Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2017, 18:32   #31

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386
Re: Would YOU buy this boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Can't really say much at all without knowing a lot more. The type of boat, the price, it's location, and general condition other than the items cited in the survey based on visual inspection and poking around the boat.

The items listed point to a certain amount of extended neglect; holes in the deck/coachroof that have not been attended to, loose bow cleats, propane odor, dirty filter, etc. A survey can't turn up everything wrong with a boat as the surveyor only had limited time and there are areas of the boat they can't get to. In general, where there is smoke there is fire. I expect if you bought this boat the list of deferred maintenance items would grow longer as you used the boat and discovered more issues.

It's tempting when you find an old boat at a great price to overlook the problems you discover and say to yourself "Oh I could fix that...and that...and that." Before you know it addressing all those issues will negate that great price, and more. New standing rigging and thru-hulls alone, which are critical systems and clearly need to be replaced, could run you up near $10k depending on the boat.

I tell novices to look at lots of boats. Lots and lots, like 30+, during their shopping journey and bring along an experienced eye whenever possible. It will start to give you context about condition, price, cost of repair, etc. and develop some perspective on the overall market. Then, when you come across a boat in good condition at a good price you'll have some confidence to move forward with a purchase.

If you could tell us more about the boat, your needs and objectives, and your level of experience that would be helpful towards us giving you more specific advice.

We lost our 1981 Gulfstar Sailmaster 39 to Irma while on stands (well...falling off of them) in St. Augustine after owning her for one week. We were insured (Thank you BoatUS!). The plan was to take her to our home north of Tampa to learn to sail across the gulf and gradually head off to the Caribbean and beyond. The Morgans look like good layouts at a comparable price point. We are avid sailors in Colorado, previously motored/sailed a 1968 Dufour Arpege from Annapolis to Tampa, and learn every time we are on the water. Sound reasonable?
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 18:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i would need to see first pix then in person to assess the reality of the situation. some boats are worthy of repairs some are best walked away from. words mean nothing without pix of each situation and hull and topsides condition

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0411.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	159942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	159943Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0430.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	159944Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0428.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	159945Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_0214.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	159946

Do these pics help?
Old 29-11-2017, 19:11   #33

Boat: Westsail 32

Would I buy this boat?

Needs justa littlebitofwork....

If you have to ask, you'll be working on it five years from now.

Nah, I wouldn't buy this boat.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:03   #34

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Finding 4 and finding 5 would be enough to make me walk away from any boat, regardless of age. There are plenty of 30 year old boats out there without moisture intrusion and delamination. As others have said, the rest sounds pretty much like nickel and dime, weekend repair stuff.
Sage advice...I've been actively looking for two years and second the notion that there are too many fish in the sea that don't have elevated moisture readings and delamination to consider a boat that does...
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:22   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Would YOU buy this boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
If you can't work on it yourself, don't even consider a boat over 10 years old. Maybe even 5 years old, unless of course you have money to burn.

I can do the work myself, but did NOT want a project Boat.
So I bought a very well kept immaculate boat less than five years old, and paid top dollar too. During Survey we discovered it had wet decks and an oil canning hull. In other words it needed major structural repairs.
So I later bought a 27 yr old Boat that needed no structural repairs.
Age is a determiner, but not necessarily all that much of one actually as I found out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 13:08   #36

Unless money is no object - the questions really is - do I want a relatively recent and still mostly intact Kia or Hyundai or do I want a 35-40 year old Mercedes or Lincoln which needs lots of work and what have you. Once you answer the question to yourself your path toward boat purchase would be much clearer.

Personally I'm in the "old MB" camp as the recent "kias" will age less gracefully and in few years will be way behind any "old MB" in terms of longevity of its component parts, hull integrity, and what not.

PS Not sure if it will ever make sense to buy and restore 20-30 year old "kias".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 15:12   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont see anything that would necessarily scare me away. Any old boat is likely to have a lot of those same issues. I havent seen one yet that didnt show some areas of moisture in a cored deck.
How much of a DIY'er are you? If not, any old boat may not be good for you.
-My main "walk away" issue would be if it has a cored hull with the notes you provided. ( I dont think the Morgan's had a cored hull did they?)
-The rocker cover leak is nothing. Any tiny seep looks bad on those. It may even just need tightening.
-One way to do this deal would be to specify that the owner have certain "unevaluated" things fixed before closing. I would do that with the injector pump leak. That put's it in his hands.
-stuffing boxes all drip, that stuff is TBD.
-I worry more about things like tanks, sails, blisters etc which are bigger $ yet.
-Other things you might try just discounting on.

I wouldn’t buy it. But I don’t know how that helps you or you wouldn’t ask.
Old 30-11-2017, 15:23   #38

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
It looks pretty clean to me. Get a professional opinion on hull and deck restoration, if reasonable, subtract from first offer. A number of things previously listed on survey are not deal breakers. I like what I see in the pictures.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 16:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Unless money is no object - the questions really is - do I want a relatively recent and still mostly intact Kia or Hyundai or do I want a 35-40 year old Mercedes or Lincoln which needs lots of work and what have you. Once you answer the question to yourself your path toward boat purchase would be much clearer.

Personally I'm in the "old MB" camp as the recent "kias" will age less gracefully and in few years will be way behind any "old MB" in terms of longevity of its component parts, hull integrity, and what not.

PS Not sure if it will ever make sense to buy and restore 20-30 year old "kias".

I assume the inference is that a Morgan is the Mercedes, yes?
Old 30-11-2017, 16:20   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wouldn’t buy it. But I don’t know how that helps you or you wouldn’t ask.

I guess I should have finished the title with, “...if you were in my position?” TY.
Old 30-11-2017, 17:08   #41

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Maintenance and repairs aside, the newer boats will out sail the older boats for the most part. That alone makes the old boats much less desirable.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 18:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
I guess I should have finished the title with, “...if you were in my position?” TY.
With new sails, maybe. The deferred maintenance issues lead me to conclude they are nearly ready for the dumpster.

The clean countertops and sole are nice. I'd want to see the interior of the hull / deck joint, bottoms of the bulkheads, past engine oil analysis(doubtful). Throw pillows ? Let's see the bare mattress.

Stuff like that. No matter, the best of luck to you and yours.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 18:24   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Maintenance and repairs aside, the newer boats will out sail the older boats for the most part. That alone makes the old boats much less desirable.
Speed is not everything. Older boats often are more gently in cutting through the waves; I saw tests were new boats bashed down hard in the same conditions. Not nice for sleep...
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 19:33   #44
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

First, What hambur king said.
Second, note that the responses fall broadly into two categories.
the first category, the positive responses, are from people who would like the idea of doing a massive, major, and extensive project rebuilding a sadly neglected boat. And Have skills to do so. Is that you?
The second category broadly summarized is people who also state the obvious, that this boat shows a lot of neglect, - and where there's smoke there's fire.
Do you want to work on a boat or do you want to sail a boat?
Are you a boat surveyor, fiberglass technician or diesel mechanic, sailmaker or Marine Electronics Tech? If not some combination of the above, you're far better off buying a boat that is in good to excellent shape. There are a great many available.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 20:05   #45

I can’t tell from the info given. What kind of boat ? Design, rigging, material. Know this: no insurance company will insure a thirty year old boat.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat