Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 06:31   #1

Question Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and...

...can you guess what happened?

I'm anchored up for the night (just one night) at a local anchorage with my daughter for some quality time...

The wind is set to blow around 25 and I'm in 3' of water with 30' of chain. So... thought, this is great time to use the Mantus Bridle I never used. LOL...

We set it all up, I go to swing the "black plastic retainer" back... and !!!SNAP!!!

LOL... Ok... well... let's put that back in the bag. LOL.

So. Questions.

1) I see they now have an M2... which I'm not going to buy. Because... well... nah.
2) The reviews on the M1 don't look so great (I do love their anchor, however!)... so I'm wondering a few things.

a) Is it worth it to order the new plastic or is that just going to turn to crap too?
b) Is there a better way to modify that clip? My son is sorta a whiz at looking at that sorta thing and saying "I have a better idea"... so I'm wondering what you guys are doing? Naturally I can just remove it and go for something totally different too...

Talk to me.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 28-02-2021, 07:20   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and.

Well, you can buy a new one for a few bux from Mantus, but sadly, plastic is NOT forever, especially if it's stored where UV can get to it.
The hook should work fine without the retainer, just make sure you keep tension on the snubber.
FWIW, I understand the plastic strap on the M2 chain hook also suffers degradation and needs regular replacement

I just built an odd form of soft shackle for ours, and we're looking forward to trying it this summer

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 07:22   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and.

Just use a rolling hitch (modified). Easy to tie, secure on chain, nothing to break.
Old 28-02-2021, 07:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Just use a rolling hitch (modified). Easy to tie, secure on chain, nothing to break.
That's just plain 'Common'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 08:21   #5

Boat: PDQ 44i

I bought a Mantus chain hook once. It looked good in the catalog. It was a nightmare to use. Tried it once and hated it. So, I made myself a Prusik out of dyneema, as strong as the Mantus, but easy to use and goes over the bow roller like a dream. I hook our cat's 2-part bridle to the Prusik with a soft shackle. It has been completely satisfactory for several seasons.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 08:32   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I took Mike’s advice about this after decades and decades of full time living on the hook.

He’s absolutely right.

This is the best way to attach any rope to chain. Held through sustained hurricane force winds this spring for us.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 08:38   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We are full time cruisers and rarely visit a dock. I’m also a bit of an anchoring nerd and gadget hound, and having tried just about everything the M1 chain hook is my favorite. We use it every day! I’ve tried the M2 but the strap keeper doesn’t hold up as I need.

We have two M1 hooks and the plastic gate has never broken, and believe me, we are not gentle users.

If needed, they sell replacements for 5 bucks and under- https://www.mantusmarine.com/product/hook-gate/
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 08:58   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

We bought one a few years ago, intending to replace the plain, old chain hook we'd been using. It looked really good in the adds! I should note the "plain, old chain hook has never once released when it should not have, caused an issue or problem, and has always been easy to hook on/release. We found the Mantus hook almost impossible to install (a real PITA), and the same when it came time to release it. It went back in the drawer, and never seen the light of day since! We're still using the regular chain hook, without incident! Personally, I would not waste the few $$ a replacement plastic stop might cost.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:24   #9

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

It's really interesting hearing the complaints of it being difficult to use. We use the m1 hook and love it.
It never falls off, its seconds to attach and detach, we love it. Especially in shallow water where an open hook will commonly fall off.
We did lose the plastic keeper once, because the bolt backed out.( my fault, I hadn't checked it recently) the hook stayed on the chain though, just not attached to the bridle anymore
A few bucks at mantus got us a replacement.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:42   #10

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We bought one a few years ago, intending to replace the plain, old chain hook we'd been using. It looked really good in the adds! I should note the "plain, old chain hook has never once released when it should not have, caused an issue or problem, and has always been easy to hook on/release. We found the Mantus hook almost impossible to install (a real PITA), and the same when it came time to release it. It went back in the drawer, and never seen the light of day since! We're still using the regular chain hook, without incident! Personally, I would not waste the few $$ a replacement plastic stop might cost.
I agree. I use Mantus hook. It works just fine with or without plastic gate. The problem is to release it even under not very strong wind. Same peoblem would be with prusick loop. I can do it but the admiral who is alwas on the anchor cannot. I do not see how plain hook can get loosed if it is always under load.
We had our anchor dragged( at night naturally) toward the shore and million dollars yachts. This is when every second counts.
I am considering buying the plain hook for the next trip.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:43   #11

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I have a Mantus hook that came with the boat, and I've used it multiple times without the gate and it never came loose, but I finally ordered the plastic gate from Mantus for $1.25 or something like that, along with their anchor swivel to replace my questionable Suncor one. They actually sent me three of the plastic gates, so I guess if one breaks I can replace it. But I also have bought a clevis hook with metal gate to use as a back-up, or possibly as the primary. And, of course, the other back-up is a rolling hitch.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 11:34   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

By the way, I find it is usually a two-handed operation to get the Mantus hook off the chain, but not too hard.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:05   #13

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Following an expensive windlass rebuild !!! I now use the chain hook to set the anchor. Easy for me as the chain is at deck level. Geez i'm fed up with, ' learning the hard way !! '
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:10   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Weve spent months anchored using an M1 without the plastic retainer. Just slack the chain enough between the boat and the hook, to keep the chain in the hook. NEVER had it come off. I think the retainer is a waste of time.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:19   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
...can you guess what happened?

I'm anchored up for the night (just one night) at a local anchorage with my daughter for some quality time...

The wind is set to blow around 25 and I'm in 3' of water with 30' of chain. So... thought, this is great time to use the Mantus Bridle I never used. LOL...

We set it all up, I go to swing the "black plastic retainer" back... and !!!SNAP!!!

LOL... Ok... well... let's put that back in the bag. LOL.

So. Questions.

1) I see they now have an M2... which I'm not going to buy. Because... well... nah.
2) The reviews on the M1 don't look so great (I do love their anchor, however!)... so I'm wondering a few things.

a) Is it worth it to order the new plastic or is that just going to turn to crap too?
b) Is there a better way to modify that clip? My son is sorta a whiz at looking at that sorta thing and saying "I have a better idea"... so I'm wondering what you guys are doing? Naturally I can just remove it and go for something totally different too...

Talk to me.

Thanks,
Pete
Your questions about the chain hook have been well discussed already, so now I will ask you a question: are you serious about anchoring your boat in the manner described (3 feet of depth, 30 feet of rode)?

If so, I suggest rethinking your anchor drill a bit.

First, three feet depth is hardly enough to keep you off the bottom in a flat calm. With the slightest wave action you will be bouncing hard, and worrying about the chain hook will become academic. Or perhaps you meant three feet under the keel... better, but still damn close.

But, if the depth was indeed under the keel, then your scope becomes even more inadequate. "Inadequate?" you say, "I've got 10 to 1 out!" Well, your bow appears to be around 3-4 feet above the water line, and your draft is listed at a meter, and that all adds up to the bow roller being around 10 feet above the bottom and your scope in reality is around 3:1... not really good in shallow water with a blow coming.

The plastic gate breaking is a minor inconvenience... dragging in the middle of the night can be a major inconvenience! As I said, perhaps reconsidering your anchoring practice is in order.

Jim

Tags
Mantus