Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 21:19   #91

Re: New Anchor - Manson Boss

This anchor is much larger in size than I expected. I ordered a 60lb Boss thinking it would be close in size to a 60lb Supreme. This turned out to not be the case. The top part of the triangular fluke is almost 3 ft across. The surface area is quite massive.

Amazingly, it still fit on our bowsprit.

We'll be taking a 2 week cruise in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have some reports on how this thing performs.
Old 31-05-2012, 21:38   #92

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
This anchor is much larger in size than I expected. I ordered a 60lb Boss thinking it would be close in size to a 60lb Supreme. This turned out to not be the case. The top part of the triangular fluke is almost 3 ft across. The surface area is quite massive.

Amazingly, it still fit on our bowsprit.

We'll be taking a 2 week cruise in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have some reports on how this thing performs.
Now that even looks oversize. Just right for cruising.

Cheers
Old 31-05-2012, 21:45   #93

Almost as big as my wife!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:42   #94

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

Slightly off topic, but, with any anchor on a bowsprit, how do you avoid the anchor catching on the bobstay when retrieving?
I am considering mounting my Manson Supreme off to the side to avoid this issue.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48   #95

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Wow... If I see your boat in an anchorage, I will not hesitate to drop anchor behind you. No chance you're dragging on me in the night!

I just put a 55lb Rocna on my 34's Sabre. It's nice to see some other crazy sized anchors out there.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:01   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
Slightly off topic, but, with any anchor on a bowsprit, how do you avoid the anchor catching on the bobstay when retrieving?
I am considering mounting my Manson Supreme off to the side to avoid this issue.
Haven't figure that out ourselves yet. 45lb CQRs we had on the rollers caught like bastards all the time. Now this thing hangs too.

Maybe there is a secret.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06   #97
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Haven't figure that out ourselves yet. 45lb CQRs we had on the rollers caught like bastards all the time. Now this thing hangs too.

Maybe there is a secret.

Build and install catheads? Would be a big mod for a minor problem though. Many people intentionally catch the anchor on the bobstay and leave it there, bowsed tight.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:29   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Build and install catheads? Would be a big mod for a minor problem though. Many people intentionally catch the anchor on the bobstay and leave it there, bowsed tight.
I'd just as soon continue to play with them up and down until they come up correctly than build catheads. We've got enough crap hanging off the bow as is!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30   #99

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
If you add a second snubber and secure it to a cockpit winch on the same side as the primary rode, you can tighten it up enough to adjust boat angle to one side and keep the primary rode off the bobstay. End-game is a bridle cofiguration.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
If you add a second snubber and secure it to a cockpit winch on the same side as the primary rode, you can tighten it up enough to adjust boat angle to one side and keep the primary rode off the bobstay. End-game is a bridle cofiguration.

You're talking about keeping the rode off the bobstays right? We're talking about hauling the anchor up out of the water onto the roller. Keeping the anchor itself off the stays.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21   #101

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000

Maybe there is a secret.
Boat hook? Ours is set up so that if I bring it up to waterline by windlass, it's then easiest to just manhandle it up the rest of the way past the bobstay. We have a small bowsprit, though, so this might be more difficult on other boats.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:33   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Wow... If I see your boat in an anchorage, I will not hesitate to drop anchor behind you. No chance you're dragging on me in the night!

I just put a 55lb Rocna on my 34's Sabre. It's nice to see some other crazy sized anchors out there.
We should start the "Big Anchor Club". Where no one argues about anchors as long as they're huge.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:06   #103
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
We should start the "Big Anchor Club". Where no one argues about anchors as long as they're huge.

I'm in!! My bow roller has a 105# cqr and a 110# danforth, both with 300' of chain. Also 400' of 1" hawser ready to be shackled to either one. A boat needs brakes, right?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:22   #104

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:

Just like you, I said "opps" once I saw my new anchor arrive at the door with a pissed-off UPS guy hobbling back to his truck. It seems really large until I put it on the bow... and saw photos of your new Boss anchor. It will be well worth it when a storm kicks-up and I'm able to still get some sleep.

Old 06-06-2012, 15:38   #105

Boat: Niagara 35

Just ordered the 45 lb from River Marine in Vancouver for $600. Haven't seen any tests or reviews yet, so I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith!
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor