Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 21:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Getting a Few Weeks Dockage, Mooring Directly ?

I was curious as to wether property owners rent direct to boat owners on the florida Keys? I.e, if you own a house that has mooring at the end of the garden and the owner either does not have a boat or has space for another! Ive searched several Marinas and it seems very expensive especialy Key West, or does everyone find Anchorage? We are hoping (depending on a property sale) to spend a couple of years sailing to different destinations, the Keys would definately be on the list but but we would need to keep an eye on our budget, my searchs show Key West at least $3-$5 per foot meaning a 40ft boat would cost a fortune for 3 or so weeks! Are there any secrets to be shared (apart from winning the lottery) Many thanks, Pablo!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 22:32   #2
cruiser

is that a daily rate???

monthly rates are about $13+ per foot when i was looking last month, (per month) in key west

marathon was cheaper.

and i did see some property owners renting out ther docks.. i saw them on craigslist, and there was another site and i forgot to bookmark it, but it was for advertising slips..
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 03:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
is that a daily rate???

monthly rates are about $13+ per foot when i was looking last month, (per month) in key west

marathon was cheaper.

and i did see some property owners renting out ther docks.. i saw them on craigslist, and there was another site and i forgot to bookmark it, but it was for advertising slips..
That is WAY cheaper than anything I have seen on line, my calculations were on a daily or weekly rate, on line I found nothing in a semi decent location in Key West for less than $3 per foot per day, thats $840 per week for a 40ft boat or well over $2000 for 3 weeks! Going on your prices I have calculated wrongly on a MASSIVE scale, which is good news!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 05:33   #4

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Do a search on the internet for "slips docks for rent Key West" or whatever place you are interested in visiting. You should find lots of offerings. Another way to look at the costs, maybe spend a couple of days at a marina then the same or longer time at anchor there are lots of nice anchorages in the area. That way you will see more places and it will cut your cost also.
Have a great trip
Steve W.
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 07:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
The City Mooring Field is $295/month in Key West
Old 25-01-2011, 08:15   #6
cruiser

yes, lots of anchorages, but not lots of slips available in key west... everyone i spoke with suggested to NOT slip in key west as it is expensive... and limited availability..
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring