Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 13-03-2008, 07:39   #1

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Question Dockage for new cat?

So after chartering an Island Spirit 401 for two weeks in the BVI in Dec. of '07 I'm really excited to get a Cat and find a place to keep it. I'm very interested in the Fastcat's!
Island hopping in the carribean for a few winters would be just what we need to get our feet more wet.
So this is my question... Living in landlocked Idaho (near Teton National Park), if I were to purchase this dream cat (45' with 24' beam) I wonder where to keep it docked for summers?
Should I and the wife and two kids just find a place on a different island each spring when we are ready to come home?
Different countries?
We'd probably be coming to live and sail on the boat for two months in the fall and two months in the spring (mud seasons!)
I did just find this http://www.docksearch.com/l/listing_1449.asp?lid=1449
Is this very expensive?
Are their thousands of available docks along the gulf coast?
How long does it take to sail from say the Florida keys to the BVI?
I'm totally new at this and I'm in dream mode so any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 02:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
So after chartering an Island Spirit 401 for two weeks in the BVI in Dec. of '07 I'm really excited to get a Cat and find a place to keep it. I'm very interested in the Fastcat's!
Island hopping in the carribean for a few winters would be just what we need to get our feet more wet.
So this is my question... Living in landlocked Idaho (near Teton National Park), if I were to purchase this dream cat (45' with 24' beam) I wonder where to keep it docked for summers?
Should I and the wife and two kids just find a place on a different island each spring when we are ready to come home?
Different countries?
We'd probably be coming to live and sail on the boat for two months in the fall and two months in the spring (mud seasons!)
I did just find this DockSearch.com - Your place to find dockage for your boat and rent or sell your boat dock space or slip.
Is this very expensive?
Are their thousands of available docks along the gulf coast?
How long does it take to sail from say the Florida keys to the BVI?
I'm totally new at this and I'm in dream mode so any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.
I do not know about expenses but having a cat in the fall in the northern carib does not sound very appetizing to me with the hurricane season
Trinidad , Tobago and Barbados are a good place for the fall or the coastline of Panama, Costa Rica and surroundings are very nice to be.
Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 05:51   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
The cheap way into Cat's is the Moorings (and others) lease to purchase scheme. I gather you get a month a year for your twenty per cent payment and the boat is yours after three years. If you rent the other month you want I'm sure you'll get good rates and a range of other places to go.
I'm considering the Med and will leave the boat there for the winter as UK mooring costs are very high and the Bay of Biscay very unpredictable.
It's an option, there are good and bad reports on Buy to Lease Threads.
Old 15-03-2008, 07:36   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
For 250K it seems like a lot of money just for a dock, but then it is in the upper Keys. Unless you have a hankerin for the Keys I'd look further north on the west coast of Fl. what with the real estate market still tanking here you could probably fine a dock a lot cheaper. Also the limit on 4 foot draw would concern me. How deep is the dock and more importantly how deep is the channel in and out of the dock.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 12:53   #5

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
First I sailed a Moorings 46 from BVI to south Florida last December and, taking advantage of the tradewinds, made the trip in 6 days sailing around the clock. A very tiring trip for 2.
There is no "safe" place in the caribbean from July to late November since it is the hieght of Hurricane season, this goes for the south east coast of the U.S. as well, including all the Gulf coast states.
With that said we have our boat at a Marina on the East Coast of Florida in Cocoa on the ICW. We take our chances because the sailing territory is excellent with easy access to the Keys and the Bahamas and a great view of the Space Shuttle launches.
An other reason is that if we moved one more county south of us we would not be able to get insurance. South East Florida is an insurance nightmare. Even with that said, we pay a hefty premium for keeping the boat in the Hurricane Zone.
Most Insurance companies will not cover you south of the Turks and Cacios unless to ask for an extra rider (even more money for them).
If you take the boat up the east coast to NC (which also gets hit by Huricanes) you premiums will come down (when I asked my agent about this, there comment is that there are less boat there than in Florida so if a storm hits the losses would be less for them).
Insurance is a major part of your decision, having spent the money for a nice and expensive boat, I wouldn't over look this issue.
You also need to looking at where you will register your boat and if you will Coast Guard document it. If you register in Florida you will have to pay sales tax, a hefty amount on a boat, if you don't you need to have it out of the State, I believe, every 90 days. there is a LEGAL way around this and it was just discussed on the Cruiser Net a few weeks ago. This tax is big revenue for the State so If you try to get away without paying taxes and stay in florida anyway you will get caught, then you will have to pay the taxes and a fine!
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 09:24   #6

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
I do not know about expenses but having a cat in the fall in the northern carib does not sound very appetizing to me with the hurricane season
Trinidad , Tobago and Barbados are a good place for the fall or the coastline of Panama, Costa Rica and surroundings are very nice to be.
Greetings
OK, so no dock in Florida.
Do all of these other places have long term moorings available? How about the capability to haul out a Cat with a 20-30 foot beam to store on dry land for the hurrcane season?
I remember seeing lots of boats on the dry in Nanny Cay and Spanish Town in the BVI's... what does this cost? Who do you contact? I assume these other countries have such services, how do I find them? My Google search options are dwindling.
How about registration and insurance? Do these countries allow you to register and insure your boat if its kept there regularly?
Thank You all for information to my clearly naiive questions!!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 09:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
OK, so no dock in Florida.
Do all of these other places have long term moorings available? How about the capability to haul out a Cat with a 20-30 foot beam to store on dry land for the hurrcane season?
I remember seeing lots of boats on the dry in Nanny Cay and Spanish Town in the BVI's... what does this cost? Who do you contact? I assume these other countries have such services, how do I find them? My Google search options are dwindling.
How about registration and insurance? Do these countries allow you to register and insure your boat if its kept there regularly?
Thank You all for information to my clearly naiive questions!!
Hallo Solarbri

This site might help you , I know that St Martin and Trinidad have long term moorings available and the new harbor in Barbados

Others I am not so sure about
Storing a boat on land is often possible but not very attractive if you decide to take the boat out on short notice My Next Marina, Country Listing Caribbean, Central America
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 13:07   #8
GPM

I have a Lagoon 440 that I keep at a dock in Soper's Hole, Tortola from November to April. I looked at options for dockage the rest of the year. From an insurance perspective, it is best to get it out of the hurricane zone. I did look into hauling at Nanny Cay, their rates are on their website. In the end I decided to bring it North and use it year-round. However, finding dockage in the Northeast for a cat is close to impossible. Annapolis was booked for cats, I finally found a place in Mystic, CT that could accomodate. Since I am from CT, that works. Good luck.
GPM is offline   Reply With Quote