Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13   #61
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
I have purchased the 35K Stainless Ultra from Quickline along with the 200ft stainless reel to use as a trip line just in case...

The lady is currently in storage for the winter so I cannot try it out yet but I will let you know in the spring.

Slight modifications had to be made to adapt it to the chute but all is well.

Thanks again for all your input.
Sorry just saw your thread.. I have the same issue on Stargazer with a captive bow roller and Rocna has this solution

Image:Selene-59-bow-roller-concept.pdf (Rocna Knowledge Base)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 15:56   #62

Boat: Jeantot Euphorie 40
Stainless Steel Ultra Anchor vs Galvanized Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Some of what I read in their response is BS. The Delta Anchor has a high center of gravity and is designed to lay to its side before it catches on the sea floor and begin to penetrate. BS, I have snorkled and watched from deck a Delta many many times in clear water, they almost universally orient themselves on the bottom in the correct position not on their side, in fact the low center of gravity is their claim to fame vs the CQR! I really dont get their "engineered for SS" comment either. Steel and SS are roughly the same strength and either can be made a lot stronger depending on how the fabrication is done. Frankly, who worries about the strength of the material if there was much difference? Are you worried about your anchor breaking form the force of the sand?? However I have heard good things about the Ultra. The Delta is a great anchor, but will pull out if the there is a major strong wind shift. Never had a Delta drag even with a high windage Catamaran and a Delta that was not oversized. Did have it pull out when winds shifted though. I'm not knocking the Ultra here but disagree with some of their comments...
Hello, Notice: I am with Quickline USA, the Americas importer/distributor of Ultra Anchors, so I have a commercial interest in your discussion of Ultra Anchors. I authored the original write up copied. I am responding to the above quote. The Delta is a good anchor, I had one for many years on my 40 foot catamaran also, but was extremely frustrated with shifting winds, the Delta would come out and reset and a Bruce would walk. Hence I became involved with the Ultra Anchor.

What I am referring to by "engineered for SS" refers to the galvanizing process not strength of the material. To galvanize a mild steel anchor it must be dipped in molten zinc. Two of the Ultra Anchor’s key features that cause it to set so quickly and stay set are the sealed hollow shank and the totally encapsulated lead filled base. If made from mild steel when dipped in molten zinc the lead would melt and the air in the hollow shank expand, cracking the welds. This is why voids and lead are not incorporated into less expensive galvanized anchors. Strength of the material mentioned in the comments has nothing to do with the reason we use 316L Stainless Steel to build Ultra anchors.

When a Delta lands in the correct orientation toward the direction of pull everything works great as commented. If you pull a Delta anchor from the side it will fall over, if buried it lays over as the anchor rotates to the direction of pull. The fluke on the lower-side of the Delta, in this laid over position during the rotation, tends to push the anchor up out of the sea floor until the direction of pull is straight again at which time the Delta will dig in . This is what causes Delta Anchors to sometimes have problems on wind shifts or different directions of pull.

I see since the original post there have been additional comments, I will be glad to address any questions. Sorry if people feel this is marketing "hype" as stated in some posts. There are several reviews in the European press and Practical Sailor. The best way to find out how good an Ultra Anchor is, is to buy an Ultra Anchor and try it. If you are truly disappointed in the performance of an Ultra Anchor we will refund your money on return of the Ultra Anchor within 90 days(time extension during winter lay up period).

Randy Boelsems - Quickline USA
Old 13-06-2010, 17:21   #63

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickline USA View Post
If you are truly disappointed in the performance of an Ultra Anchor we will refund your money on return of the Ultra Anchor within 90 days(time extension during winter lay up period).

Randy Boelsems - Quickline USA
I have to admit that when I as trying to make a decision on this anchor, Randy's warranty (in writing) to take it back up to 90 days after I put my boat in the water is what did it for me. I felt if he was that confident in his product it should fill all his claims. That, combined with GMAC's testing were the main deciding factors.

For me it does exactly what they claimed it would do. The only way I am returning this anchor is if it breaks which I seriouslly doubt.

Thanks again Randy!
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:22   #64

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
While they may not be imitations of the Spade, they certainly are variants of it. The Spade is a very good anchor and equal to either of the other two. Looking at the website, it is priced higher than the Rocna (65% more) and the Ultra (30% more, comparing SS to SS models), which makes either of the competition a better bang for buck.

However, if the Rocna doesn't fit your anchor storage situation, or you want an anchor that can disassemble for storage, or you want a lightweight aluminum anchor I highly recommend the Spade (We have an aluminum version as a second anchor).

Seatechandfun, I assume you are applying for vendor status as your posting is less technical and more toward sending people to your business website.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:32   #65

I replaced a 45lb danforth with a 44lb mason after the danforth dragged on me on last years icw trip several times leaving me in the weeds one morning. One question and one observation The mason has a rock slot so I thought I use that full time what could it hurt? Well is seems that was not a good idea as I had it drag on me on a tide shift. So is the rock slot a no go? Secondly I was anchored marathon last winter, waiting for a mooring. the bottom there was heavy grass and the manson was not worth a damm, my home built danford style , about 30lb bit really well, I had a hell of a time pulling it up, the supreme, not so much. Seems there is a place for different style anchors On my trip north to the chesapeake, anchored every night the manson worked well with, no drama
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:37   #66

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
What happened to the Raya anchor? I thought that had a lot of promise and friends who bought it are very pleased. The web site disappeared for a while and now just shows a picture of the anchor with no links to anything.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:41   #67

I am sorry for that post. I will refrain from adding a suggested link to our website.
Spade anchors are a very good anchor and all I wish to do is communicate that to the forum. If folks will do their own research involving Spade anchors or any other type of anchor they will find that the Spade anchor although a bit more costly, is still the far better performing anchor.
We recently were at the Newport International Boat Show and we receive a great response from Spade owers about the exceptional performance of their Spade anchors. We have many testimonials to back up our claims of superior performance.
All I ask is that forum members do the research. Thanks for you testimonial Mark.
seatechandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 18:55   #68

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
deleted--- I didn't notice how old RaySea Lady thread was.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 19:10   #69

Well, time to put the boat away for the winter again.

I must say that after using the Ultra this season and anchoring well over 20 times. It has not let me down once and has grabbed on the first attempt every time. Others may do this as well, but the Ultra fits my bow with almost no modifications.

As for the extra weight comment, My 77lb Ultra is attached to 200 feet of 3/8 chain which weighs 1.5 lbs per foot so I have 377 lbs. of weight when fully deployed in up to 40 feet of water. My windlass is a Maxwell 3500 which handles it well.

What I have also noticed is that in shallow water, 10 feet or so, the anchor starts to grab with only a 3 to 1 rode and it does so in a very noticeable way, the chain tension lets you know real quick...

My only complaint is having to clean it up when I bring it up... I think I need a power washer at the bow...
Old 24-09-2010, 22:24   #70

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Quote:
I want the quickest setting and best holding anchor that will fit my boat without modifications, and, I want to make sure I don't have to change twice.

I am looking for the same thing – I have a good quality plough anchor on the boat, but would still like something a bit faster setting that is useful in a better variety of bottom types if not just for heavier weather. Something like the Rocna or Manson Supreme might be the go? I am thinking the best bet might be to take a template off either and see if they fit? Due the work already done on my bowsprit during a re-fit I really don’t want to have to go making any extreme modifications or butchering.

Anyway, I will go back and read through this thread to see if I can find some answers.
Old 28-09-2010, 12:17   #71

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
I must say that after using the Ultra this season and anchoring well over 20 times. It has not let me down once and has grabbed on the first attempt every time. Others may do this as well, but the Ultra fits my bow with almost no modifications.
Thanks for letting us know, and I'm happy that it is working out so well. You have an expensive anchor, but ground tackle that earns your trust is priceless.
Old 28-09-2010, 20:13   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Glad to see this thread still alive.

We bought a "new to us" boat in March.

44' 22 tons (NOT a typo - steel)

It came with (to my mind) a much too small CQR - 35lb. It is on about 180' of 3/8 chain and then some heavy rode.

I am a chicken and worry wart by nature and CAN NOT sleep on the boat in other than dead calm. I just spent three nights waking up every half hour to check the anchor. I started to drag just once, and I caught it within minutes, but I was in heading into about 10 to 20 million worth of much smaller and more fragile boats.

I am going to get the biggest Rocna that makes any kind of sense. I'm not worried about weight, we have a nice big Lofrans (Tigress?) and the wife needs exercise anyway. I don't think an extra 10 or 20 pounds on the bow will make much difference. But I do have a question that I have not seen addressed.

I could put a Rocna 33 or 40 on her, but with my chain (assume 3/8" BB) at what point is it overkill for the chain? At some point the chain will be the weak link in the.......well.........chain.

Any thoughts?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 20:19   #73
Marine Service Provider

Take a look at Chain (Rocna Knowledge Base) for Rocna's recommended chain sizes and strengths for various anchor sizes.

3/8" G40 would be the choice with the Rocna 33, really a bit undersized with the 40 but then you wouldn't need to replace windlass gypsy (if you can find equivalent link sizing). BBB is a little understrength and definitely so for the 40. Unfortunately upgrading an anchor significantly always means the rest of the old system is no longer matched. Like the anchor it has to be said your chain is too small & weak for the boat.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 04:50   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Thanks Craig. Knew I had seen it somewhere in the distant past of my memory.

I'll get the 33 then and upgrade the chain later. I suspect that your size recommendations, besides being a little more thorough (displacement & weight) are a little more conservative than others.

My main problem is dragging in relatively light conditions with the anchor not resetting.

It's hard to believe that this boat at 44' and 22-tons had such a small CQR as her main anchor. But she also came with two 70 pound Danforths that were just kinda sitting around.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 04:57   #75

I don't feel you need to replace your chain or windlass. Your 35 CQR is what I had originally on mine and it would take several attempts to get it to set. My boat is also 44000 lbs dry. Approximately 54000 loaded.

When I changed to a 77lb Ultra, I stayed with the same 3/8 chain with no problems. The ultra sets well and the chain was never the issue.

You don't have any issue with the anchor bending or chain breaking, just a bad anchor. JMHO.

Tags
anchor, delta