Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 07:26   #91
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: You are setting your anchors badly and then blaming the anchors

My god guys.... your anchoring not docking at the Space station )
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:29   #92
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have never blamed any of my Bruce's... for anything..
Lol
Is that what you call a "controlled drag" boatie?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:37   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have a chain stop right at the roller for backing down.

Always belay the chain!! Your snubbers (don't know about you cat guys' bridles) are by design much less strong than the main rode. If you don't belay your chain, then the strength of your whole anchoring system will be reduced to the strength of your snubber, which is not designed to be strong!! Also, don't back down on the anchor with just the windlass holding it -- bad for the windlass.

[/QUOTE] The bridle then goes on straight away - no waiting until cocktail hour (unless cocktail hour happens to be immediately after setting the anchor) [/QUOTE]

I think you have it round backwards Cocktail hour automatically follows anchor setting. At least on my boat
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 08:08   #94

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
We back down before attaching the bridle for the simple reason that if we don't like the set or placing, it is less work to start again. We have a chain stop right at the roller for backing down.

The bridle then goes on straight away - no waiting until cocktail hour (unless cocktail hour happens to be immediately after setting the anchor)

Mark
My thinking was that if I let out the full rode, attach the bridle, and spend some time walking around the boat, looking for landmarks, and resting up my old tired bones to the tune of maybe ten minutes the boat has kinda settled down in relation to which direction the pull on the anchor will be.

Once I have a good feel for the direction of the forces pulling on the anchor (and the direction of the forces sometimes changes when the bridle is put on) I think it is time for me to finally back down.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 08:23   #95

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you don't belay your chain, then the strength of your whole anchoring system will be reduced to the strength of your snubber, which is not designed to be strong!!
I guess my idea of a bridle/snubber is different than yours. If there was even the remotest possibility that it would break as the result of backing down with the full force of both our engines, I would change it out for something stronger.

I estimate the full force we could apply to it backing down as around the same as 25kt winds. The bridle is two 25' lengths of 5/8" octoplait -that's a breaking strength over 15,000lbs!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 08:30   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
I guess my idea of a bridle/snubber is different than yours. If there was even the remotest possibility that it would break as the result of backing down with the full force of both our engines, I would change it out for something stronger.

I estimate the full force we could apply to it backing down as around the same as 25kt winds. The bridle is two 25' lengths of 5/8" octoplait -that's a breaking strength over 15,000lbs!

Mark
I didn't say that it's because I was worried about breaking it.

It is stretchy (by design!), and will incur needless wear and work-hardening if you specially abuse it this way.

But I also said that if you have some special reason for having the bridle on, then my remarks don't apply. Also it sounds like your snubber is much stronger as a proportion of your displacement than mine, so that's another factor. My snubber if 16mm -- about the same as yours, and mine is a single line, not a bridle. For a 25 ton boat, which must be twice or triple your displacement. So four to six times the stress on the snubber. So our circumstances are pretty different, and would be a typical cat-mono difference.
Old 27-06-2014, 08:37   #97

Quote:
It is stretchy (by design!), and will incur needless wear and work-hardening if you specially abuse it this way.
The stretchiness probably does not help in transferring setting loads to the anchor, but I disagree that setting with it on incurs any practical extra wear.

It works for days/weeks at time with the wind blowing and the boat moving around. That extra 10 minutes it would be spared during setting once every few days/weeks is meaningless.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 27-06-2014, 08:39   #98
CLOD

Boat: none

I always put the snubber on before I back down on my anchor. If I ever break that 3/4" nylon line with my engine I would be glad to know before the need to be counting on it.

If for some reason I don't like the set and need to move the extra 15 seconds of time needed to take the snubber off isn't a big deal to me.

See, just another reason why everyone else anchors wrong if they don't do it the same as you.
Old 27-06-2014, 08:42   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

If for some reason I don't like the set and need to move the extra 15 seconds of time needed to take the snubber off isn't a big deal to me.
Yes, that is one difference between a multihull using two long bridle legs and a mono using a short snub line. It can be more of a hassle on a multi - particularly some of them.

Mark

Old 27-06-2014, 08:43   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The stretchiness probably does not help in transferring setting loads to the anchor, but I disagree that setting with it on incurs any practical extra wear.

It works for days/weeks at time with the wind blowing and the boat moving around. That extra 10 minutes it would be spared during setting once every few days/weeks is meaningless.

Mark
Maybe. I think it also depends on your boat. 100 horsepower pulling on a 16mm single line is maybe not a negligible about of wear. It really stretches a lot and jerks around. 40 horsepower (or however much you have) pulling on two of them is a different ballgame.

But in any case, that's not the only reason. I do my setting with less than final scope, so it would be stupid for me to put my snubber on, just to take it off again after the anchor is set and I adjust my scope.

And as Noelex said above -- putting on the snubber early also risks extra work of taking it back off again if you become unsatisfied with set or position and pull the anchor back up.

But any way, it's kind of a silly thing to debate. Everyone should of course do it the way he feels most comfortable with.
Old 27-06-2014, 09:04   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I did a video a while ago showing my setting procedure. It is not quite as brutal as Dockheads I stop after about 30seconds in full reverse. This is a still from the video showing the snubber (I used a nice new one for the video ) stretched out. You can see the wake from the prop wash extending out of the front of the boat. Not much catenary evident even with just the engine power.

I don't think it is important if use a snubber, or not, as long as the load is taken off the
windlass.

(I will try and post the video when I get some decent internet)

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:10   #102

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Yes, that is one difference between a multihull using two long bridle legs and a mono using a short snub line. It can be more of a hassle on a multi - particularly some of them.

Mark
One reason I spend more time than some looking for a nice white sand bottom hole in 10-12 feet of water to anchor.

I have a bowsprit that folds up so there are lines under it along with the cables between the hulls which means my bridle lines are probably not as long as yours.

But my bridle is composed of one rope with a grab hook in the middle. The bitter ends are whipped but not eye spliced since I sometimes adjust the length of one to change the angle of the waves/wind hitting the bows. Under normal conditions it takes seconds to unhook the grab hook, much less time than to pull up the chain and anchor, locate a new spot to anchor, and go through the reanchoring process.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 10:30   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
But my bridle is composed of one rope with a grab hook in the middle.
Most are. I made ours independent with a hook on each leg. I like the redundancy and still staying snubbed if one hook falls off.

Mark

Old 01-07-2014, 15:51   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have posted a video of how I set my anchor here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ue-128807.html

Some are more brutal, some are more gentle. There are all sorts of variations, but for what it is worth the video shows what I do.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 17:48   #105

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Ah, I see. We don't use that abbreviation. Around here it's either "The Channel", or "La Manche, you ignorant Rostbiff!", depending on what side of it you come from!

P.S., that last is a joke, playing only to our own anglospheric prejudices -- the French sailors are exceptionally friendly.
Aye,
When they are not running out an 18 pounder

cheers,
JJT
jolly jack tar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor