Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2017, 13:25   #1

Boat: DownEaster 38
Quality of Lewmar H3 windlass?

I have been searching for some time for a windlass for my Downeaster 38 and now have the opportunity to get a 7 year old, but allegedly never used, Lewmar H3. Size and shape look good to me which is important for mounting on the bowsprit. Spec: 1000 w and 1962 lbs max pull are about right. But what about the quality? From what I have read Lewmar does not get high ratings for their windlasses. Anyone with relevant experience have a comment or two?
Thanks in advance.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 11:54   #2

Re: Quality of Lewmar H3 windlass?

I am about to pull the trigger on the purchase of this "7 year old but never used" Lewmar H3 windlass. It is gypsy only which I can live with. I have searched many horizontal models and this is the only one which actually will sit on top of the after end of the bowsprit (with a custom made base plate). This unit does not come with internal wiring installed as the new ones do, but it seems to be a minor job to remove the rear cover, connect the wires and remount the cover (with bedding compound to make it water tight).
Unless I hear that Lewmar windlasses in general or this H3 model in particular are to be avoided, I'll go ahead. Thanks for your attention.
Old 21-11-2017, 12:14   #3

I have the H 3. Full time cruising for nearly eight years, almost always anchored.

It's been good. Only issue has been that the bronze gypsy suffers wear if you let the chain get too rusty. (Chain links get longer).

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 15:36   #4

Thanks for the quick reply. (Are you being serious? That's what I said when I saw the proposed design for the next America's Cup!) The unit certainly looks solid enough. I plan to have chain and rope which should reduce wear on the gypsy.
Happy Cruising.
Old 24-11-2017, 10:47   #5

I have decided to get the Lewmar H3 windlass and now have to decide on the electrics. Add a dedicated battery somewhere in the forepeak or run the big cables from the back of the boat. Needs a 110 amp breaker so the current will be considerable. As I don't at present plan to be using this a lot the second options seems to make more sense. Of course I need to do the math first. Thoughts? Advice?
TIA

Tags
lewmar, wind, windlass