Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2024, 22:25   #1

Mooring Line - The Carey Hitch?

When tying up to a mooring buoy, I think most people run a line from a deck cleat, through the ring or whatever on the buoy, and back to the same or a different deck cleat. This is a fine method. It isn't what we do, for a couple of reasons, but it's perfectly fine.

We use another method that uses a specially prepared line. (We actually have two of these lines, but we use them both the same way.)

The line has a loop tied in one end, and a second loop tied about 18 inches or so from that same end. The other end is just plain (no knots/loops).

We put the end loop on a deck cleat, just to secure it while we're grabbing the buoy. Then we pass the plain end through the ring on the buoy and back through the second loop (not the end loop). We let the end loop go and secure the plain end to the cleat. This forms a girth hitch through that second loop. The end loop hangs loose on a little 18-inch tail.

Why two loops? Well, when we are ready to leave, we just grab the end loop on that little tail, with a boat hook and uncleat the plain end. The line pulls right off and we don't have to monkey with loosening the girth hitch.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is better than just doubling the line back like most folks do. But, I am wondering what this setup is called. Not many people I know use this method, so I don't know what it is called. We think it is called a "Carey hitch". Does anyone know it by a different name?
Foswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 02:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Mooring Line - The Carey Hitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
... I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is better than just doubling the line back like most folks do. But, I am wondering what this setup is called. Not many people I know use this method, so I don't know what it is called. We think it is called a "Carey hitch". Does anyone know it by a different name?
IDK, what this interesting setup is called.
By “Carey Hitch”, do you mean “Barrel Hitch”?
https://www.animatedknots.com/barrel-hitch-knot

The Girth Hitch weakens a sling, particularly if two straps are directly knotted to each other. This loss of strength is worse, e.g., close to 50%, when tied in the form used in the animation where one strap passes straight through and the other forms a collar around itself.
https://www.animatedknots.com/girth-hitch-knot

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 12:55   #3

Definitely not the barrel hitch. It really is just a girth hitch, but with an extra little tail to make it easy to quickly undo.

I've read about this weakening, but that is actually a bit misleading as it assumes the use of sling. In the context of a girth hitch with a rope, the failure will always occur at the knot used to tie the end loop. So, the security has to do with what knot you use to make that loop (or the eye splice).

One reason we prefer this method to what most folks use is that, on a mooring buoy, the "weak link" is where the line passes through the ring on the buoy. This is where it is subject to rubbing. By using a Carey hitch (or whatever it's called), it doubles up the surface area of this contact point while also not allowing rubbing back and forth.

But, frankly we use it because we find it slick to use, not because we think it is more secure (which it probably is not).
Old 27-04-2024, 14:40   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Foswick,

If you have time and inclination, it would help me to visualize your method if you took pictures of your made up line, and also show it in use.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a girth hitch, as one would use for the cinch on a western saddle, though. Around cleats, we use a round turn and two half hitches.

Thanks in advance,

Ann
Old 27-04-2024, 15:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you have time and inclination, it would help me to visualize your method if you took pictures of your made up line, and also show it in use.
Sure. I'm not on the boat today, but here is a tabletop version. Note, I just made quick loops with a half-hitch, but that's not what you would use at full scale. In the order of these thumbnails:
  1. The first just shows the prepared line.
  2. Cleat off the end loop temporarily, just so you don't drop it in the water and pass the bitter end through the buoy.
  3. Release the end loop and pull the bitter end back to the deck cleat.
  4. ... and pull it snug. The miniature version looks a little weird, but this effectively makes a girth hitch on the second loop, and the first loop is left as a little tail to grab.
  5. To leave, you grab that tail loop with your boat hook and uncleat the line. (My boat hook is coincidentally shaped like giant human fingers.)
  6. Pull it in and cruise off.
(By the way, what I actually use is a bowline knot for the end loop and a butterfly knot for the second loop. Though, honestly, I don't think it matters much.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carey_hitch_1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	289298   Click image for larger version

Name:	carey_hitch_2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	289299  

Name:	carey_hitch_3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	289300   Click image for larger version

Name:	carey_hitch_4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	289301  

Name:	carey_hitch_5.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	289302   Click image for larger version

Name:	carey_hitch_6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	289303  

Old 27-04-2024, 15:48   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, that works for me, Foswick. Thanks very much.

Ann
Old 27-04-2024, 19:17   #7

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

Thanks for sharing that trick!
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring