Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2009, 05:52   #106

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
As I recall, John Henry had a 30-pound hammer ("I'm swinging 30 pounds from my hips on down."

But that hammer was the death of him, Lord, Lord.

Connemara
I'm gonna be the first to leave this quote alone, but it was very, very hard, Oh Lord, oh Lord...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 12:58   #107

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Been out of INTERNET coverage for a bit, but just want to also vote No on the anchor buoy markers. Just another problem as few people actually know how to set a line so it actually shows where the anchor is. Ideally, the "scope" on the market is near 1:1 and that is just not realistic in most anchoring locations I deal with as they vary extremely in depth over a small area. These steep fall offs result in people keeping a fixed market length resulting in a market being significantly out of location or actually under the water doing no good at all and contributing to potential problems for all boats including the one who "marked" their anchor. I do know of one boater who ran over the market line and fouled their prop while pulling up the anchor... not a great thing to happen in any anchorage but in a windy one or one with strong currents it spells a major problem.
Old 12-09-2018, 20:48   #108

Boat: 1975 Ta Chaio CT41
Re: Too Close! WAY TOO CLOSE! Anchoring Near Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Wow, I seem to have got all the "This buoy marks my anchor's spot" fanatics foaming at the mouth .

The fact is many manage without buoying their anchor and many (I suspect most of us in the wider world) manage to anchor without needing others to buoy their anchors. In some parts of the world no one ever buoys their anchor to mark its position nor needs others to do so - perhaps they are typically better seamen.

And also some appear to have no depth (sic) of understanding of the issues and so jump to very silly responses, for example -

Nowhere did I say anything about cutting anyone adrift - I said "that you would find yourself either adrift from your anchor...".

If you don't understand that a boat of size picking up your anchor buoy line either by swinging over it or driving over it is likely to unset your anchor then again, I suggest some learning is required.

With regards to the requests for me to teach how to handle an unattended boat that is sitting over ones anchor I'll leave that to others as those requesting that I do so have already dismissed what I have had to say so far. But I am surprised that some do not have the experience to handle such a situation easily and quietly - I, and I suspect most I know, would have thought it a pretty basic boat handling matter. Perhaps such inexperience leads some to believing that activities such as buoying their anchor to mark its spot is a necessity .

At that I'll leave you all to your anchor buoyng but trust that some others have thought less dismissively about what I have said.
This conversation brings to mind the age old question....what is the difference between a porcupine and a yacht flying one of the flags of the British commonwealth?
curtis742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 00:07   #109

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A 300lb. guy in a speedo does it for me.
In the vernacular in their country of origin they are called "budgy smuglers".
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 00:09   #110

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Erect and flaccid are the only two "phases" I can think of . . . that being the case, which phase is "arrogant?"

TaoJones
I think the term pair in this case is "tumescent and flacid" I could be wrong though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 00:10   #111
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Luv these old threads when they get resurrected
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 03:59   #112
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I think the term pair in this case is "tumescent and flacid" I could be wrong though.
In Canada we call them Quebecois.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:37   #113

Boat: Leopard 40

So it’s been over 2 years since someone posted here, so I was just wondering if anyone else has been “Way too close!! “ lately?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 13:34   #114

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
So it’s been over 2 years since someone posted here, so I was just wondering if anyone else has been “Way too close!! “ lately?
And 11 since any real answers.
Old 10-11-2020, 14:14   #115

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Of course, people will still anchor too close to you. Mostly it is not to aggravate you, just that they were not as astute about placing their anchor as they hoped to be.

Sometimes they will move when you ask them to. If not, then one moves, oneself, because it is after all our own responsibility for the welfare of our vessel and crew.

In either event, no real worries, they just want to enjoy being out on the water, too.

Ann
Old 10-11-2020, 14:27   #116

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

That hands on hip "you're over my anchor" guy sure gets around. I encountered him in '15 off Whitehaven Beach whilst he was self skippered charter boating.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 18:51   #117
CLOD

Boat: none

Darn, turned out I was 10 years behind.
Old 10-11-2020, 20:55   #118

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We put in a boundary alarm on our garmin chartplotter using the furthest point of our track [before we started moving backward] as the center of our swing circle. We make the circle area roughly equivalent to the amount of chain we have out + the boat length + another boat length.

Then using the radar overlay I can see where the other boats are sitting in relation to that circle. Ideally I don't like to see any returns within the circle but if there are we make sure they are at our quarters rather than broadside. It's also useful to make sure the circle doesn't encompass any shallow areas.

If I happen to see the other boat out in the cockpit I'll inquire to see how much chain they have out. I'm often shocked to hear that people are sitting on 8:1 or 10:1 in a crowded anchorage as we almost always use 5:1, maybe 6:1 if we are going to be there a long time.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:14   #119
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Of course, people will still anchor too close to you. Mostly it is not to aggravate you, just that they were not as astute about placing their anchor as they hoped to be.

Sometimes they will move when you ask them to. If not, then one moves, oneself, because it is after all our own responsibility for the welfare of our vessel and crew.

In either event, no real worries, they just want to enjoy being out on the water, too.

Ann

Nice response
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:53   #120

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’ve met two friends totally failing in an anchorage. One picked up my line with his prop, so we met on my bow. He had a funny looking single screw fly bridge. He told me he was a new boater 55 times at least. I’m a scuba diver and had two anchors out so no worries. We rafted chatted with my wife while I carefully saved the line. Got lucky. He was smart enough to have a line cutter and was about to wrap chain when he went neutral.

Frying Pan Bay on Beausolial Island just fits so many boats. New boater warning I noticed a boat drifting bye the port cabin window. Ran up I grabbed a boat about to brush us. I dropped fender tied the boat and found the owners taking a nap. Their anchor had come off the chain and they drifted over for scuba help. Because Georgian Bay was kicking the visibility in the bay so his took awhile to find.

During the Eastern Seaboard Blackout 2003 we were in Georgian Bay in a 330 SeaRay with full tanks full food full booze. We had a generator and we bought the last Ice from the Ranger at Cedar Springs. Pitch black Georgian bay anchored boats crew came to the beach. We bought out a stack of wood and had a 30 boat party pot luck. We could see a similar beach fire south near Midland. The stars were worth the price of admission. We love travelling and rafting with other boats.

The seadoos which zip anchorage’s tick me off.
I think I’ve pissed someone off just about every way possible boating. My toy boat is noisy, my stereos astounding, an fast runabout tried to pass my in a dangerous channel called the bowling alley. I had modified 502 hawks so I left him in a hole.
Just having good slips and good boats gives miserable people reason enough.
Sorry Australia sounds stressed. I’ve spent several month there love you folks.
I wandered into Southampton Yacht Club in surfers paradise. Mustang boats had a display on and the Salesrep insisted I take the 400 out.
I was in Sydney at the holiday inn roof watching the boats heading for Hobart December 28, 1998. I still have all the news papers. Stand Aside just hanging on by a drouge and raft. Amazing Christmas down under.
Come visit you can raft with us
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring