Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 12:05   #2791

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

There are some who say to let the anchor settle in on its own, no need to do any reversing or setting. I never understood that logic and I am pretty certain I never will. When I sailed bigger boats and was setting only a single bow anchor I liked to rev it up (slowly, or you may just get the anchor to skip on the bottom) to whatever was safe for the engine, hold it there for up to a minute or less and check fixed markers if possible for movement of the boat. If it isn't setting, you'll likely see it in less than a minute.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 13:00   #2792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There are some who say to let the anchor settle in on its own, no need to do any reversing or setting. I never understood that logic and I am pretty certain I never will. When I sailed bigger boats and was setting only a single bow anchor I liked to rev it up (slowly, or you may just get the anchor to skip on the bottom) to whatever was safe for the engine, hold it there for up to a minute or less and check fixed markers if possible for movement of the boat. If it isn't setting, you'll likely see it in less than a minute.
Until this year I always reversed down to set, however there is one spot that I anchor that has heavy mud and when I reverse the thing....that anchor is difficult to break free. I know I could put a trip line on it, but even with that it might be hard. So for the past few times at that anchorage, I just let the anchor settle on it's own without any reverse. And in the morning there is still difficulty in bringing it out but not like before. 45 lb mason supreme

Old 07-09-2017, 00:15   #2793

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I know an anchor buried in mud takes a lot of (somewhat) gentle tugging straight up to coax it out. (Try a Danforth in mud!) That is mud for ya, it's almost like concrete. And many anchors that are just dropped on the bottom will PROBABLY set once they start to drag, given good scope, as long as the chain is not wrapped around the anchor. But, I still would argue that the anchor that was properly set in mud is the one that is more dependable when it is really called on. For me it is sleep insurance; I just cannot sleep really well till I know the anchor(s) is(are) set.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: