Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2018, 05:15   #16

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Electric Windlass for a complete deck installation? Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Franziska,

Given the rather exposed location I think I would opt for a manual windlass. I just see lots of problems with wiring and corrosion otherwise. We have a manual one on our 5T yacht, which I use occasionally when the tide is running or its blowing a hooley as it does in this part of the world. Even with the tide running the manual is vertical drum is easy to use.

Its that keep it simple stupid (KISS) approach, which I need to keep reminding myself of. Otherwise you end up fixing stuff all day long.

I don't know how to size a windlass, but how about something like this? a lot cheaper too.

Horizontal Windlasses: Lofrans Royal Manual Windlass 8mm Gypsy With Drum (404725)

Actually, given that the load isn't great a vertical drum will be quicker to use and winch in, so something like this which often turn up on e bay:

http://slspares.co.uk/pdf/Website%20...n%20Manual.pdf

Pete
I checked with Lofrans just to verify the ad info was correct. Their manual gypsy will not work with rope, not even 8-plait.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 13:01   #17

Re: Electric Windlass for a complete deck installation? Recommendations?

I like the Lofrans horizontal. All parts above deck, not in a wet locker. You can monitor and change the oil, readily. The shaft seal is vertical, not horizontal on the bottom. And the manual retrieve actually will work, pretty well. Someday you'll have to use it.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, electric, installation, men, wind, windlass