Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 18:27   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: underwater anchor cam with wifi

The cheapest alternative to diving the anchor would be to lower a generic gopro while it is recording, then pull it back up and view the video in playback on the surface.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 18:33   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I can imagine the call to the local police station.

"I want you to find the person who made off with my wifi enabled anchor watch camera system."

Cop's response: "Let us have some of that which you are smoking."

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 21:40   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Or maybe a fish camera?
Old 09-09-2019, 22:30   #19

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

A float for the wifi would be very short lived unless incorporated into an anchor ball system, in which case maybe, but it would a) be a tremendous hassle unless you always always anchor at the same depth (since the wiring for the camera would have to be separated from the buoy otherwise the first time you use the anchor ball in anger it'll most likely snap the wire); and b) you'd become one of those inconsiderates who use an anchor ball all the time
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 22:36   #20

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ter_drone.html
2fast2nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 22:59   #21

The above is available with a 100m (330ft) tether. Look at Dangar Marine on Youtube to see it in action. There is an Amazon link on his website.
Asmolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:37   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
A float for the wifi would be very short lived unless incorporated into an anchor ball system, in which case maybe, but it would a) be a tremendous hassle unless you always always anchor at the same depth (since the wiring for the camera would have to be separated from the buoy otherwise the first time you use the anchor ball in anger it'll most likely snap the wire); and b) you'd become one of those inconsiderates who use an anchor ball all the time
All true. I started writing the same opinion about anchor balls, but decided not to go there (thread drift.) But since you started it...

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:44   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Why not just let a Go Pro down the anchor rode, after putting it on "Record"? Let it down until it touches the bottom, then haul it up. Then just watch the video.

I would think that should work just fine -- no need for any live view via wifi.

Edit: Oops, I see Jammer posted exactly the same idea.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:49   #24

Boat: Pearson 530

Get an electrician’s snake with camera or check with your proctologist.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:52   #25

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
And I thought air conditioning on a boat was frivolous.

Love it

Here in my Cruising world the water is so dark, peaty, bloody cold that to dive on the anchor would be risking my life
I have never dragged , nor fouled , nor had any issues
I think this is becasue, and correct me if Im wrong ? I anchor the way your meant to
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I would recommend purchasing a mermaid. The initial cost can be quite reasonable, but unfortunately the running cost can be high on occasions. Frequent servicing is mandatory.

Here is my mermaid swimming down to photograph another boat’s anchor:

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:37   #27

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

How about a trained Dolphin? Have it knock your hull if you start to drag and throw is a mackerel.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I would recommend purchasing a mermaid. The initial cost can be quite reasonable, but unfortunately the running cost can be high on occasions. Frequent servicing is mandatory.

Is that the rare and elusive two fin mermaid?

I've heard of such, but have never seen one.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:11   #29

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Can you share a link to where to purchase such a mermaid? I think there is probably quite a large market for such.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:13   #30

Hmmm, interesting subject and technology evaluation. Okay, I will admit that I am a bit confused and inquisitive as to why one would desire to dive down to view the anchor?

If it is holding properly as tested by backing hard against the rode for a couple of minutes of pulling, what then is the motivation to have a look at it? What is gained by a visual inspection that isn't provided by a purely mechanical load testing of its holding power? There being bottoms onto which an anchor will set properly but not have significant holding power because of the nature of the substrate. It might look like it is set deeply but deeply into a bottom with minimal holding capacities.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I just don't recognize what a looksee will accomplish.

What does one do if anchoring at night, or in unclear water where vision would be obscured, or conditions where diving is not in the cards, e.g., during harsh weather or significant waves / swell, or strong current running, when diving would be dangerous and also when the anchor is least likely to hold, [or when there is really cold water]? Seemingly, if conditions are good for diving then the conditions are not likely to be adverse as to causing an anchor to drag.

A drone of some sort seems like a viable means to scan the bottom if the water is clear and there is adequate light at depth, where it would provide knowledge of obstructions that may interfere or foul the rode when say a boat swings, e.g., rocks, logs, corral heads, sunken debris, I generally have more concern about what the chain may entangle with than whether my anchor has set after I have given it a good load testing to gain confidence that it is set and holding considerable force. Albeit there is always that nagging doubt that it might upset when the boat swings and the anchor has to rotate / reset sufficiently to regain holding, but then that is why one sets a GPS anchor alarm and / or a visual anchor watch keeping. The drone likely also providing some interesting and entertaining views of sea life.

It seems that with each swing of the boat one would also have the same motivation to dive to visually inspect that the anchor has reset itself properly, but that is also easy to prove by just backing hard on the rode yet again to become certain of its reset holding power,; that is something I like to do when the tide or wind shifts before retiring for the night.

Best regards.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, water, wifi