Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 13:45   #76

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
If you want to ensure nobody anchors to close, and I do mean nobody, then get yourself the following gear:

Brightly colored innertubes
Small tricycle, preferably pink with tassles
Good assortment of bathing suits, sized 2T-5T
Child sized life jackets, the more the merrier
LOL! I guess that we have nothing to worry about as far as anyone anchoring too close to us with our five kids aboard.
I can see it now as first one of the kids pops up from the companionway - then another and another as the approaching boat starts to veer away and retreat.....

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 13:47   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
A 300lb. guy in a speedo does it for me.
Old 01-05-2009, 15:16   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
To label people who don't agree with your point of view as "fanatics" is, I think most would agree, a little much. It would be akin to labelling someone who espouses their point of view as the only correct solution as an "arrogant prick". Wouldn't you agree?
No, I don't agree at all.

Shorter Oxford Dictionary, Fanatic, noun, ..."a person filled with excessive and mistaken enthusiasm".

There is no insult in that. In the end we all have excessive and mistaken enthusiasm for some things and to have such is not a fault nor is it an insult to be told so. However, we are not all "arrogant pricks" and the use of that phase is an insult.

There seem to be many here who wish to read anything that someone of an opposing view states as being an insult. I take it from your response that is what promoted your considering of my use of the word "fanatical" an insult .

On a better note - some interesting observations by others, in particular the idea of on fouled ground running the trip line up the cable (ex Speedoo), which is the method I use on the very rare occasion I anchor on foul ground, and that at least one other understands how easy it is to retrieve ones anchor from under anothers boat (and it can be done quite easily single handed).

Am now departing fanatically .... ooops, apologies Hud3 forbidden word use, so correction.... Am now departing with excessive and mistaken enthusiasm for a pleasant weekend - is that better ?
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 15:39   #79
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
However, we are not all "arrogant pricks" and the use of that phase is an insult.
Erect and flaccid are the only two "phases" I can think of . . . that being the case, which phase is "arrogant?"

TaoJones
Old 01-05-2009, 15:52   #80

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
snipped

An issue that is more of a frustration rather than a hazard is the motor yacht with a high flybridge laying right beside us or on our stern & having the occupants staring down into our cockpit. That’s too close for our preference!
If that happened to me, I would probably get out the binoculars and stare back.

Then again, there are plenty of ideas in the "Sailing Naked" thread...

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 17:44   #81

Who covers damages?

Out of curiosity, what happens if someone anchors too close to you and somehow damage your boat? Do they generally cover the cost of the repairs?
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 17:45   #82

AS for the guys who drop anchor and end up only 10 feet or so away from you and then tell you to move if your not comfortable with it....

I have a 20lb sledge hammer on a 2.5 foot shaft. It comes in handy from time to time. I simply show the hammer and explain calmly to the offending boat that this is my tool for fending off.

Also... bio-degradable water balloons and red dye #5. If your in range..... your TOO CLOSE. But I am a nice guy, I will leave it up to you to make that call.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 18:51   #83

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I have a cheap Chinese fiddle that I love to play late at night. People do anchor too close to me, but never 2 nights in a row.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:17   #84
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I have a cheap Chinese fiddle that I love to play late at night. People do anchor too close to me, but never 2 nights in a row.
I always keep an old car tyre onboard as an emergency fender - advantage of having an older boat - it looks appropriate

The anchoring "rules" do seem to vary, both from place to place and between people. Yer have the ideal world. and then you have how things are. Overnight or unattended somewhere is more conservative than day visiting on anchor in a sunny bay - where the "rules" can be: more the merrier and involve keeping an eye out / fingers crossed / fenders handy and being prepared to adjust scope or re-anchor and to expect the possibility that you may be over anchored.

BTW, over here their is sometimes another anchoring issue to factor in. sitting on your (or your neighbours) anchor Plus side is yer get to see how well it set - or to set it / relocate it by hand
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:42   #85
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
I have a 20lb sledge hammer on a 2.5 foot shaft.
I have a three pound sledge on a 15" ash handle, and an eight pound sledge on a 34" fiberglass shaft. The largest sledge I think I've ever seen was a fourteen pound one used in demolition. What in the world is the primary purpose of a twenty pound sledge?

Just asking . . .

TaoJones
Old 08-05-2009, 20:34   #86

Boat: Passport 40
At the start of our cruise 6 months ago we used an anchor float - a small styrofoam ball with a light line. Once, in Beaufort NC, it wrapped around our keel and then over our prop shaft on a no breeze day. We didn't realize until the wind kicked up to 15 and we were dragging and then had to figure out some way to disentangle it from everything to haul our anchor up. A second time a trawler caught it around their rudder in Charleston. They dragged us and our anchor (with 100' of chain out) through the anchorage for close to 1nm before they realized they had caught us and stopped. This was at 11pm at night in the dark. When we couldn't get it off their rudder we cut the line, told them to keep the float, and went back to the anchorage. I guess the 3/16" line was still too big to break even when hauling a 25kg anchor, 100 feet of chain and a 27,000lb boat. We haven't used a float since. If we find that someone is over our anchor (which hasn't happened yet, even in No Name Harbor on a Saturday night) we'll just wait an extra day to talk to them (if they aren't there) or nudge their boat out of the way. We have a manual windlass so we're not coming up on anyone fast.
s/v/ Pelican - Passport 40 #76, Home Port on Lake Champlain, Currently Cruising
BLOG - https://www.svpelican.com
Labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02   #87

Boat: 49 ft. alu, centerboard, one off Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer
Suggestion: Why don't we start a new anchoring routine: when anchoring set a combination of e.g. 2 flags to indicate the scope of rode out. It seems this would educate everyone in an anchorage and create a better knowledge for newcomers when setting their anchors...all in all create a mutual communication throughout the anchorage..
jens_elsborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_elsborg View Post
Suggestion: Why don't we start a new anchoring routine: when anchoring set a combination of e.g. 2 flags to indicate the scope of rode out. It seems this would educate everyone in an anchorage and create a better knowledge for newcomers when setting their anchors...all in all create a mutual communication throughout the anchorage..
I think this is a very interesting idea. Putting it into practice would be a challenge, but there would certainly be benefits.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:13   #89
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have to agree it is interesting, but it would take an eternity to catch on. Maybe my grandchildren could use it?..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 18:34   #90
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
When anchoring in st pete fl in vinoy basin you're assured drama during you're stay. During our last visit in one night one boat dragged across 3 other anchors and they all ended up against the seawall. Near the floating church a unattended sailboat dragged into a nice cat and did considerable damage and required towboat us divers to come out and untangle the rode off his prop. In yet another corner someone dragged into the rental boats did damage, then moved out without saing anything. I anchor in the ne corner when there, its the bumpiest spot there but there's noone to drag into me when a cold front comes through.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring