Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 14:10   #1

Has anyone tried a (German) SVB Bracket (Bügel)?

I've been reading the photos thread with great interest - many thanks to all contributors and especially Noelex.

In post 742 OP makes the point that "The Bugel copies can be a bargain if you are on a very tight budget, but you must check the geometry and balance very carefully against a genuine Bugel. Some of these copies are terrible..."

In the English language version of the SVB website the anchor is called a Bracket, but on the German version it is called a Bügel. I presume it is a copy but no idea whether it's a good one or not. I found the site via a recommendation on the YBW forum, but wondered if anyone here had any direct experience of this model?

I need a new anchor and was about to buy a Delta (2nd hand, not overly expensive) when I saw this thread and changed my mind. I'm very impressed by the NG anchors. However, I really am working on a very tight budget and this anchor is both reasonably priced and very cheap shipping (and no extra taxes since I am in UK). It's about half the price of the next cheapest option (Manson Supreme).

Most of my anchoring is in southwest England where tidal range at Springs can be well over 5 metres, so lots of turning is always going to happen. The rollbar anchors look as if they deal with turning well, which would be a nice feature to have!
chal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 00:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Has anyone tried a (German) SVB Bracket (Bügel)?

Hi Chal
Welcome to the forum and for the kind words.

SVB sell the original Wasi stainless steel Bugel anchor and they also sell this galvanised version. The galvanised version is what I would call a copy (although you could argue that Wasi were just one producer of the design).

As you note, these Bugel copies are very inexpensive. This one is almost half the price of the same sized Delta which itself is quite an inexpensive anchor.

Despite its very low price this model has apparently been independently certified certified as high holding by SBG Seeberufsgenossenschaft. However, I place little value in these bits of paper.

The Bugel is a very simple design. The lack of complex geometry means there is less chance of mistakes. In addition, the original anchor was not designed to be produced with hi tensile steels, so it is a hard design to stuff up if you are producing a copy.

However, I would not buy one of these anchors unless I could inspect it personally checking the geometry, material thickness and balance against an original. I would also have a close look at the welds.

There are some measurements in the Wasi catalogue, but it is a popular anchor in Europe and you are better to examine an original yourself.

German brochure here:
http://anchors.synthasite.com/resour...hure-m8296.pdf
Or Page 19 of the larger download.
http://www.wasi.de/uploads/tx_smallw...07-2011_01.pdf

As you won't be able to inspect the anchor you are getting yourself, I would pass on the Bugel and get the second hand Delta. The other bargain anchor to consider is the Kobra 2. This is convex plow anchor like the. Delta, but the longer thinner blade and lighter shank give it slightly better performance than the Delta. In most countries it is significantly cheaper than the Delta. The SVB catalogue lists the price price half way between the Delta and Bugel copy. With new galvanising this may be a better buy than a second hand Delta.

Both the Delta and the Kobra are still good anchors. As you have no doubt seen from the underwater photos, there is a gap between these good anchors and the performance of the top anchors, but there are many happy users of both the Delta and the Kobra.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32   #3

Hi Noelex

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I think I'll just have to save up for the cheapest branded NGA - I really want to sleep at night and after seeing all your pictures of Deltas (and similar anchors) I don't think I would!

My early boating experiences were in Moreton Bay (Brisbane) and you could lob a grapnel into the sand there and be fairly safe, but around Cornwall it just isn't like that. I don't dive but even if I did, the water is both very murky and very cold and there is no chance of me being able to see what the anchor is doing - I have to have faith in it. High tides and brisk tidal streams seem to me to be best served by an anchor that both digs in well and turns well.

Incidentally, as an aside, interesting photos of the pottery. I was amazed when reading a YBW thread a year or so ago at how many people said they dumped empty bottles over the side, because glass was only sand anyway. If pottery made that long ago can still be there, heaven knows how long a modern champagne bottle might last.

Cheers

Paul
chal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 07:09   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I am a bit late to the party but even if the OP has probably made another choice already, maybe someone else is going tomake use of this info:

We bought a Lagoon 410 back in 2010 and after dragging a smaller CQR over various anchorages in the Balearics on our first short trips we bought a 24kg SVB Bügel anchor. The biggest I could get shipped to Spain.

This particular Bügel from SVB worked flawlessly for us. Quality was OK, but sharp edges from galvanising. We were living at anchor over a one year cruise from Spain via Balearics, Canaries, Cabo Verde to the Caribbean. So mostly sandy anchorages, some a bit more rocky.

Positives:
The anchor set on the first attempt every time in these conditions, given a minimum scope of at least 1:3. At less than 1:3 it is likely to not set at all. At least the 24kg version is heavy enough to penetrate relatively hard surfaces.
In sandy / muddy anchorages the anchor just digs deeper and deeper into the bottom as load increases. Backing up hard is typically enough to fully hide the anchor. After three days of 30+kn in an exposed anchorage with a soft bottom (Union Island) the anchor was burried maybe half a meter deep.
Quality seemed OK, no signs of wear or corrosion after the year.

Negatives:
It didn't like thick sea weed, where it would either penetrate it and set immediately or if it failed to set it would tangle up lots of weed and not set at all. That happened mostly when backing up on the anchor too fast in a rush or in windy conditions. Going slow initially improved the chances of setting right away. Annoying but you can't have it all.
I heard rumours that the Bügel is weak at resetting on 180 degree tidal shifts but we never had this, so can't comment on it.
Galvanisation with sharp edges, cutting skin.

We anchored out maybe 320 nights over this one year trip in winds up to 35kn and never had any issue. Slept like a baby but always had the anchor alarm on
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 07:20   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Despite its very low price this model has apparently been independently certified certified as high holding by SBG Seeberufsgenossenschaft. However, I place little value in these bits of paper.
The certification by the SBG was for the genuine version, not for the SVB copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Both the Delta and the Kobra are still good anchors. As you have no doubt seen from the underwater photos, there is a gap between these good anchors and the performance of the top anchors, but there are many happy users of both the Delta and the Kobra.
Our current boat (FP Mahe 36) came with a 20kg Kobra 2. I was about to order a Bügel but had issues shipping to Greece (freaky expensive!) so decided to give the Kobra a chance. We anchored out for about 50nights so far, mostly in Greece. Compared to the Bügel the Kobra seems to be OK, doesn't set as fast and doesn't burry itself as deep but seems to be better in weed and shorter scope. We had a few 180 degree wind shifts with about 20kn and the anchor turned on a dime with no dragging.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote