Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 15:10   #1

I am looking for these

Montana Cinch
Those folks above went out of business but if anyone has seen these, I would like to hear about where. I would like to use these to anchor with.

You would Toss out your anchor ( so to speak) tied it to a bow cleat. Then about 10 to 20 feet off that cleat hook in this unit and with another rope triangulate it back to a rear cleat.
I am sure I am not explaining this well... But does anyone know where I might purchase these ?
Divecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 15:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Saw them at a boat show a couple of years ago. If nothing else, your local machine shop should be able to punch out a dozen or so at a reasonable price - maybe not as pretty. But if I recall, they wanted $20 USD or more for them. Didn't seem like a good value.

If you learn how to do a rolling hitch, you wouldn't need one.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 15:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Agreed, a rolling hitch or a truckers hitch is a cheaper method. I reminds me of those hangers for fenders that save you from having to tie a knot (gasp!). No offense intended Dive, but I think it would be better to tie an appropriate knot. Also, you cant lose a knot...they appear and disappear right before your very eyes!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 15:45   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Looks like a figure 8 used for rappelling might check a climbing shop. Also saw something like that in this months crusing world or sailing mag used for a different purpose.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 15:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Agreed, a rolling hitch or a truckers hitch is a cheaper method. I reminds me of those hangers for fenders that save you from having to tie a knot (gasp!). No offense intended Dive, but I think it would be better to tie an appropriate knot. Also, you cant lose a knot...they appear and disappear right before your very eyes!
YOu know what??? I never thought of that. . . . duhhhhhhhh
Old 07-02-2008, 17:30   #6

Boat: C&C 27
I"ve never used a figure eight for anchoring but it is part of my rigging harness.

Take a look at these.
Black Diamond Super 8 Belay Device from REI.com

You may want to look at these as well. (Beats the heck out of a bosun's chair)
Mammut Focus Harness from REI.com

Finally consider a couple of these, petzl makes a similar product that is a little cheaper.
Gibbs Ascenders
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 21:18   #7

In Reality just about any sort of clip would work well.
You could even tie a clip to the aft spring line and 10 to 20 feet off the bow cleat pull a double loop and clip the aft line in and snug it up as needed. Lots of options once I think about it. I do like the idea of a dedicated line and clip of some sort. Where is that line for the anchor spring line . Its the one with the green clip hanging on the port side of the companion way. Yep I think I will return to liking a dedicated line and clip over the need for ME to tie a rolling hitch . Delegate delegate . K.I.S.S.
But if it doesnt work Ill have to just tie it my self.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:54   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
A Prusik knot works far better, cheaper, and is also adjustable. Works on chain too but less adjustable. Also a knot invented by a climber. These other climbing devices are even more expensive. The Montana Cinch will cause the rope to fail before the device. You will end up with a short rope attached to a Montana cinch.

Karl Prusik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:24   #9

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
How to tie a prusik
The Prusik Knot or Triple Sliding Hitch
This site also can show how to tie most any knot.

I work for an FD and am on the tech rescue team and our local SAR team. We preach the KISS method in all appliations. We routinely raise and lower with minimal hardware, just well placed knots and a couple pulleys. I also climb the mast via the jib halyard using prusiks and a seat harness, the main halyard is the back up.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
How to tie a prusik
The Prusik Knot or Triple Sliding Hitch
This site also can show how to tie most any knot.

I work for an FD and am on the tech rescue team and our local SAR team. We preach the KISS method in all appliations. We routinely raise and lower with minimal hardware, just well placed knots and a couple pulleys. I also climb the mast via the jib halyard using prusiks and a seat harness, the main halyard is the back up.
Then tell me doesnt the Prusik knot as well as the other 2 mentioned require the loose ends be short ? I need to make this knot with a loose end no less than 20 to 30 feet long.
I think I could see myself using a 1/2 hitch to accomplish what I need?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You can make a prusik or my favorite the variation called a Klemheist knot with a loop then attach the loop to a lead. A 1/2 hitch won't hold as well. A prusik is easier to tie. Lay the loop on top of the line wrap around a few times then through the loop. Most climbers would do this one handed.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:52   #12

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
A prusik is just a very simple, cheap way to create a rope grab. From that you can clip to another longer line via 'biners or shackles. No worry about chafe and if you lose it your only out a buck.
If you do decide to try them make sure the prusik is about 70% the diameter of the host rope you are grabbing. 10mm host 7mm prusik or there abouts. Too small and they bite really hard and are tough to undo, too large and they wont bite causing a slip.

edit to add:
Some will say the 7mm prusik is now the weak link, but that 7mm is double.
Old 14-02-2008, 04:49   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Klemheist (left), and Prusik, or Triple-Sliding (right) Hitches:
Grog's Climbing Knots Index
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote