Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 22:24   #1

Wireless windlass remote control

I want to be able to control the windlass from the cockpit of a 45' sailboat. I think the best solution would be a wireless remote because it would allow me to move forward for final adjustment without having to switch to another control.

Also, I think that a wireless remote would be easier to install because I don't have to run wires the length of the boat.

I would like any information you might give about choosing a remote control. While it would be nice to have a chain counter too, it is by far not necessary.

What do you think? Any suggestions.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 22:42   #2

Boat: 68 tartan 34c
Re: Wireless windlass remote control

I wired up a Harbor Freight wireless winch control. Hard wire to the cockpit is planned.
Attached Files
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:07   #3

Boat: Dufour 310

I have installed one of the cheapies on ebay and works fine. It is fantastic being wireless. Cost $12

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:07   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

When I installed our Maxwell Vertical Windlass in late 2006, I elected a wired hand held controller over foot switches. I also added a "Quick" wireless controller that I can control the windlass with from anywhere on the boat. Since then, while I always plug the wired controller in, I have virtually never used it. I have the Quick wireless on a lanyard I clip onto my belt and use that to deploy and recover our ground tackle.

Take a look at (click on) "RRC Wireless Handheld Remote". The receiver fro ours is installed in the forward cabin, below the berth, close to the control box for our windlass.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:00   #5
cruiser

I bought one very similar to this one, got it eBay. Do some more searching ("12V Winch Remote"), you can find 'em even cheaper than my example. I think mine came with two or three units so I figured if one didn't work then I'd have a couple more. It's been working fine with my Quick system running a Lofrans Tigres windlass, it's been at least a year

12V Winch Wireless Remote Control Kit for Truck Jeep ATV Warn Ramsey | eBay
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

I bought the same as AD28, got 2 remotes, cannot beat the price.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 14:03   #7

Boat: fusion 40 cat/ jeaneau 45.2 sun oddessy

i have both wireless and hard wire controller, on our cat. The counter is a great and saves a lot of guess work. But the wireless has has some issues so with the wireless located beside the anchor locker it is a good backup and has come thru when the wireless was having communication problems. Also the wireless goes off line fairly quickly to save internal power so you have to keep in use so it doesn't shut down.
bmax242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 21:38   #8

Everyone,

Thank you for your speedy and useful comments. I had seen the Harbor Freight unit and was wondering if it might work. I guess so. I might also go with the more expensive Quick RRC simply because it is "marine grade" though that might not be critical if I'm careful.

Again thanks. This forum is fantastic.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:30   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibkind View Post
Everyone,

Thank you for your speedy and useful comments. I had seen the Harbor Freight unit and was wondering if it might work. I guess so. I might also go with the more expensive Quick RRC simply because it is "marine grade" though that might not be critical if I'm careful.

Again thanks. This forum is fantastic.

Marcus
Marcus--If it can get wet, it will get wet. Ours always works, rain or shine, and has for 10 Years.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:40   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I bought this one and it has been great
https://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Remote...remote+control
There is for some reason a very slight delay, making just bumping the windlass a little a little more difficult.
I did not install the foot switches, but did install a switch in the cockpit, it is a very simple switch, even a garage door opener would work I'm sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 07:22   #11

Hi, thanks for the information on your wireless winch remote. How does the wiring go ?
Number of wires on the harbor freight item and their connections to what wires of the winch. I have a Quick anchor winch.

Thank You
Fast Tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 08:53   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Guys, I honestly don't know why you would wish to remote control the most powerful piece of deck equipment without being on the bow to make sure some obstruction does not destroy your foredeck

Those who want to blindly raise the anchor from the cockpit are just asking for trouble.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 10:28   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Guys, I honestly don't know why you would wish to remote control the most powerful piece of deck equipment without being on the bow to make sure some obstruction does not destroy your foredeck

Those who want to blindly raise the anchor from the cockpit are just asking for trouble.
It's really handy having the option.
When dropping the hook let it hang first so you know it's free well before dropping without having to go to the bow. Raising I'm usually at the bow anyway but solo if it's blustery then it's easy to get most up from the cockpit watching the chain vibrate so you know there's very little tension on the chain.
More options are good, especially single handed.

Maybe worth giving it a go before making your mind up.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 10:52   #14

Boat: Newport 30

I also use a jeep winch remote from ebay.
Works great!
Old 18-02-2017, 10:54   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I too bought a wireless remote on Amazon. As I recall there are five wires, one of which is the antenna. Assuming you can get to the windlass relay without taking the boat apart , it takes just a few minutes.to install. It is fairly easy to reverse the polarity so check to see if the remote and the windlass agree on which way is up.

I too wanted the chain counter but the Maxwell price was so obscene and since I've lived without it since Noah loaded up the ark, it was easy to pass.

As an aside, I happen to agree with Pelagic. No way I'm going to be slinging a 45 # anchor and a couple hundred feet of chain from the cockpit. Up or down I'm going to be on the bow.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, wind, windlass