Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 06:59   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: How to Buy Anchor Chain

Seeing that you are in Nyack I went through a similar decision about seven years ago and at that time the best I could find was Defender. I drove my car into their loading dock and several staffers there gradually lowered 300 feet of 5/16 into the trunk of my car. I was then able to park the car right under the bow roller when the boat was hauled out and then could pull the chain up onto the boat easily over the bow roller. I now have cut that chain into three 100-foot lengths. For New England cruising I never need more than the 100 feet in the bow locker, and I keep another 100 further aft between the V berths in a bucket. If I was going to the Caribbean or the Pacific I would connect one, two, or three lengths as needed. I would only go with Acco or Campbell chain, or maybe some other USA-made chain if there is any. Sounds simplistic but I would go to the manufacturer's website and look up a list of suppliers in the area and then start calling them to see what kind of deal they will give you.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:48   #17

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
If you anchor every day moving chain to the middle of boat will be a big pain. If the windlass drops it in the bow, leave it in the bow. Dont fool yourself into thinking that every morning you'll pull it through, not realistic. Leave it where it lays. The windlass is there to save time, not add another step to your morning coffee routine. I bought 1/2 drum 3/8" from defender (200') and wish I had 100' more. 1/4 seems far to small, maybe a half drum of 5/16" (275') would work. At the last minute I chose to go 3/8" not realizing i was going to lose 75'. At the same time I purchased a Maxwell vertical windlass for 3/8". Currently run a 55# delta, but plan on a 80# of some sort soon.
I wouldn't use the entire 300' on a daily basis, design allows the ability to split the chain between the bilge and the anchor locker. Will keep a reasonable ammount in the anchor locker and use longer lengths as requires. With double rollers on the bowsprit can also use nylon rode for a lunch hook.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Seeing that you are in Nyack I went through a similar decision about seven years ago and at that time the best I could find was Defender. I drove my car into their loading dock and several staffers there gradually lowered 300 feet of 5/16 into the trunk of my car. I was then able to park the car right under the bow roller when the boat was hauled out and then could pull the chain up onto the boat easily over the bow roller. I now have cut that chain into three 100-foot lengths. For New England cruising I never need more than the 100 feet in the bow locker, and I keep another 100 further aft between the V berths in a bucket. If I was going to the Caribbean or the Pacific I would connect one, two, or three lengths as needed. I would only go with Acco or Campbell chain, or maybe some other USA-made chain if there is any. Sounds simplistic but I would go to the manufacturer's website and look up a list of suppliers in the area and then start calling them to see what kind of deal they will give you.
Kettlewell, as usual thanks for the practical advice.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I started with three 100' lengths shackled together, but went with a single 300' length when I replaced the chain. Running the joins over the gypsy can be a bit awkward as the shackle can't seat into the pocket. I definitely prefer the smoother operation with a continuous length. I rarely use less than 100' (100'/6 scope - 3.7' height of roller = 13' water depth at high tide). I commonly use 200' (about 30' depth), and occasionally 250' (about 38'). I try to keep back some at the end. And of course I go with higher scope if the wind is piping up. Personally, I always want the ability to use all 300' if the situation calls for it; having a section disconnected and stowed separately is of little value if it is needed quickly.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52   #20

Boat: Bluewater Ingrid 38 Ketch- September

Last Christmas I went looking for a new anchor and rode set up as I had finally finished the windlass installation. My first call was to a second hand chandlery in Seattle- two-hundred feet of Acco 3/8 G4, brand new, 200 feet 3/4 nylon, light use, 75# CQR needing new galvanizing. All up $1000. I don't know if this was a once in a lifetime deal, but calling every used gear shop you can find might work out.
Good luck!
John
jrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00   #21

Chain, Chain Supplies, Binder Chains, Lifting Slings and Hooks is the best price for all of your chain needs. They even have high alloy shackels that match the SWL of G4 chain. Free frieght too!
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor