trawler."
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26   #19

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Personally, I usually take the stern of a sailboat, engine on or not if it is going to be close. This is just out of common sense so as not to scare the people in the sailboat and so that my actions are "early and apparent" so that they understand what my intentions are. I do this even if the sailboat is under power and is the give way vessel to port in a crossing situation.
I sure wish you worked here on the Chesapeake.

Interestingly enough, I have found that at least here on the Bay, that commercial shipping just keeps right on going as they wish unless you call them on the VHF. Without exception, I have had a polite discussion with commercial traffic about who is going where and very often the traffic changed course to make my life easier.

Respectful communication seems to make a huge difference.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 16:19   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't know why more yachties don't get on the VHF to speak with commercial vessels when things are questionable. Don't be shy..nobody is going to yell at you. Try Channel 13 first then 09. If neither of those work then 16.

U.S. VHF Channels - USCG Navigation Center
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 17:36   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I believe before radios there were horns/whistles signals. Most sailboats usually run without their radios on, at least in my area. Probably due to the power consumption. But I have the tendancy to use horn signals just because it is good practice. The bridges here sure know what their for.
It's funny though, I've seen people scrambling for some kind of book when horns are used. They don't know which way to go
Old 11-10-2007, 20:52   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I believe before radios there were horns/whistles signals. Most sailboats usually run without their radios on, at least in my area. Probably due to the power consumption. But I have the tendancy to use horn signals just because it is good practice. The bridges here sure know what their for.
It's funny though, I've seen people scrambling for some kind of book when horns are used. They don't know which way to go
The point I am trying to make is for a yachtsman to get on the radio is a very reliable way of finding out from commercial traffic what they are going to do and therefore is a good way of agreeing with the commercial vessel on how to avoid a collision. Of course most yachtsmen are not standing a radio watch but most all commercial boats are standing a radio watch.... at least they are supposed to be by law and in my experience the vast majority of them are monitoring the VHF.

I tend to call bridges on Ch 9...it's better in the sense that the bridge tender can give you whatever information he has such as if there is going to be a delay. You can also thank him which is nice...and the same goes for thanking commercial boats who make adjustments to avoid you.

The noise level in many commercial boats is not always conducive to hearing an electric whistle or air whistle, especially one of those hand held air horns typically used by sailboats. Also, radio has a far greater range than a whistle...which of course means passing arrangements can be made much sooner. Talking to someone on the radio is also a nice confirmation versus blowing the whistle and waiting for a confirmation whistle.

Between commercial boats most all passing agreements are done by radio or by taking very early and apparent action. Whistle signals are usually more a formality if used at all ...and quite frequently not used at all. At night light signals can be used the same way whistle signals are used.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote