Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2021, 09:06   #61

Re: Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Just use a rolling hitch (modified). Easy to tie, secure on chain, nothing to break.
And its knot difficult.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 18:59   #62

Re: Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and.

I used the M1 for a couple of years. At first I really was impressed with the design. I had several issues: (1) the plastic clip broke after a few uses. (2) the chain-hook is too large to fit through our bow-roller, requiring me to reach over the bow-pulpit to attach difficult, and (3) occasionally, the chain-hook would come undone. Our boat skates around the anchor, with wind and tide changes so I suspect the chain-hook comes undone, especially in shallow water or low-tide.

I just purchased their new M2 and I'm looking forward to using. It will fit through our bow-roller. Seems like a quality piece of gear. I'm a little worried about the velcro strap and the chain-hook also coming undone. We'll see in a few days

I do appreciate Mantus' outstanding products and customer support.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:09   #63

I'ma M1 hooker too, and I have nothing to complain about. The plastic part is more for peace of mind as it will work fine and safely without it. I had mine for 5 years and the black plastic part has not broken, but if it did I would probable buy a new part given $1-2 cost. I trust the M1 over the M2 because the M@ relies on rubber strap and without the strap, your likely a goner.
dreuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:24   #64

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

I just wish they made the M-1 for 1/2" chain. I purchased the M-2, but haven't received it yet, as I am not yet at the boat . . . . , but I'm just not seeing how it would grip the chain securely . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:46   #65

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
I just wish they made the M-1 for 1/2" chain. I purchased the M-2, but haven't received it yet, as I am not yet at the boat . . . . , but I'm just not seeing how it would grip the chain securely . . .

They did, but they’re all sold out and they don’t make them anymore. Look for used.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:38   #66

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
They did, but they’re all sold out and they don’t make them anymore. Look for used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound

Ahhh, okay, I've ordered the M-2, but I'm not yet sold on the design. I may just fab one of my own out of 316. Thanks for the info!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:32   #67

Boat: Contrast 33

About 5 years ago Practical Sailor did a rather thorough test of different hitches used as anchor chain snubbers, finding that some slid too easily, and some others that gripped well needed a knife to release after being loaded to 2,000 lbs.
They found that the rolling hitch was the clear loser, slipping at only 500 lbs.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:46   #68

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
About 5 years ago Practical Sailor did a rather thorough test of different hitches used as anchor chain snubbers, finding that some slid too easily, and some others that gripped well needed a knife to release after being loaded to 2,000 lbs.
They found that the rolling hitch was the clear loser, slipping at only 500 lbs.
Thanks for posting this Peel. After reading it I think I've been telling a lie. It looks like my hitch is actually what they call a camel hitch. I've been calling it a modified rolling hitch.

PLUS, I use two snubbers to create a bridle. This result in two hitches snugged up to each other on the chain. So I guess mine is really a camel hitch, doubled.

Fun to learn what one actually does .
Old 10-03-2021, 18:58   #69

Boat: Contrast 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So I guess mine is really a camel hitch, doubled.
I believe the double humped camel is called a Bactrian.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 19:08   #70

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
I believe the double humped camel is called a Bactrian.

Old 10-03-2021, 19:57   #71

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
Buy any good quality chain hook. A retainer is not necessary if you do the following:

Keep a slack loop in the chain between the windlass and hook. The weight of this loop and the weight of the anchor chain from hook to anchor keeps the chain in the hook.
This. A simple stainless chain hook with a large loop of chain between hook and roller, making sure that the hook doesn't touch the bottom at all, easy to set up and very easy to unhook when the chain is retrieved.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 18:55   #72

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
Don't laugh... although I wasn't planning on solving my problem with electrical tape, I believe that I am going to design something that is far better than that silly plastic clip.
Not laughing....great idea, but I am going to try a nylon tie before I spend over a $100 on the Mantus 2 hook. I am tired of the hook coming off when there is not wind....only to deal with it when the winds pick up unexpectedly.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 19:11   #73

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi2010 View Post
Curious as to why this question is never asked about other equipment in this forum?
Funny you ask... Recently I was in the market for 400ft of 3/8 chain which I found in Amazon for an incredible price. When I asked the vender where it was made his answer was.."at the factory".

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:05   #74
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

We have had an M1 hook for about 5 years, and have used it extensively for the last three. We don't stay at marinas but Occasionally on a mooring ball or the rare free dock or bulkhead overnight. I could dig through the log book but a rough guess would be approximately 500-600 nights on the hook using the Mantus M1 chain hook and bridle.

We absolutely love it. I would not go back to using a rolling hitch or other hitch. The M1 hook is so easy I just can not understand why people have an issue or say it is difficult to use. Occasionally it takes a second of wiggling to get the chain link lined up on the slot to remove the hook but it is still way faster and one-handed than untying any snubber line from the chain by an order of magnitude. We have a 5/16 hook on 8mm metric chain so it is theoretically a tiny bit tighter and should be harder to use. One-handed simple and I out the hook on on the far side of the roller since I lead the two bridle lines up through the bow-chocks to my bow cleats.

I recently helped a friend move his boat a couple of days up the Chesapeake and had to revert to using a rolling hitch (doubled because I don't trust a single after reading the review in practical sailor). What a PITA that was. I suggested to my friend to get a Mantus chain hook.

I like the older M1 hook better than the M2, and since the M1 is out of production we purchased 4 spare plastic gates. After a few hundred uses the old one is showing some light wear, especially since we usually anchor in less than 14' and the hook is often dragging around on the ground.

The only issue we have found is the safety wire on the shackle trends to get beat up and starts to break after a few months of use. I have replaced it many times although I found that putting a zip tie on the twist part keeps it from getting bent back and forth and it lasts much longer. Long enough this last time for the cheap harbor freight "stainless" wire to start to stain a bit. It is stainLESS steel not quite stainFREE steel.

I use a second cheap chain hook and another line up on the bow roller to protect the windlass in case the Mantus ever failed but it never has.

The plastic gate rarely sees UV since it is usually a dozen feet under water or stored in the bag the Mantus bridle came with in the chain locker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210602_092527486.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	239593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210602_092723344.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	239594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210602_092936432.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	239595  
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 19:34   #75

Boat: Catalina 350

I've got an M2 mantus hook and like it a lot. I spliced 2 lines to it for a bridle. Works great. After a couple of seasons, the rubber strap looked like it was starting to crack so I wanted to order a couple of replacements. Price on the mantus site was reasonable, but shipping seemed ridiculous. So I called them on it. Wondered if they could just send them out priority for a reasonable fee. He took my address and sent one out free of charge. Great company. I see they came through in the thread above. We have a mantus anchor on each of our boats, and the hook on one of them. Great products (and support).
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mantus