Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 09:32   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Manson Supreme or Rocna

If you could get either at about the same price, would you want the 45 lb Manson, or the 44 lb Rocna?
Why?
I'm not trying to start another peeing contest over anchors, but The AC deal on the Manson Supreme is so over sold they are on a six week backorder. Defender is offering me the Rocna for a little less than the Manson, I can wait six weeks, that's not the issue, getting the best anchor is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 09:35   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Manson Supreme or Rocna

First off, go bigger for your size boat and as they both work well, get the best looking one.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 09:51   #3

In reality probably zero difference. I had a surpreme and was happy with it. Now own mantus. And am happy with it
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 09:58   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I have the Manson Supreme too, but the Rocna was on my list. The deciding factor was that the Manson fit my boat better. The shank was too long on the Rocna, and interfered with the Sampson post.

We have the 35#, and has held us in 50+ in Georgetown Bahamas. We have dragged twice. Once during a frontal passage in Nassau, and another 30+ in White Sound (Green Turtle, Abaco). Both are known to have poor holding. Grass in Nassau, and Turtle Grass in White Sound. I just had not found the "right" spot to drop the anchor, so my fault.

Ralph
New anchor | sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 10:02   #5

If both fit your boat, they are pretty equal anchors, new gen roll bars, first generation of new gens. Can't go wrong either way.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 10:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
If both fit your boat, they are pretty equal anchors, new gen roll bars, first generation of new gens. Can't go wrong either way.

Your boat, your choice.
Second that. I think any of the new gen anchors will do well. I had a Rocna, liked it. Now have a Mantus and think it's a great anchor.

For now my preference is the Mantus because I think the makers are good people and stand behind the product.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 10:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can't try either one for fit, but think either will. I Have lots or room behind the anchors as I have no windlass yet.
I'm thinking go with the Rocna, but go up to 55 lbs.? Is that stupid big? With anything there is a point of diminishing returns and it just gets silly, is 55 lbs silly on a 38"? It's also another $100 and I don't have money to waste.
Old 25-07-2014, 10:48   #8
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

We have the 35# on our 36', with 5/16 HT chain. I'd think the 45#, with 3/8" chain would be perfect for your IP. But hey, you're the one that has to sleep at night when the wind kicks up.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 10:48   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Have a Rocna 15 (33 lbs) on my 32 and very satisfied. I used their sizing recommendations and I think they are plenty conservative.

If you are in town this weekend West Marine is clearing out the two local stores (moving in with Home Depot). I saw a bigger than mine at the 15th street store the other day. Don't remember the exact size.

Frank Walker
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 10:58   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Frank,
I'll be down this afternoon, about 6 PM local I think, have to meet a local sailmaker about some re-sewing on my Bimini an dodger and some custom work.
Where do you keep your boat?
Old 25-07-2014, 10:58   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I can't try either one for fit, but think either will. I Have lots or room behind the anchors as I have no windlass yet.
I'm thinking go with the Rocna, but go up to 55 lbs.? Is that stupid big? With anything there is a point of diminishing returns and it just gets silly, is 55 lbs silly on a 38"? It's also another $100 and I don't have money to waste.
have

Unless you plan to spend most nights in a marina, you will want the 55 lb Rocna AND a windlass. The IP38 is a heavy boat and bigger is better.

If you are cost conscious, $100 is one time when you couldn't get the anchor to hold and had to turn tail and get a marina slip--if there is one available.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:01   #12

From everything I have read the sizing charts are close to what you want, in the old days it was common to "get the biggest one that looks funny", today given the holding you can match the boat well. Have the Rocna and amazed at how hard and fast it sets, wish I bought it years ago, not saying Rocna is THE one, just my first hand experience.

I would add the Rocna website allows you to download the 1D print, I printed the 6 pages (taped them together as instructed) for an exact dim/size and could see how it fit the pulpit, I was worried about the roll bar and it was nice to see how it would layout before buying.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, the windlass will come when funds permit, until then I have told the kid to eat his Wheaties. Just like an Autopilot, until then I have two Otto pilots, Otto 1 is the 18 yr old Son, Otto 2 is the 15 yr old Daughter.
Biggest thing making me wonder about the 55 lb is Rocna says they are conservative already, no need to oversize
Old 25-07-2014, 11:18   #14

Boat: Niagara 35

If you can, have a look at the 45# anchors before deciding. The surface area is huge on new gen anchors. You are probably fine with 45# and 55# may not even fit on your bow. We got a 45# Boss for our 35' boat and couldn't believe how huge it was. Any larger and it wouldn't have fit.

I would definitely go for the Manson Supreme. Performance is similar, but the shank material of the Manson is stronger and it is made in NZ, not China.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:26   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
An IP 38 is a fat boat. I see them hauling 2 45lb anchors around on the bow. Maybe one big one would be better? $100 is chump change in ground tackle and it would never be a waste to go with the best. That goes for the anchor the chain the windlass and the electrical set-up.
Nobody seems to laugh at our 36' boat because we have a 25kg Rocna on the bow, maybe it's not big enough. For me it comes down to how well you can secure the thing at sea. Some anchors look like they be could be torn off pretty easy.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna