Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 12:21   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
Following an expensive windlass rebuild !!! I now use the chain hook to set the anchor. Easy for me as the chain is at deck level. Geez i'm fed up with, ' learning the hard way !! '
I went through a number of chain hooks* before figuring out the easiest, and best way, was a simple rolling hitch. But I still use one of the hooks similar to your setup Bob.

The hook is connected to a well-backed point in front of my windlass. I use the hook to quickly take the weight off the windlass whenever we're backing down, or indeed, after the anchor has been set.

So those hooks do have their uses .

*I've never tried a Mantus hook.
Old 28-02-2021, 13:05   #17

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Ha! I finally, after 5 years, had a chance to use my Mantus M1 Chain Hook... and.

We had been using a Wichard 5/16" halyard shackle to attach to our 3/8" G4 chain, but we bent the pin last year in the TS that went up the Chesapeake (it still works, but we can take a hint).
I like the rolling hitch, but my anchor maiden (& Admiral of the Ocean Sea) is not in favor, especially undoing covered in mud, etc. So I've built a soft shackle arrangement out of 1/4" Dyneema that is all one piece and firmly attached to the end of the 1/2" nylon snubber. (no separate pieces to go walkabout)
I also have an 4T Tylaska-type shackle on a short 3/4" nylon leash (spliced through a bow mooring cleat) that both protects the windlass by attaching to the chain while at anchor and also holds the anchor in its stowed location against the roller.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 13:29   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
We had been using a Wichard 5/16" halyard shackle to attach to our 3/8" G4 chain, but we bent the pin last year in the TS that went up the Chesapeake (it still works, but we can take a hint).
I like the rolling hitch, but my anchor maiden (& Admiral of the Ocean Sea) is not in favor, especially undoing covered in mud, etc. So I've built a soft shackle arrangement out of 1/4" Dyneema that is all one piece and firmly attached to the end of the 1/2" nylon snubber. (no separate pieces to go walkabout)
I also have an 4T Tylaska-type shackle on a short 3/4" nylon leash (spliced through a bow mooring cleat) that both protects the windlass by attaching to the chain while at anchor and also holds the anchor in its stowed location against the roller.

Hartley
S/V Atsa

I use a similar system - a shackle and nylon line. However, the snubber line needs to be elastic. Short 3/4 nylon is not elastic, I use 5/16 line and a rubber docking snubber. The line has chaffed through or snapped a couple of times but the shackle is the same one I have been using for a couple of decades.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 13:37   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

I like the soft shackle idea. I hope to try it out once I get back to my boat.
Old 28-02-2021, 13:40   #20

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post

Hartley
S/V Atsa
any pictures?
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 14:30   #21

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Stormalong said:
"However, the snubber line needs to be elastic. Short 3/4 nylon is not elastic,"

No, it's not, which is why our snubber is 20' of 1/2" nylon. The short (3'?) 3/4" piece is just for the windlass protection/anchor stowage shackle, which is not expected to have to be dynamic.

Facciatosta: "any pictures?" Not of the soft shackle, as it's still sitting in the "winter projects done" bag, waiting until winter eases it's grip on Atsa!

Here's a picture of the short "protection" piece, keeping the anchor stowed. This was taken at the dock, so ignore the mooring lines.

https://ibb.co/ZGjJtRW

(you'll have to click - for some reason Cruiser's Forum won't accept the link as an image)

Note that the chain goes under the small roller - this keeps the lead to the horizontal windlass fair.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 15:34   #22

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I use the Mantus Bridle with a Shockle interposed between the Bridle and the Mantus (M1) chain hook. We use it all the time and have never had any trouble with this arrangement. It just works flawlessly.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 16:22   #23

Here's an interesting question... has anyone modified the Mantus M1 chain hook to eliminate the plastic and do something better than a flap of plastic?

Pictures?
Old 28-02-2021, 16:47   #24

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

So on Mantus site, they on size they sell the M1 chain hook is for 1/4" chain . . . am I missing something?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
So on Mantus site, they on size they sell the M1 chain hook is for 1/4" chain . . . am I missing something?

Yes. The M1 was their first version, and has been replaced by the M2... so my guess is that they are selling out their M1.

At one time they made the M1 in Stainless and Galvanized.
Old 28-02-2021, 17:27   #26

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We have a Mantus hook with the plastic gate, and a bunch of other hooks too. The Mantus stays on (simple chain hooks seem to fall off when the anchorage is particularly bumpy), when the gate is closed and can fall off if the gate is not closed. The hook is attached to a Mantus double bridle and is super strong and confidence inspiring. However, the setup at the front of our bigger boat makes it super hard to get the hook on and off. It will not go through the bow roller and requires hanging off the front of the boat to attach the hook and close the gate with one hand. Not easy. Getting it off with one hand is even harder because of the way the gate works.

Somebody in this forum posted a pic of a soft shackle and a climbing sling to attach the snubber to the chain. We have adopted this approach on our second boat and it is a dream. It goes through the roller so everything can be attached easily on deck and removed similarly easily. The rated strength of the soft shackle and sling is impressive. Two of them doubly so. If and when we get back to the boat in Tahiti we will abandon the Mantus hook but keep using the Mantus bridle.
Old 28-02-2021, 18:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
We have a Mantus hook with the plastic gate, and a bunch of other hooks too. The Mantus stays on (simple chain hooks seem to fall off when the anchorage is particularly bumpy), when the gate is closed and can fall off if the gate is not closed. The hook is attached to a Mantus double bridle and is super strong and confidence inspiring. However, the setup at the front of our bigger boat makes it super hard to get the hook on and off. It will not go through the bow roller and requires hanging off the front of the boat to attach the hook and close the gate with one hand. Not easy. Getting it off with one hand is even harder because of the way the gate works.

Somebody in this forum posted a pic of a soft shackle and a climbing sling to attach the snubber to the chain. We have adopted this approach on our second boat and it is a dream. It goes through the roller so everything can be attached easily on deck and removed similarly easily. The rated strength of the soft shackle and sling is impressive. Two of them doubly so. If and when we get back to the boat in Tahiti we will abandon the Mantus hook but keep using the Mantus bridle.
Can you teach me more about the soft shackle and a climbing sling along with the snubber and how it relates to the mantus bridle... I also like the build on the bridle... but would like an alternative to the hook.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 28-02-2021, 18:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
Can you teach me more about the soft shackle and a climbing sling along with the snubber and how it relates to the mantus bridle... I also like the build on the bridle... but would like an alternative to the hook.

Thanks,
Pete
With apologies (and thanks!) to the person who posted this pic, this is the soft shackle, dyneema sling combination. It should work fine with the Mantus bridle.

Old 28-02-2021, 19:40   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
With apologies (and thanks!) to the person who posted this pic, this is the soft shackle, dyneema sling combination. It should work fine with the Mantus bridle.

In this application, what purpose does the sling accomplish? Why not put the soft shackle directly through the chain link? I think Nolex and SWL have done that for some years now with good results.

I would have thought if one wanted to use a sling, it would be deployed as a Prussik hitch around the chain. In fact, it isn't clear how the one in the pic is threaded through the link, now that I think about it... maybe missing something clever here??

But really, unless one routinely anchors in water less than the snubber's length in depth, a conventional chain hook works fine... has for me for many years of living at anchor.

Jim
Old 28-02-2021, 19:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In this application, what purpose does the sling accomplish? Why not put the soft shackle directly through the chain link? I think Nolex and SWL have done that for some years now with good results.

I would have thought if one wanted to use a sling, it would be deployed as a Prussik hitch around the chain. In fact, it isn't clear how the one in the pic is threaded through the link, now that I think about it... maybe missing something clever here??

But really, unless one routinely anchors in water less than the snubber's length in depth, a conventional chain hook works fine... has for me for many years of living at anchor.

Jim
Two things:

1. the soft shackle will not fit through the chain link on my 3/8" chain, hence the sling. the picture clearly shows the sling going through a link, not around it as it would with a Prussik knot (as an old, ex climber (i.e. before Jumars etc became more prevalent), I am familiar with these knots);
2. Much depends on the configuration of pulpit, anchor roller, windlass etc at the bow. On some boats I am sure that it is easy to attach a chain hook with good effect. On my boat(s) it isn't. This set up is much better.

Tags
Mantus